Focusrite - UGH!

Jack Stoner

I was going to close my recording studio and sold off most of my equipment.  Can't quit...  I have paying Karaoke customers that want to record CD projects.  I had a bad experience with a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, both hardware and the control/configuration program and trashed it (the estimate to repair was within $45 of what I paid for it and that did not include shipping costs bothways which would make it more that I paid for it).  Fast forward about 7 years and with the new Scarlett line and good ratings I found a new Scarlett 18i6 on sale and bought it.  Bad move, the "simpler" control program still sucks as I was on my own to figure out how to set it up so I could get direct monitoring and playback from Sonar audio (couldn't get both without changing control program configuration).  To add, 4ms was the best recording latency I could get that seemed to be reliable.  To seal the deal, the 18i6 would hang up and have to be repowered to work.  It was sent back for refund...   I'm now looking at another MOTU.

Apparently Focusrite gear is hit or miss.  I know some that love theirs, but I had to get rid of mine (a Twintrak Pro preamp) because it got so hot I was afraid it would catch on fire!  You literally couldn't touch the case unless you wanted to get burned.

Hi. I know this might not be a fair comparison, but there's a world of difference between my RME Ucx, and my Focusrite Solo when it comes to performance/stability/latency/drivers. I have no specific problems with my Solo, but the Ucx is in a completely different league in that sense. Worth every penny extra, IMO.

Perhaps a 2nd hand RME, if in reach? Best of luck, and all the best.

4 hours ago, Jack Stoner said:

The 4pre came in from Sweetwater yesterday.  All set and ready for a recording session, Friday.  Latency is half what the 18i6 2nd Gen was.    

Thanks for sharing the information Jack.