Audient ID 22 audio drop outs

Earl

Question

Dear All,

I use a audient ID 22 since a couple of years. The sound is amazing. But unfortunately it`s unusable for my audio productions at the moment. I switched to Cakewalk by Bandlab some time ago. No matter what I do the audio is crackling and droping out.
I tried everything obvious like changing the buffer size, updates, freezing audio tracks and so on, but nothing helps. I even bought a new Laptop with a AMD Ryzen4700U processor and 16 GB RAM because I thought the problems came form a too slow computer. But still the same crackling occurs continuesly. Even with the CPU at 50% its crackling.

As I read in the cakewalk forum there are similar problems for other Audient (especially EVO) users. Apperently it`s the audient driver. I just updated mine without any effect.

Could you please assist me? I really want to continue using my beloved Audient ID22 and the now familiar great Cakewalk DAW.

Kind regards from Würzburg, Germany

Earl Sebastian

16 answers to this question

Dropout are accompanied by a toast message containing a dropout code and a link to the help.

Starting with 2021.06 a new parameter MaskDropoutDetection was added to aud.ini to handle some dropouts differently.

The problem may not lie with the DAW or audio driver though. It may be other processes running on the PC. 

I leave DPC issues to others. The tool used for diagnosing these  issues is latencymon.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, scook said:

Dropout are accompanied by a toast message containing a dropout code and a link to the help.

Starting with 2021.06 a new parameter MaskDropoutDetection was added to aud.ini to handle some dropouts differently.

The problem may not lie with the DAW or audio driver though. It may be other processes running on the PC. 

I leave DPC issues to others. The tool used for diagnosing these  issues is latencymon.

Hi scook,

thank you for your quick reply.

MaskDropoutDetection  doesn't solve the problem.

latencymon say the system ist alright. I've tried to reduce all other processes running on the PC although.

Sorry for beeing unprecise. It's not real audio drop outs. Its crackling.

At the buffer size of 2048 there are only few cracks at a CPU usage of about 50%.  Any lower buffer size leads to crackling and higher CPU of course.

I'm not sure if this is the best solution. The project is at 88.2 kHz at 24 bit and quite a few tracks and effects too. But in my expirience there should be more possible. Or is fluent audio only possible at CPU rates lower than 60%?

1 minute ago, John Vere said:

The best way to troubleshoot at this point would be to borrow a different audio interface like a Focusrite. Is there a music store near by?  Or a friend?  
My Motu M4 was crackling but my Focusrite was fine.  Turned out I needed a better USB 3 port. 

Hi John,

thank you! That's a great idea. There should be someone I can ask tomorrow.

I try to change the USB port first. I didn't think about that.

35 minutes ago, scook said:

Have you tried running projects at 44.1 or 48 kHz?

I've just tried.

I recorded a track and dublicated it 10 times with a fx strip I build. The CPU was then by 50-55% and the audio starts to crackle again.

I wonder if it's any of the plugins that cause trouble.

40 minutes ago, Earl said:

Hi John,

thank you! That's a great idea. There should be someone I can ask tomorrow.

I try to change the USB port first. I didn't think about that.

Just changed the port - without any positive effect 😞

1 hour ago, scook said:

Have you tried running projects at 44.1 or 48 kHz?

I'm trying again right now - using different FX. 

It runs  stable using only audio and multiple fx plugins. The first crackles come at around 70% CPU usage when I play a software sample instrument or even an external synthesizer. I guess that's normal.

At 88.2kHz it seems to be similar.

So it might be 3rd party plugins that cause trouble. I will check and tell you if there is any improval.

Edited by Earl

17 hours ago, John Vere said:

You realize the TTS-1 doesn’t like 88.2. Just in case. 
Is the Interface buss powered or does it have a power supply? 
Did you try a different USB cable? 

Hi John,

no TTS-1 in use here.

The interface has it's own power supply.

I'll try changing the cable.

Thank you for your help!

I use the baby of the range the ID4....can't say I have had any issues like you have mentioned..not sure if they use a common driver ? Have made a  screengrab.

This is the one I use and I can go as low as 32 samples buffer if I don't want to run hardly any plugins - 128 is where I normally start but I use lots of plugins so I generally end up at 1024 near the end of the mix process.

image.thumb.png.34be565a7e952549bf8198aaf87098e5.png

This the resplendence Latencymon result after playing a track with about 25 tracks and 35 plugins

image.thumb.png.09777291b54ea60d117c19b2176d9891.png

image.thumb.png.60296fadb774770410e43290e58ea885.png

Mine is a desktop PC with a Ryzen 3900x - hopefully that gives you something you can compare against to see if anything is different.

Hi Mark,

sorry for the late reply. I haven't been on this since last year. I was too frustrating because nothing seems to help.

Yes, I think we've got the same drivers for ID 4 and ID 22.

I updated the bios, drivers, chipset, but still have the same problems. At a CPU load of anything above 50% the pops occurs and working in cakewalk is not enjoyable anymore.

I made two screenshots of latency mon.

Following the suggestions there didn't help either. I could not find any CPU throttling in the system. Unfortunately in the BIOS there is no option  to change anything relating to the CPU.

The driver seem to react quite slowly - compared to yours.

What are your suggestions about this? 

Screenshot 2022-06-14 004928yyyy.png

Screenshot 2022-06-14 004754xxxx.png

There's threads on the Microsoft forum regarding high latency with Wdf01000.sys:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wdf01000sys-latency-windows-10/41a8fbac-3c87-4b45-965d-9d6607f91ad9

... and a bunch more on pretty much all of the DAW forums.

While none of the suggestions completely cured it, the main thing seems to be:

1.  Make sure your power scheme is set to high performance - i.e. both min/max CPU should be 100%
2. Turn off USB & HDD power saving/idling

Also depending on how the internal hardware is set up, you may want to disable network and any other audio devices in case they're sharing resources with the USB port your main audio interface is plugged into.

The best thing to do is google  wdf01000.sys latency  and read all of the posts - hopefully one of the suggestions might fix your issue.