"The Last Manthric Space Opera of Saturn"

PhonoBrainer

Self-explanatory? I'd love any mix comments. What is poking out or too buried?Ā  Help!!!Ā  Ā  :)

Headphones recommended if you have themĀ  /Ā  please watch video @ 1440 p for max res if you can stream thatĀ  /Ā  many thanks y'all!

Ā 

audio only, Soundcloud:

Ā 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, KurtS said:

Trippy man. Can't comment on the mix , I'm listening on crummy phone ear buds.Ā 

Thanks Kurt, I can't get much bass on my crappy ear buds either! Bon voyage.

Ā 

2 hours ago, jwnicholson78 said:

I have no words.Ā  That was cool as hell.Ā  Everything was perfect to my ears, and it had one hell of a groove.

You, sir, are a master.

awesome comment, made my day, thanks!!

Ā 

1 hour ago, David Sprouse said:

I listened to *tin foil hat*.Ā  Ā What a funny song!Ā  You have a gift for comedy.Ā  Question is, why a cat? (in the picture).Ā  There are no right or wrong answers......

TFH is due for a vocal mixover, it's too crispy and overcompressed. But I'm so glad you found it amusing!!! Thanks. The cat was just the best attention-grabber I could find. Cool lookin' dude.

Tom....... your channel is blowing me away.Ā  Seriously .....youĀ are unique in the universe!

I'm not sure how to critique your stuff. It's very advanced and stands on it's own for originality.

Sonically speaking I think maybe the song should be cradled in a little more low end.Ā  Maybe coming from the bass and kick.Nothing overwhelming but cradling as a larger presence. I'm listening on some ATH m50x. It's late and I'm in church mouse mode.

Are you playing all that I hear?

Regards

Craig

I haven't watched the video yet.
Always listen first....Listening on my Focal Trio's Ā 

Wasn't expecting phasor/flange on crash cymbals... made me smile.
Nice choice of verb... really gave the distance of space feel.

3.57Ā  Ā  Woodblock panning... very nice šŸ™‚Ā 
4.46Ā  Ā  Glass breaking... sounded like the guitar was throwing a paddy/pissed off! Ā lol
5:58Ā  Ā  Ā Loved the Lead.. cuts through nicely.

Very nice mixing with spacialĀ Ā awareness teasing me with reverb and delay.
Mix even stands up well in mono on my avantones

Very clever video...
It is how I imagined it to be at the start without seeing it... Ā pretty cool.
In fact I turned this track up loud... sounds great.

Well done Tom..Ā 

Only comment I would make for my taste would be a little click on the kick.. I cant fault this work mate.
Thanks for the Aural Journey!

Edited by garybrun

Who doesnā€™t love a good space odyssey/oddity?

Iā€™ll not comment on ā€œManthricā€ for fear of revealing my ignorance (is that what I just did? šŸ™ƒ)

Iā€™d bring up the ā€œhatā€ but I fear that deficiency is more about my much abused ears and not your track.

Overall, high marks here, always a fan!

t

@Bajan Blueyouā€™re walk-inā€™ all over me man šŸ˜Ž

5 hours ago, CSW said:

Tom....... your channel is blowing me away.Ā  Seriously .....youĀ are unique in the universe!

I'm not sure how to critique your stuff. It's very advanced and stands on it's own for originality.

Sonically speaking I think maybe the song should be cradled in a little more low end.Ā  Maybe coming from the bass and kick.Nothing overwhelming but cradling as a larger presence. I'm listening on some ATH m50x. It's late and I'm in church mouse mode.

Are you playing all that I hear?

Regards

Craig

Thanks for the awesome comment! I mixed and remixed, having issues always with "is the low end swamping everything???" Flipping back between decent monitors andĀ headphones. Perhaps the low end was overtamed, I'll give it another test drive, thanks for the observation!

The first funky guitar lead in the reggae groove is Orange Tree Rick 12 guitar jammed through IK's Amplitude 4 (free version) with the problematic Leslie speaker.

The lead guitar at the end is a combo of OTS Dracus + Three Body Tech's Heavier 7. Plus effects!

Drums are a lot of SD3, but frequently blended with some Ujam modules in spots. The snare has Audiothing ClapĀ blended in.

Yeah, a fair bit of trickery! And a fair bit of length, too! Sorry for the eightĀ minutes, a bit too long of course. . . oh well!

Edited by PhonoBrainer

5 hours ago, John Maar said:

It's early here in France. First thing I listened to this morning. You now have 50% more subscribers. I took you from 2 to 3! Those numbers deserve to have many zeros after them. Impressive!

Hello France!!! Thanks John for the nice comment, and the subscriber boost! šŸ˜ƒ much obliged!

4 hours ago, garybrun said:

I haven't watched the video yet.
Always listen first....Listening on my Focal Trio's Ā 

Wasn't expecting phasor/flange on crash cymbals... made me smile.
Nice choice of verb... really gave the distance of space feel.

3.57Ā  Ā  Woodblock panning... very nice šŸ™‚Ā 
4.46Ā  Ā  Glass breaking... sounded like the guitar was throwing a paddy/pissed off! Ā lol
5:58Ā  Ā  Ā Loved the Lead.. cuts through nicely.

Very nice mixing with spacialĀ Ā awareness teasing me with reverb and delay.
Mix even stands up well in mono on my avantones

Very clever video...
It is how I imagined it to be at the start without seeing it... Ā pretty cool.
In fact I turned this track up loud... sounds great.

Well done Tom..Ā 

Only comment I would make for my taste would be a little click on the kick.. I cant fault this work mate.
Thanks for the Aural Journey!

Gary my friend I know I can rely on your ears and comments, they push me to finish things properly. Truth is I'm never 100% mix-happy with clarity between bass and kick. Did you mean add a click on the kick, or take the kick click down? I'm too close to it to tell.

+1 on the "check the mix lastly at big volume" because thats where you find the pokey icepick stuff. Many many thanks for the observations!

56 minutes ago, DeeringAmps said:

Who doesnā€™t love a good space odyssey/oddity?

Iā€™ll not comment on ā€œManthricā€ for fear of revealing my ignorance (is that what I just did? šŸ™ƒ)

Iā€™d bring up the ā€œhatā€ but I fear that deficiency is more about my much abused ears and not your track.

Overall, high marks here, always a fan!

t

@Bajan Blueyouā€™re walk-inā€™ all over me man šŸ˜Ž

thanks so much, Tom! Like how a short, simple phrase, repeated over and over, loses all literal meaning, and with increased repetitions you find a zoned-out state of mental non-focus. Sometimes spelled "mantric" . . . like the classic "ohmmmmmmmm" becomes a mantra when repeated into unconsciousness.

Or so ommm told.

Now what about thatĀ hat again??? šŸ•µ cheers mate, thanks for the comments!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, PhonoBrainer said:

ommm

I see what you did there šŸ˜Ž
Ā 

the high hat, I hear it early on perfectly before the track gets going. Then as all the ā€œvoicesā€ coalesce its ā€œgoneā€. Again, I think itā€™s ā€œmeā€ ( ears & cans) not the mix.Ā 
t

Edited by DeeringAmps

2 hours ago, PhonoBrainer said:

Gary my friend I know I can rely on your ears and comments, they push me to finish things properly. Truth is I'm never 100% mix-happy with clarity between bass and kick. Did you mean add a click on the kick, or take the kick click down? I'm too close to it to tell.

+1 on the "check the mix lastly at big volume" because thats where you find the pokey icepick stuff. Many many thanks for the observations!

Add a little click to the kick..Ā  it believe it will cut through with the added sound...Ā  just my thought.

• Like 1

As request watched atĀ 1440 on the 21.9 monitor, listened on my Event 20/20's as the rest of the studio hasĀ notĀ yet been turned on so far today.

As you say Tom ever song is different and that was different do you think your prayer has beenĀ heard?

Mix was effective here, I watched the video which is unusual as I normally find them a distraction from listening to the audio.Ā  Yes I did unfortunaly.