Vals

David Sprouse

How did you feel about this when you finished it David ? There's a lot of unseen work in this and I think you did a good job  .. but I have to say I prefer Émilie Fend acoustic version(  Augustin Barrios Mangoré 'Vals op 8 No 4 with a Götz Bürki guitar )  however overall this is a great bit of instrumental playing and I love it   ... and your interpretation ..  well done 👍

ATB

Steve

54 minutes ago, SupaReels said:

How did you feel about this when you finished it David ? There's a lot of unseen work in this and I think you did a good job  .. but I have to say I prefer Émilie Fend acoustic version(  Augustin Barrios Mangoré 'Vals op 8 No 4 with a Götz Bürki guitar )  however overall this is a great bit of instrumental playing and I love it   ... and your interpretation ..  well done 👍

ATB

Steve

I follow japanese philosophy of wabi-sabi... so it could use some improvement. :D  it's tough with wind and brass instruments to get really good dynamics, like one can with guitar.  It's a real show stopper in that situation.  The piano section could use some dynamics for sure.  Thanks for listening Steve,  I appreciate your ears.

Edited by David Sprouse
  • Like 1

David, you’ve done an excellent job here, and as stated above it’s no easy task. 

On 10/3/2021 at 10:31 AM, David Sprouse said:

could use some improvement

We tend to hear the “warts” in our work, rather than focus on the whole. 
So I’ll just add 👍‘s up!

t

at the very end there you could add a little more to the “pregnant” pause before the run down...

not a crit, just an observation 

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

Very well done, David. I'm not used to hearing brass playing the  melodic part. Would have expected a violin maybe but you did a great job. Not a crit just an observation. Like you said classical music is difficult to do because of the required articulation to get the right dynamics and I've found that to be true.
-Bjorn

Hi David....outstanding....i enjoyed all of the piece very much....Thank You....📯🎺🎻🎹

Edit: your Timing is....perfect, i'm pretty far away from that kind of polish and hard work....any advice you have time to post?? ....thanks again 🎶🎷🎼🎵

Edited by Larry T.

On 10/6/2021 at 4:47 AM, DeeringAmps said:

David, you’ve done an excellent job here, and as stated above it’s no easy task. 

So I’ll just add 👍‘s up!

t

at the very end there you could add a little more to the “pregnant” pause before the run down...

tom, thanks for the inspiring words.    Ya, your right about hearing the warts...it's a bad habit.  Most people let the notes fly by and enjoy...I'm cursed with finding the faults.  I just saw a documentary on wabi-sabi and it's so true,  I really do have that aesthetic sensibility:  finding beauty in imperfect things.  As for the audience...I don't know haha.

On 10/6/2021 at 11:31 AM, bjornpdx said:

Very well done, David. I'm not used to hearing brass playing the  melodic part. Would have expected a violin maybe but you did a great job. Not a crit just an observation. Like you said classical music is difficult to do because of the required articulation to get the right dynamics and I've found that to be true.
-Bjorn

Bjorn,  I wasn't quite sold on the trumpets carrying the melody, but I was trying for a mariachi sound;  The last cadence is very mariachi.  Session horns does some things really well...but it doesn't have many articulations.  Thanks for listening.

18 hours ago, Larry T. said:

Hi David....outstanding....i enjoyed all of the piece very much....Thank You....📯🎺🎻🎹

Edit: your Timing is....perfect, i'm pretty far away from that kind of polish and hard work....any advice you have time to post?? ....thanks again 🎶🎷🎼🎵

Hi Larry!  I'm glad you noticed the precise rhythm.  What I did was write the entire thing out in Finale and then export xml into cubase.  I didn't play any of this in as midi.  It's a good way to make sure everything is in the pocket, better than quantizing I think.

• Thanks 1

On 10/6/2021 at 4:47 AM, DeeringAmps said:

So I’ll just add 👍‘s up!

t

I added the pregnant pause, thanks for the tip.  (See video)

• Like 1