BACK IN THE SADDLE remix

Paul Bush

I feel there is some parts a tad rushed and it becomes to loose due to the drums arrangement i would say im my humble opinion. The rhythm guitar and bass go.... da darrr.. da da dar.. da..  and the drum kick and snare should be hitting those strums on the  rhythm and bass hits on kick. Great song but i would say It sounds like you are struggling with the drum programming on this one, sorry to be critical, i could be just me with my ear and my drum style 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Paul Bush said:

Thanks whoisp, it`s always the drums with me , I really struggle they start off well and for some reason after Ive added some fills they- I go astray cheers

Drum's are not my strong point but i sort of know how i want them to sound, takes me ages and ages to program.  Sometimes i slow things down, put a standard beat all way through, then split it into sections, to add more arrangement or remove with fills etc into each key apart or bring into a new section. i.e.  pre-verse  or verse or break and chorus etc good work though, clean recording 

• Like 1

Cool song, and the vocals sound good.

For me the overall timing is a little rocky.  I'm not sure if it's the drums that are off (do you 'play' them or program them) or if it's a more general issue.  Some of the guitar licks don't seem to line up with the vocals.

It's a good start.  Tighten things up and I thnk you'll be on the right track!

• Like 1

On 10/4/2021 at 5:27 AM, David Sprouse said:

I really love your voice.  It sounds vaguely familiar...like I heard it on the radio in the 80's<?>  Your song writing is first rate.  Reminds me of twp groups:  the knack and the romantics.

Hi David , and thanks  for the encouraging comments , I dont like to pat myself on the back (never do) but I `m rather pleased with the vocals I think these are the best Ive recorded since being on this forum , once again its all down to practice,  trial and error, and dumm luck  cheers

Agree with all above. The tune is there. The “band” just needs to tighten up. 

t

strip it down to the drum buss and vocals. See where you’re at. Bring everything else in one at a time. 
we’ve all been there ( well I have anyway) building these things one track at a time, no “interaction” between players; not as easy as it sounds. 
worth the extra work on this one Paul. 

• Like 1

Hi Tom, I just listened to it on my phone and it was awfull at some points it sounded as if a drunk octupus had invaded the studio and had a bash at the drums with some cooking utensils  , Its all about putting enough time into the recording, I love the writing and the playing bit , but I lack the patience to polish it off  (and this  sounded as if Id drunk litre of polish ) stripping it back and addding the tracks one by one to get some perspective is a good idea so I,ll  definately give that a go ,the winter is slowly rearing its head here in Austria so i´ll have lots of time , thanks once again for taking the time to respond and giving some sound advice cheers P

• Like 1

This song has a great commercial sound to it.  There are some valid points above.  However, as one who struggles with drums and timing, I can appreciate the difficulty of trying to get everything timed.  I think that you have a good thing going here!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Paul, I love this song and your vocals!  I agree with all the comments regarding the timing issues.  Once you get those issues settled, this will be a GEM!  I don't know what drums you're working with, but a rather simple part would fit the bill, imo.  Hope to hear this again.

• Like 1

Hi and thanks Lynn , what started out as a simple riff got intresting as time went on I added a few bits and pieces and it grew on me , I will have to re-do a lot to get it just right but after listening to it so many times my brain just smooths everything out and I lose the thread somehow , its at times like these one really need a second pair of ears in the studio (which i dont have) for instance I`m writing a new song with the keys and with a backing toontrack beat so i´m now searching for the right groove .......its never ending Im actually thinking of trying out the cakewalk drums  hit them with my finger and paste ..thanks for taking the time to comment.....cheers paul