wa production instacomposer intro

Paul_in_wales

3 hours ago, Paul_in_wales said:

New midi auto-composer plugin - on offer at $29.70 vs $99 normal (and at pluginboutique.com if you have some cash/tokens there)

https://www.waproduction.com/plugins/view/instacomposer

genuinely impressed with this, especially at this price point

I am too. I am very dubious when developers use the term AI to describe their products and I don't think there is much AI in this tool, but it does look like it could be a lot of fun. I will probably get it since I am also a sucker for midi tools.

• Like 1

I tried the demo from PB and while I think the tool might be worthwhile, the demo has a problem with Studio One 5.4 (unless it is by design).  There is a countdown indicator in the lower left of the window. Exactly what it counts down, I do not know, maybe hitting the re-gen button.  Anyway, when it got to 0, it completely locked up Studio One and I had to kill the process in Windows task manager.  At any rate, the YT vids look good.  My biggest complaint is the color palette, and the fact that is carries in to the PDF document as well.  Blah.  Likely I will get it before the PB freebie expires anyway :P

Joshua Casper mentions you need to drag a C3 note across the clip if you want it to sync to the DAW transport. That’s weird, but he demoed that and said that.  Seems like a nuisance on that point. But it does have drag and drop and appears potentially interesting to experiment with at $29 price point.  I use Studio One so now I’m interested to hear more about that lock up glitch.

Edited by lawajava

Hmm...works fine with Cakewalk. Fun but limited.

It is another one where you generate only a tiny portion of a possible song. When you only have, lets say, 10 bars with something sounding good you still need 110 bars to fill for a full song.

I'm hoping ORB producer with its chaining blocks have a 50% black friday sale.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Kurre said:

Hmm...works fine with Cakewalk. Fun but limited.

It is another one where you generate only a tiny portion of a possible song. When you only have, lets say, 10 bars with something sounding good you still need 110 bars to fill for a full song.

I'm hoping ORB producer with its chaining blocks have a 50% black friday sale.

A song is usually made up of repeated parts ( EG Intro, Verse1, Chorus, Verse2, chorus, Bridge, chorus Chorus ).

So the 10 bars you talk of would be enough for a VERSE which, as a part,  will be repeated 2 or 3 times. Then you need a Chorus ( repeated ) and a Bridge, maybe an intro

Surely with Insta Composer ( from my viewing of the run through vid above ) you can start with your 10 bars, save that "pattern" then noodle around with the features to make a different part based on the initial 10 bars and so on.

Any of these programs are not meant to build a song / hit for you from start to finish. They are for ideas to spur you on and at minimum help you to find nice chord sequences that sound well together 

Edited by aidan o driscoll
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Mark MoreThan-Shaw said:

The parts it creates are pretty basic and uninteresting , I didn't hear one single pattern I would want to keep and work up into a full track 

So this tool is not for you. Are there any generative midi tools that you find useful or are you of the school that all generative midi tools are garbage?