MIDI program change not reliably working

Stefan Tiedge

Question

Hi there, I created an own master.ins file for my newly bought Casio piano. With 700 sounds it is quite nice, but needs a "human readable control" (therefore I wanted to use the patch browser).

However, it works quite well - for 90% of the patches... But some of them cannot be controlled by selecting bank/program using the patch browser (or directly setting it). I wonder why?! The actual bank and program numbers are correct. I am also able to record the program change by selecting it on the piano and "replay" it later. 

Has anyone had a similar problem? Is there a log file/debug mode from where I might see what exactly happens with those 10% of the instruments?

2 answers to this question

As a point of information, try recording one of those non-controllable patches from the keyboard, then see how that bank & patch is labeled in the event view of Cakewalk. To be complete, make the keyboard change banks as well as programs as you record. The event view might work as your debug log. You can open the event view by selecting a track and pressing ALT-8.

Check the .ins file to see that bank select for bank 0 is being properly sent.

I've found a few .ins files in the past that don't send anything for bank 0, and just send the program change.  This works when you first turn your device on, but if you've switched to a different bank, it doesn't switch back to bank 0.