CLICKS & POPS in Wave Files (How to edit them out?)

CSW

Hi Group,

I've been a recording hobbyist for a number of years and I'm pretty familiar with clip editing techniques inside your typical DAW. 

My question is based on an issue that I've had occasionally when editing and comping and I've had mixed results dealing with this.

What is the most transparent way that you use to get rid of a nasty click or pop in an existing clip so that the result is an inaudible smooth transition??

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Regards

Craig

Edited by CSW

Hi Craig

Make sure that when you edit a clip, the edits end up on a zero crossing - when audio clips play through, they won't click if they end and start on zero crossings. If that's not possible, try to introduce a crossfade (or increase the crossfade time) between the two clips.

If the click is recorded into your audio, you'll need an audio editor to cut out that section - Audacity is a good free one:

https://www.audacityteam.org/

If you're serious about removing clicks that are recorded into your audio (and you're prepared to pay), check out something like iZotope RX (there are usually some deals around Black Friday/end of year)

https://www.izotope.com/en/products/rx/features.html

• Like 2

Editing them by hand will drive you crazy. Fortunately, there is good software out there that can intelligently clean them up with little effort.

For many years my go-to tool was Adobe Audition, but I now use iZotope RX8. I'm not sure, but I think even the $29 Elements version has the feature. I use the standard version, which adds a whole bunch of cool stuff. And of course if you're made outa money there's the Advanced version. Here's a comparison of features from each edition.

Now, you didn't hear it from me, but if you only need it for one project you can try RX8 for free for 30 days. Just sayin'.

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

On 10/2/2021 at 6:40 PM, antler said:

Hi Craig

Make sure that when you edit a clip, the edits end up on a zero crossing - when audio clips play through, they won't click if they end and start on zero crossings. If that's not possible, try to introduce a crossfade (or increase the crossfade time) between the two clips.

If the click is recorded into your audio, you'll need an audio editor to cut out that section - Audacity is a good free one:

https://www.audacityteam.org/

If you're serious about removing clicks that are recorded into your audio (and you're prepared to pay), check out something like iZotope RX (there are usually some deals around Black Friday/end of year)

https://www.izotope.com/en/products/rx/features.html

On 10/2/2021 at 10:00 PM, bitflipper said:

Editing them by hand will drive you crazy. Fortunately, there is good software out there that can intelligently clean them up with little effort.

For many years my go-to tool was Adobe Audition, but I now use iZotope RX8. I'm not sure, but I think even the $29 Elements version has the feature. I use the standard version, which adds a whole bunch of cool stuff. And of course if you're made outa money there's the Advanced version. Here's a comparison of features from each edition.

Now, you didn't hear it from me, but if you only need it for one project you can try RX8 for free for 30 days. Just sayin'.

Thank you for the solution. I downloaded the iZotope RX8 trail and it's really something. I was able to transparently eliminate the clicks pops and crackles. It's really amazing and simple to use. 

Thanks so much for the suggestion!

Regards

Craig

• 2 weeks later...

@CSW I have a question for you. Why are you getting clicks and pops? You shouldn't be getting them to edit them out. Honest I'm not trying to be confrontational....but the only time you should encounter something resembling a click or pop would be the following:

1. Improper cross fading: Sometimes in CW when you punch in and do not cross fade properly, you will get a click. Never trust "auto-cross fade".

2. Clipping or some sort of artifact: Always check your LED meters as well as plugin meters. Though CW has enough headroom to where it takes quite a bit to clip it to make noise, if you get enough tracks pushing, you'll definitely pick up some clicks or pops.

3. Audio received from someone else: In this scenario, the tools that have been discussed are what you need to get rid of these artifacts.

4. Interface issues: Some sound cards/interfaces may just produce clicks and pops. Most times it's a driver issue that needs to be updated, the interface itself may need to be replaced, or you may be taxing your machine to where you're just expecting too much out of it.

However, the real issue here should be why you are getting these to where you need to remove them. You have to find out why this is happening. I NEVER get clicks or pops in any of my audio and haven't ever gotten any in all the years I've been doing this other than when I have not cross faded properly after a punch-in.

At the end of the day, you shouldn't be getting them either. Your quest should be to figure out why this is happening. Once you can figure it out, you won't need any of those click pop tools other than if someone sends you something that needs them removed. So keep this in mind and if you can, try to figure out the source as to why this may be happening. Post back if you figure it out. :)

Danny

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1