Arturia Analog Lab V vs Syntronik Opinions

dubdisciple

5 hours ago, Homer Jones said:

Arturia, definitely; you can do lots of tweaking.
Wait…
• Unless you want fuller, richer, more dynamic, more authentic sound… then Syntronik 2.
• Unless you want a consistent and larger, more comprehensive set of effects… then Syntronik 2.
• Unless you want 4 preset/instrument layering; with independent arp/sequencer, full effects, midi control (PB, mod wheel, sustain, aftertouch) filtering, keyboard range, velocity range, and tuning per layer… then Syntronik 2.
• Unless you want a significantly lower price; especially with the current amazing group buy pricing… then Syntronik 2.
• Unless you want sounds from more classic synths… then Syntronik 2.
• Unless you want the choice of 7 filters (including circuit-level models of 4 well-known classics) per instrument preset… then Syntronik 2.
Yeah, otherwise Arturia, especially if you want pianos and organs.

I own and love Arturia, especially Pigments. But when it comes to rich, full, authentic sound, IMHO many of those Syntronik 2 sounds just can't be beat.

Note: The preceding opinion is mine; go get your own! Download the free Syntronik 2 and give it a test. Or, at least go to the Syntronik 2 webpage and listen (on a good set of speakers or headphones) to the audio demos - the overview ones for Syntronik 2 as well as the ones for the individual Syntronik 2 synths. And check out the currenly available (limited time) amazing Group Buy - up to all 33 (currently 24) Syntronik 2 synths for the price of one ($49.99, or about $35 if you have IK Multimedia 'Jam Points'). 

Thanks for the awesome opinion. I ended up going with Arturia. A large part of my decision was disc space. The syntronik approximation of v collection was massive. The group buy is tempting, but it may be overkill at this point

• Like 1

5 hours ago, abacab said:

I did notice that the presets in Syntronik 2 load faster!

But they could still use a feature like NI has with NKS previews. Indispensable with large sample libraries!

I do like that arturia uses nks. The preview is such a timesaver with so many presets

12 hours ago, dubdisciple said:

I do like that arturia uses nks. The preview is such a timesaver with so many presets

Not so sure about that here. The Arturia presets load for me as fast as the NKS previews do.

• Like 1

I tended to favor the Arturia route as well. Some things look great on paper or in the spec. However in real life use I simply need certain sounds and Arturia has them custom tied to my controller.

Syntronic is a great bunch of synths too. Since I don't tend to modify my sounds extensively or build custom sounds and since I found something that works for me in Arturia, I seldom reach for anything Syntronik. The sounds in the Arturia collections are plenty amazing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tim Smith said:

I tended to favor the Arturia route as well. Some things look great on paper or in the spec. However in real life use I simply need certain sounds and Arturia has them custom tied to my controller.

Syntronic is a great bunch of synths too. Since I don't tend to modify my sounds extensively or build custom sounds and since I found something that works for me in Arturia, I seldom reach for anything Syntronik. The sounds in the Arturia collections are plenty amazing. 

I have tried a couple syntronik synths and they sound great to me. I think i would have been happy either way. The fact that i have an arturia controller did make arturia choice easier

• Like 1

I'm caving on the group buy too. The way I see Syntronik 2 is: 'if the sound I want is there, I use it because it sounds amazing'; and especially with Syntronik 2, there is so much variety I can often find the sound I want. Also, with the new Edit facility, the new Waveset Browser, the new modmatrix, and all those awesome effects (71 in S2!), if I find a preset that's 'close', I can now tweak it to sometimes get just the right sound.
Occasionally, when I find an awesome sound I want in Syntronik, I try to reproduce it using the Arturia emulation of the same or similar hardware synth. But try as I might, I just can't seem to get it to sound as full, rich, smooth/warm as the Syntronik one; granted, this may simply be due to my limited experience and sound design ability. Given all this, I just can't pass up the chance to get so many (currently closing in on 25 for the price of 1) of the S2 synths for just 35 bucks (that's using 15 of my recently-gifted IK Multimedia jam points of course, otherwise it's $49.99).

But whatever you have/use, have fun!! 
...Actually, that's another thing about S2, jamming with it out a good set of speakers is just so dang fun!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

After having some real world time to incorporate everything into my workflow, I have no regrets on decision. I now have most of my templates setup with arturia synths and Kontakt. Pigments is my primary synth and Analog Lab 5 is my default when I don't know quite what I want from the beginning.  I spend less time trying to decide which synths to use since there is generally a suitable placeholder that allows me to focus on creating. 

• Great Idea 1

1 hour ago, dubdisciple said:

After having some real world time to incorporate everything into my workflow, I have no regrets on decision. I now have most of my templates setup with arturia synths and Kontakt. Pigments is my primary synth and Analog Lab 5 is my default when I don't know quite what I want from the beginning.  I spend less time trying to decide which synths to use since there is generally a suitable placeholder that allows me to focus on creating. 

This guy has the right idea, but even though he's aimed his idea at the professional orchestral  or cinematic composer, the principle applies to anyone making music.

Select effective instrumental combinations and keep it focused and simple! Templates, or songwriting pallettes! :)

Hilarious intro here on collecting libraries (recovery  plan for Deals forum addicts):

Edited by abacab
  • Thanks 2

On 8/21/2022 at 10:29 AM, abacab said:

This guy has the right idea, but even though he's aimed his idea at the professional orchestral  or cinematic composer, the principle applies to anyone making music.

Select effective instrumental combinations and keep it focused and simple! Templates, or songwriting pallettes! :)

Hilarious intro here on collecting libraries (recovery  plan for Deals forum addicts):

Funny intro. We have all been there. Good share. Thanks

• Haha 1