exporting midi tempo map

I need to import a midi tempo map from a midi file to a cakewalk file.  There are abundant tempo changes.  Needless to say, transferring by hand would b a monumental task.  I really didn't understand a method I saw in the forum posted to michaelb's same question as answered by Brundlefly.  I also tried the PDF, but I couldn't find anything - probably 'cause I wasn't asking the right question.  I never use audio snap.  I have the file saved as a midi file and CWP.  The problems I experienced getting from MIDI to CWP require another comment.

Any help appreciated

Thanks

Willard

Right click the MIDI file and choose "Open with..." and then Cakewalk. This will import the tempo map, and if no MIDI output is assigned in Cakewalk preferences also insert TTS-1 and route the channels.

Importing a MIDI file inside Cakewalk will strip off this data.

I am not sure if the tempo information can be copied directly between projects though, so hopefully someone will chime in to that specifically.

Edited by mettelus
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, mettelus said:

Right click the MIDI and choose "Open with..." and then Cakewalk. This will import the tempo map, and if no MIDI output is assigned in Cakewalk preferences also insert TTS-1 and route the channels.

Importing a MIDI file inside Cakewalk will strip off this data.

I am not sure if the tempo information can be copied directly between projects though, so hopefully someone will chime in to that specifically.

Yes you can highlight all the tempo changes in the tempo list (far right side of  the tempo view) copy them and paste them into another project.  I’ve done it.

• Like 1

Altho the reply by Blogospherianman didn't work for me; I did discover a workaround.  I simply went to the MIDI file which had the tempo map adjusted to the way I wanted it, and created a new midi blank trk.  I copied the midi trk into the CPW file and the revised tempo map appeared.

Once again, thanks to all.  From every mistake I make, you guys really help me to understand the program better.

Willard

• Like 1

Glad you found a way that works!  Just in case anyone’s interested...

To Paste the Tempo map from one project to another:

1. Open project with the desired tempo map.

2. Open Tempo view, adjust the bar to the right to see the Tempo list.

3. Highlight All tempos. (Click the top one then Shift Click the bottom one to highlight all tempos)

4. Go to Edit, and click Copy Special, Tick the box labeled Tempo changes and Untick everything else.  Click OK.

5 Minimize this project and open the one you wish to paste to.

6. Open tempo view and tempo list and Highlight All of the tempos.

7. Ctrl V to Paste the previously copied tempo map to the new project.

Bam! All new tempo map!

✌️

Edited by Blogospherianman
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
On 5/2/2019 at 6:49 PM, Blogospherianman said:

Glad you found a way that works!  Just in case anyone’s interested...

To Paste the Tempo map from one project to another:

1. Open project with the desired tempo map.

2. Open Tempo view, adjust the bar to the right to see the Tempo list.

3. Highlight All tempos. (Click the top one then Shift Click the bottom one to highlight all tempos)

4. Go to Edit, and click Copy Special, Tick the box labeled Tempo changes and Untick everything else.  Click OK.

5 Minimize this project and open the one you wish to paste to.

6. Open tempo view and tempo list and Highlight All of the tempos.

7. Ctrl V to Paste the previously copied tempo map to the new project.

Bam! All new tempo map!

✌️

Thank you!  Working with Tempos has been my biggest PITA.  This works great!