Silver and Gold (ambient pop music)

Larry T.

so....here is my third attempt at creating a song with CbB....this is Silver and Gold....it's ambient pop music....by all means, carry on....

https://larryterrano.bandcamp.com/track/silver-and-gold-ambient-pop-music

CbB, pc: windows 10, i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40 GHz, 8GB ram, electric guitar, bass guitar, focusrite scarlett solo, arturia minilab mkII, arturia analog lab lite, CbB effects. 

Edited by Larry T.
  • Like 1

On 10/3/2021 at 6:55 PM, jwnicholson78 said:

I'm not sure what ambient pop music is :)   But I liked this.  Put me in a nice mellow mood.  Well done!

Thank You very much jwnicholson78....i, too, am not sure what ambient pop music is but it seemed to be what i would call silver and cold...truth is i am having the hardest time getting used to the DAW drums....every day a little better....so, in the meantime just making songs with the tools that i can somewhat use 🎸🥁🎼🎺

9 hours ago, jack c. said:

it sound as if one of guitars is out of a 440.put some kind of lead instruments to play some of the melody with guitar.up bass guitar.jack c.

Thank You for listening jack c.....i don't know what you mean by "out of a 440"....please let me know, the echo you mean??....i will sure think about some additional instrumentation...and, you are correct, the bass guitar does need to be a bit louder....i'm being very careful with the bass as i don't want it to overpower the other instruments 🎧🎸🎤🎶

8 hours ago, freddy j said:

This is a nice "cool, breezy" relaxing type of song.  Sounds good but I agree with Jack above -- a bit more instrumentation with melody might add to to  the song.  It depends upon what you were looking to do.

Nice one!

Thank You freddy j....at some point during its creation i realized i had to keep the song relaxing, calm, slow and peaceful....but, as jack c. also said, i will sure think about more instruments and melodies to put it in a happier place 📯🎵🎸🎹

27 minutes ago, jack c. said:

a 440 to me means an instrument being in tune e = e              a=a.jack c.

ohh...ok...well, before i record any guitar or bass i always tune to correct pitch with my guitar tuner so as to not have pitch issues later....so, i am pretty sure all the guitars are correctly tuned, i did use a whammy bar a bit on both the left and right guitars 🎹🎶🎼🎵

The relaxing, slow flowing ambient. Enjoyable soundscape with nice balance.
In my opinion track have enough the bass.
As Jack  mentioned guitars are a bit out of tune between 3:16 and 3:38. .... maybe too much whammy bar.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Makke said:

The relaxing, slow flowing ambient. Enjoyable soundscape with nice balance.
In my opinion track have enough the bass.
As Jack  mentioned guitars are a bit out of tune between 3:16 and 3:38. .... maybe too much whammy bar.

Hello Makke....Thank You very much....i enjoy your music very much....if i may, about the guitar between 3:16 and 3:38, i am playing, at the position of the first fret, 5 chords in this order: A7, Amaj7, A, Amaj7, Fmaj7, so it's a deliberate dissonance that sounds acceptable to my ears....but, apparently, not everyone else's??....my thinking was to use the G string as the moving bass notes (G, G#, A, G# for 4 beats then to the Fmaj7 for the next 4 beats) as somewhat reflected by the bass guitar (the bass guitar couldn't get away with it, so to speak, too much dissonance and not enough harmony, so the bass is playing  G, G, A, F / F, F, F, F more or less)....cheers!!!! 🎶🎸🎼🎷

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Larry T. said:

Hello Makke....Thank You very much....i enjoy your music very much....if i may, about the guitar between 3:16 and 3:38, i am playing, at the position of the first fret, 5 chords in this order: A7, Amaj7, A, Amaj7, Fmaj7, so it's a deliberate dissonance that sounds acceptable to my ears....but, apparently, not everyone else's??....my thinking was to use the G string as the moving bass notes (G, G#, A, G# for 4 beats then to the Fmaj7 for the next 4 beats) as somewhat reflected by the bass guitar (the bass guitar couldn't get away with it, so to speak, too much dissonance and not enough harmony, so the bass is playing  G, G, A, F / F, F, F, F more or less)....cheers!!!! 🎶🎸🎼🎷

Ok. Thank you for the explain the dissonance.
Have a nice week!
Makke

• Like 1

Larry,  Ambient pop. I like the concept.
The intro is a bit long and you have those 4 notes repeated throughout. They would make a nice background if you lay something on top.
Also the timing seems a bit off in places.
But overall it's very promising for sure.
-Bjorn

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bjornpdx said:

Larry,  Ambient pop. I like the concept.
The intro is a bit long and you have those 4 notes repeated throughout. They would make a nice background if you lay something on top.
Also the timing seems a bit off in places.
But overall it's very promising for sure.
-Bjorn

Hello bjornpdx....Thank You for your comments....the song is kind of deliberately minimalist as a lot of ambient music is....i've been addicted to steve reich's "music for 18 musicians" and tried to incorporate some of that into "silver and gold", the concepts, not the music....the timing is something i am struggling with as my stuff does have dynamics and subtleties which SI Drums doesn't follow and I am still figuring out if SI Drums can be corrected....here is a link to a section of a recording of "music for 18 musicians" by Ensemble Signal in case anyone is interested .... cheers!!!! 🎶🎵🎻🥁

Edited by Larry T.
improvement.
  • Like 1

Pretty wonderful. Very subjective as to what a person would do to this mix. Your tastes are not horrible. I would make the lead tremolo guitar "brighter" in the mix. There is a bit of rumbly muddiness that could maybe be thinned up, in your bass guitar I think. I assume you have eq's away everything under like 50hz  from your bass guitar? Is it a bass synth with a really delayed attack? Maybe cut a notch out of 300hz or so as an experiment. I hear the boomy bloom of mud gloom pop in @2:49, that might tell you how the bass is overfilling.  ?

Probably the constant tremolo effect on the guitar might be adding to some over thick bass moments? Did you eq away the lower guitar frequencies you don';t need, say below 300 - 400 hz? Just checking.

I like the arrangement, the theme, and the mellow! Another personal taste for me would be to eliminate that buzzy synth that wanders in. For me it all has a 70's vibe like a cool Joe Walsh instrumental. Some real piano would solidify its left coast rock cred!

keep this going, it's cool.

cheers,

-Tom

Edited by PhonoBrainer
  • Thanks 1

On 10/9/2021 at 7:14 AM, PhonoBrainer said:

Pretty wonderful. Very subjective as to what a person would do to this mix. Your tastes are not horrible. I would make the lead tremolo guitar "brighter" in the mix. There is a bit of rumbly muddiness that could maybe be thinned up, in your bass guitar I think. I assume you have eq's away everything under like 50hz  from your bass guitar? Is it a bass synth with a really delayed attack? Maybe cut a notch out of 300hz or so as an experiment. I hear the boomy bloom of mud gloom pop in @2:49, that might tell you how the bass is overfilling.  ?

Probably the constant tremolo effect on the guitar might be adding to some over thick bass moments? Did you eq away the lower guitar frequencies you don';t need, say below 300 - 400 hz? Just checking.

I like the arrangement, the theme, and the mellow! Another personal taste for me would be to eliminate that buzzy synth that wanders in. For me it all has a 70's vibe like a cool Joe Walsh instrumental. Some real piano would solidify its left coast rock cred!

keep this going, it's cool.

cheers,

-Tom

Hello Tom and Thank You for listening and comments....this is my third attempt at creation/arranging/production/engineering/mixing/mastering so, i really do need all the help i can get 😅....i will give the eq's a second look...the bass part of the song was really a happy accident, one bass is a DI electric bass with no effects, playing the various bass lines all in the C ionian mode, the other bass is a synth from my arturia minilab mkII controller using the Nitzer Bass setting from Analog Lab 4 Lite and is just a one note (D iirc) repetition that, when combined with the DI bass, is bass chords....that's what gives the recording it's kind of orchestral low ends....currently working on the next song then will circle back to the others and apply the eq'ing and other mixing/mastering techniques that i have learned from you guys the last couple of months....Thanks again!!!! 🎶📯🎹🎸 

Edited by Larry T.
improvement.