Large pitch bend troubles (RPN)

Dave G

Question

Trying out the demo of Rapture Pro, I'm learning about large pitch bends. I thought this would be easier, but I'm ashamed I have to ask for help on this.

Rapture handles typical pitch bends (instrument bend range defaulted to 2), normally. However, I'm having difficulty managing larger pitch bends...

First, in the Controller pane, I draw a Wheel line from 0 - 8,192. Then, once I set the UP knob higher than 2, that overrides every RPN level I'd set in the controller pane. Perfect for one static bend range throughout the track, but certainly not open to flexibility for multiple ranges programmed in the track.

So I can't set varied ranges, because that UP knob set to 24; every pitch bend on the track will go the full two octaves. This setting doesn't leave the track open to a variety of pitch bends, just one set to 24 notes.

May I please get some insight on this function? Is there another step I'm missing to set variable RPN's/bends in a Rapture instrument track?

Screenshots included: a) Two test pitch bent notes, drawn to 8,192, each rising to the key of the next note, b) the Perform section of the instrument Element window, defaulted to 2. First note bend rises by one octave; the third note bend rises two octaves.

Thank you in advance. :)

bend.jpg

RP (bend).jpg

Edited by Dave G

59 minutes ago, Promidi said:

The NRPN parameter names that appear depend on the actual synth used.  The Bend Up/Down parameters are Rapture.  The NRPN parameters you’re seeing are for TTS-1
For TTS-1 you need to use RPN0  This is the GM standard for pitch bend range, which TTS-1 adheres to.

In TTS-1, to get the actual RPN value , you multiply 128 by the pitch bend range you want.

To get a range of  4 semi tones, you use RPN 0 > 512      (128 x 4)
To get a range of  7 semi tones, you use RPN 0 > 896      (128 x 7)
To get a range of 12 semi tones, you use RPN 0 > 1536      (128 x 12)

Hmmmm...I suddenly wonder if we're talking about two different functions. RPN or NRPN?

I've learned the use of RPN and confirmed its functionality in TTS-1. However, I also learned that it doesn't work for Cakewalk Sound Center and Rapture Pro.

If we're crossing our signals, I apologize for dragging you through this. LOL. I'm inquiring whether NRPN events would satisfy the large bend function in the way that RPN doesn't?

If this is indeed the case, I'm perfectly happy delegating my large pitch bend needs strictly to TTS-1 and leaving it at that. TTS-1 and Cakewalk Sound Center are the only VST libraries I have (which I'm completely content with).

5 minutes ago, Dave G said:

Hmmmm...I suddenly wonder if we're talking about two different functions. RPN or NRPN?

I've learned the use of RPN and confirmed its functionality in TTS-1. However, I also learned that it doesn't work for Cakewalk Sound Center and Rapture Pro.

If we're crossing our signals, I apologize for dragging you through this. LOL. I'm inquiring whether NRPN events would satisfy the large bend function in the way that RPN doesn't?

If this is indeed the case, I'm perfectly happy delegating my large pitch bend needs strictly to TTS-1 and leaving it at that. TTS-1 and Cakewalk Sound Center are the only VST libraries I have (which I'm completely content with).

Well it depends on the synth.  TTS-1 can use RPN0  for pitch bend range.  Rapture needs to use an NRPN event

If a synth’s pitch bend range can be automated, then that same parameter will be listed as an NRPN

If you check the list of any synth’s automatable parameters, you will find that list will match the list of that synths NRPN parameters.

If the pitch bend range of Cakewalk Sound Centre can be automated, then it will be there somewhere in its NRPN parameter list (I don’t have CSC, so I can’t test)