wa production instacomposer intro

Paul_in_wales

18 minutes ago, Doug Rintoul said:

So this tool is not for you. Are there any generative midi tools that you find useful or are you of the school that all generative midi tools are garbage? 

I've not heard anything that generates "AI" music..i.e chords, melodies etc that I've felt compelled to use. I've tried things like Cthulu by Xfer , I have a license for the Captain Plugins which seemed like a good idea at the time but after intial experiments found it wasn't that much use to me, but they have a drum - bass and melody plugin as well.

Every time there is a an update to AIVA I give it a try to see where it's at but it's not there yet although it's certainly better at creating something semi-listenable than instacomposer.

I'm sure there's one or two more I've come across in a simiar vein. The best things I have found are plugins like EZbass where you're providing the harmonic structure to the plugin and then it's using real performance data from an actual musician to generate the part. 

Edited by Mark MoreThan-Shaw

29 minutes ago, Mark MoreThan-Shaw said:

I've not heard anything that generates "AI" music..i.e chords, melodies etc that I've felt compelled to use. I've tried things like Cthulu by Xfer , I have a license for the Captain Plugins which seemed like a good idea at the time but after intial experiments found it wasn't that much use to me, but they have a drum - bass and melody plugin as well.

Every time there is a an update to AIVA I give it a try to see where it's at but it's not there yet although it's certainly better at creating something semi-listenable than instacomposer.

I'm sure there's one or two more I've come across in a simiar vein. The best things I have found are plugins like EZbass where you're providing the harmonic structure to the plugin and then it's using real performance data from an actual musician to generate the part. 

Thanks for you thoughtful response. This is certainly more helpful than "sounds pretty lame to me". I guess how you respond to a plugin like InstaComposer depends on your tastes, goals and expectations. If you feel that only humans can produce listenable music and you want your plugins to produce music that sounds like it was produced by humans, then these plugins will be a disappointment. I actually found the InstaComposer videos interesting and could see how it might spark ideas. I do not look at these plugins with the idea that they will produce songs for me. I believe that part of the creative process in using these plugins is being able to see the possibilities presented and then expand on them, kind of like taking a piece of diftwood and carving it into a image based on the hints of an image contained in the driftwood. 

Edited by Doug Rintoul
  • Like 3

I have a few things from WA but not sure it's the plugin in the video. Kinda looks like it...

I never did take to it. I tried it out and didn't find it very intuitive.  I am finding that I am gelling with Orb Composer pretty good.

After watching the video I want to go back and try the WA stuff.

I have had it play pretty beautiful compositions on the available bars and i would say it also depends on what softsynths you feed with it. And what mode that synth has to represent.

Someone know why the chord mode track is so reluctant to change the pattern? No matter if you do "generate all" or generate that one track.

39 minutes ago, Grem said:

I have a few things from WA but not sure it's the plugin in the video. Kinda looks like it...

I never did take to it. I tried it out and didn't find it very intuitive.  I am finding that I am gelling with Orb Composer pretty good.

After watching the video I want to go back and try the WA stuff.

This is a brand new plugin, released a couple of days ago, so I doubt this is what you have. I did not take to InstaChord or InstaScale either. This one look more useable though, kind of a scaled down RapidComposer.

5 hours ago, aidan o driscoll said:

A song is usually made up of repeated parts ( EG Intro, Verse1, Chorus, Verse2, chorus, Bridge, chorus Chorus ).

So the 10 bars you talk of would be enough for a VERSE which, as a part,  will be repeated 2 or 3 times. Then you need a Chorus ( repeated ) and a Bridge, maybe an intro

Surely with Insta Composer ( from my viewing of the run through vid above ) you can start with your 10 bars, save that "pattern" then noodle around with the features to make a different part based on the initial 10 bars and so on.

Any of these programs are not meant to build a song / hit for you from start to finish. They are for ideas to spur you on and at minimum help you to find nice chord sequences that sound well together 

Yes...you noodle and noodle with the part and at last you get something that sounds good.

But it doesn't fit with the first part. So you noodle again and you get the first and second part sounding good but the third part now needs noodling. And you haven't started with the fourth part yet. 🥰

1 hour ago, Doug Rintoul said:

This is a brand new plugin, released a couple of days ago, so I doubt this is what you have. I did not take to InstaChord or InstaScale either. This one look more useable though, kind of a scaled down RapidComposer.

Yes that's what it was. Insta Chord and Scale. Just never got with them. Watched the video and this looks interesting.  Probably will pick this up

I wish the companies and people who put out these videos would mix it up with the sounds more. They all seem to use the same type sounds from the same genre of music (pop, electronic, dance, etc). Why not mix it up a little and put Modo Bass on the bassline, then put a metal type bass in there. Try an orchestral violin on the melody, some strings on the pads, an electric guitar on the chords.

• Great Idea 2

1 minute ago, CoveCamper said:

I wish the companies and people who put out these videos would mix it up with the sounds more. They all seem to use the same type sounds from the same genre of music (pop, electronic, dance, etc). Why not mix it up a little and put Modo Bass on the bassline, then put a metal type bass in there. Try an orchestral violin on the melody, some strings on the pads, an electric guitar on the chords.

That's what I was thinking. All the examples sound the same to me. Is it because he's using the same sounds? Or is it because the plugin simply has a limited range in what it can do?

3 hours ago, Monomox said:

That's what I was thinking. All the examples sound the same to me. Is it because he's using the same sounds? Or is it because the plugin simply has a limited range in what it can do?

Actually when I loaded up the full program (after purchase) I used a synth bass and pad, but threw in classical guitar for chords, sample based orchestral strings for additional pad, and cello piz for one of the "arp like" selections.  Sounded good to me after some twiddling of the dials, octaves, etc.  Worth the $30 IMO.  I did try the demo first but it is limited to two tracks, as well as apparently crashing my DAW after 10 uses of the "generate" function  😒.  No issues so far with the full program for me, but there is another Studio One Windows user over on KVR that is having trouble with the MIDI drag and drop (again, works fine for me).  As far as the "official" demos sounds/genre, if you look at the publisher's site (WA Productions), you will see that they definitely target the EDM etc crowd.  I use the term EDM -very- broadly.  I am old.

• Like 2

I find with these type of plugins that the best chance of finding a useful demo is stumbling across a consumer who went past their generic EDM demos. WA has interesting ideas, so-so implementation, and absolutely poor documentation. I have instascale and instachord and neither is used. What little use i found for them was after watching a decent youtuber who figured out things never documented by WA.  I am somewhat intruiged but cautious

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dubdisciple said:

WA has interesting ideas, so-so implementation, and absolutely poor documentation.

That's exactly what I  thought after trying InstaChord and InstaScale. 

I picked this up last night but didn't get a chance to try it out.  Didn't even get to d/l!

I PAID £18.00 and some change. I've never found these things very helpful in the past, too much EDM feel, BUT!, I think this might actually rival dare I say, BIAB?... LOL... we'll see!. I have a very nice collection of stuff I can throw it at, I might finish that opus of mine. If not, I didn't pay a whole lot, just uninstall.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tony Carpenter said:

I PAID £18.00 and some change. I've never found these things very helpful in the past, too much EDM feel, BUT!, I think this might actually rival dare I say, BIAB?... LOL... we'll see!. I have a very nice collection of stuff I can throw it at, I might finish that opus of mine. If not, I didn't pay a whole lot, just uninstall.

I would say it generates more random notes than Biab does.

However Biab have no limit on how many bars you work with.

As to my own question about chord mode track. It does only change when you change the factory preset. It stays unchanged within that preset. Some preset don't have a pattern for certain modes. I had one that was missing a riff mode pattern but selecting that track and generate a pattern worked fine.

2 hours ago, Tony Carpenter said:

I'm waiting for that 12 tone serialism app.

These pattern things are kinda overkill.  I have no idea how many of these I have and haven't put them to use.

• Like 1