A Trace Of Sadness In Her Eyes

Barry Seymour

On 10/5/2021 at 6:43 PM, Barry Seymour said:

is this a path I should go down?

I think subbing the side stick for the snare in the MT Kit. Use that end of section drum roll a bit less often and change it up a bit each time you do.
Just a suggestion.

On 10/6/2021 at 6:17 PM, Barry Seymour said:

this is a well-known phenomenon when recording vocals with headphones, a problem I seem to be particularly susceptible to. I'm watching some videos and other links

Share some links?

t

Hi Barry , this one slipped past me  for some reason , From one singer (not in your class though ) to another this is just superb , the lower timbres of your voice reaches my soul and the rest lifts the light and is spot on , I personally would have kept the same sound all the way through as towards the end  it became for my taste too busy , it just took away the spotlight from your beautiful voice , great guitar sounds  I loved the simple gutar solo no more was needed thanks for sharing.......  great song  

• Like 1

Sorry everyone, I was waiting on a drummer who didn't materialize.

I dove in a bit and learned more about drum programming using the step sequencer. (Thanks, Creative Sauce!)  I redid the drums, also did some more mixing, panning some tracks, adding compression and effects, tweaking the EQ.

What do you think?

• Like 2

Geez Barry, wonderful stuff.  This makes me self conscious about posting my own songs because what I'm hearing on this forum is seriously good recording quality.   

I am just in my little bedroom and I have my amp in my closet, lol. 

Good song, yeah, the Drums could be a bit more full but that can be altered still.

2 hours ago, KurtS said:

Listened on my studio monitors and headphones and didn't hear it at all, strange.  It sounds really good. I think this my favorite of you songs.

I have some ideas on what that sound might be, gonna look into it.

I often find this, that something sounds good on my headphones but not on a set of speakers. Crafting a mix that sounds good everywhere is like the Holy Grail.

Thanks for the kind words.

• Like 1

I liked this from the get go.

As for the drums it is very subjective I can remember one visit to A&R and they complained the drummer (myself) was to busy, two weeks later same mix and the drummer was not doing enough, go figure.

I like this Barry. cool song writing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A real Steely Dan vibe on this one. And I don’t mean reminiscent of an SD tune, more their production and performance. 
A great one to be sure. Your storytelling is always top notch. 
t

one little suggestion; note in the thread title that a new/final mix is up; I think I missed a mix or two. 
 I find putting the lyrics in the video to be a big plus. 
👍’s

Edited by DeeringAmps
  • Like 1

Very good Barrie.. sounds great mate you should be proud of this one. 🙂

if I was to be extremely picky I would say check your crossfades as there are some clicks in the "Left Channel"  think its when your vocal comes in.
0.50,  1.06, 1.14, 1.22, 1.54,  etc.
Not many would pick up on that but they show up on my speakers.

• Like 1

Simply "beautiful" .  Fantastic job on the drums , no need to wait on a drummer again ..  I Really liked the kick and the dreamy guitar solos. I can't believe the difference in this mix , and the very first one you posted. Vocal was Great. I knew you would eventually nail this one. 

mark

• Like 2

I'm a beginner at this Cakewalk thing.  But I know what I like in music.  I would be a little careful with the drums.  That's not what the song is about.  It's the melody and the words.  Vocals don't need to be perfect.  Just an opinion.