Arturia Analog Lab V vs Syntronik Opinions

dubdisciple

I just added an arturia minilab mk2 to my collection, which came with analog lab lite. They offered an upgrade for $69 to full. I am contemplating either this or grabbing the ik equivalents via syntronik. I love the sounds in the lite/intro version that came with .  obviously experiences vary but does anyone have both and can share pros and cons of each?

• Like 1

I have the full Analog Lab V and the full Syntronik.

I would consider them both to be preset machines, and both have great sounds! But both are limited to the oscillators designed into the presets.

So as a preset machine, I would lean towards Analog Lab. Simply because modeled synths have nearly instantaneous preset load times, so are much easier to audition sounds with. And IMO the preset browser is more advanced in Analog Lab. And your MiniLab MK2 should have built-in control maps for AL, so you are ready to play!

In comparison, every time you select a preset in Syntronik, you then will need to load it and wait for the samples to load... YMMV on load times, based on your computer and drive speed. Just something to consider.  But some of the sounds are worth the wait! Just takes a bit more patience to find them, and recommend setting them as favorites!

However, Syntronik is more useful if you like to create layers and splits, with up to 4 instruments. And it has a very nice dynamic arpeggiator. Analog Lab is limited to 2 parts.

So try out the Syntronik Free version, and compare for yourself! :)

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/syntronik/index.php?p=versions

Zero Risk: Syntronik Free

Experience the amazing quality, flexibility and authentic sounds of Syntronik for yourself. Syntronik Free is a fully functional FREE version of Syntronik with 50 instrument presets, 38 effects, parts, Multis and arpeggiators that you can play and edit with sounds taken from the massive Syntronik library that can be used as a plug-in or standalone virtual instrument.

Edited by abacab
  • Thanks 2

Most of the Syntronik Modules stand out. Depends on what your favorite vintage sounds are. I'm no help here, LOL!

IK added a few new instruments after the original release, and I think several of them are very good, such as VCF-3 (EMS VCS3), Memory-V (Memorymoog), and M-Poly (Korg Mono/Poly and Polysix)..

Try Syntronik Free and see if you vibe with any in particular. Maybe the Alesis Andromeda (Galaxy in "Syntronik" speak), is one to check out. Erik Norlander was the sound designer for IK Syntronik, and was on the original Alesis Andromeda design team for that one. That's a rare synth, and I think the only one that others have not emulated yet. Erik also owns most of the other well cared for vintage gear that he sampled for Syntronik.

Decisions, decisions... 😉

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/syntronik/index.php?p=instruments&pkey=syntronik-instruments-all

Edited by abacab
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I recently bought the Arturia Keylab 49 Essential which comes with Analog Lab and Analog Lab V for free. I've been using them both and I absolutely love it. I haven't used Syntronik so take that with a grain of salt but I just wanted to say that Analog Lab is pretty good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Eric Liu said:

I recently bought the Arturia Keylab 49 Essential which comes with Analog Lab and Analog Lab V for free. I've been using them both and I absolutely love it. I haven't used Syntronik so take that with a grain of salt but I just wanted to say that Analog Lab is pretty good.

I ended up getting arturia minilab mk 2 for only $79 because of a sign mistake at guitar center. It came with analog lab intro.  I got offered an upgrade to full analog lab v for $39 so I basically got controller and lab v for less than price of controller. I am loving it. Does make me want v collection.

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

On 12/2/2021 at 9:53 PM, dubdisciple said:

I ended up getting arturia minilab mk 2 for only $79 because of a sign mistake at guitar center. It came with analog lab intro.  I got offered an upgrade to full analog lab v for $39 so I basically got controller and lab v for less than price of controller. I am loving it. Does make me want v collection.

$79?!?! What a steal! 

On 12/2/2021 at 9:53 PM, dubdisciple said:

Great deal!

How are those "slim keys" on the minilab? Any different from the mini keys used on an Akai MPK mini, for example?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, abacab said:

Great deal!

How are those "slim keys" on the minilab? Any different from the mini keys used on an Akai MPK mini, for example?

Takes some getting used to and not ideal for live playing anything beyond chords but about same as akai. Pads are more responsive than i expected. The rotary controllers are very useful with arturia products and others if you are lucky enough to find mappings. MPC 2 comes with map file and it pairs great. By far my favorite controller to use with MPC. Works great with Ableton preset too.

1 hour ago, Eric Liu said:

$79?!?! What a steal! 

They had multiple signs around store advertising it. It was either a bait and switch attempt or dreadful mistake but the fact there were multiple signs in different locations with picture of product made it hard for them to walk it back.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dubdisciple said:

Takes some getting used to and not ideal for live playing anything beyond chords but about same as akai. Pads are more responsive than i expected. The rotary controllers are very useful with arturia products and others if you are lucky enough to find mappings. MPC 2 comes with map file and it pairs great. By far my favorite controller to use with MPC. Works great with Ableton preset too.

Ah, thanks! I picked up an MPK mini a few years ago when I was looking for a portable controller, but had to return it as it wasn't compatible with my extra large hands.

I have a full size Arturia controller that I love, and it maps very well to Analog Lab. You mentioned that you like AL, so I'm sure you would love the full V Collection 8. I sure do! The Analog Lab is still very useful with the full V Collection, and serves as a portal to that ginormous instrument and preset collection, so that you can preview them all in one interface. 😁

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, abacab said:

Ah, thanks! I picked up an MPK mini a few years ago when I was looking for a portable controller, but had to return it as it wasn't compatible with my extra large hands.

I have a full size Arturia controller that I love, and it maps very well to Analog Lab. You mentioned that you like AL, so I'm sure you would love the full V Collection 8. I sure do! The Analog Lab is still very useful with the full V Collection, and serves as a portal to that ginormous instrument and preset collection, so that you can preview them all in one interface. 😁

I am so tempted. I do have full version of pigments and i use it on almost everything. I am hoping to catch a deal on collection from kvr or other seller with below even sale price

1 hour ago, dubdisciple said:

I am so tempted. I do have full version of pigments and i use it on almost everything. I am hoping to catch a deal on collection from kvr or other seller with below even sale price

Arturia finally sent me an offer to buy the full V Collection 8 for $249. At the time all I owned was Pigments, Piano V, and Analog Lab 4/5.

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

Arturia, definitely; you can do lots of tweaking.
Wait…
• Unless you want fuller, richer, more dynamic, more authentic sound… then Syntronik 2.
• Unless you want a consistent and larger, more comprehensive set of effects… then Syntronik 2.
• Unless you want 4 preset/instrument layering; with independent arp/sequencer, full effects, midi control (PB, mod wheel, sustain, aftertouch) filtering, keyboard range, velocity range, and tuning per layer… then Syntronik 2.
• Unless you want a significantly lower price; especially with the current amazing group buy pricing… then Syntronik 2.
• Unless you want sounds from more classic synths… then Syntronik 2.
• Unless you want the choice of 7 filters (including circuit-level models of 4 well-known classics) per instrument preset… then Syntronik 2.
Yeah, otherwise Arturia, especially if you want pianos and organs.

I own and love Arturia, especially Pigments. But when it comes to rich, full, authentic sound, IMHO many of those Syntronik 2 sounds just can't be beat.

Note: The preceding opinion is mine; go get your own! Download the free Syntronik 2 and give it a test. Or, at least go to the Syntronik 2 webpage and listen (on a good set of speakers or headphones) to the audio demos - the overview ones for Syntronik 2 as well as the ones for the individual Syntronik 2 synths. And check out the currenly available (limited time) amazing Group Buy - up to all 33 (currently 24) Syntronik 2 synths for the price of one ($49.99, or about $35 if you have IK Multimedia 'Jam Points'). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1