Does Creativity Wane With Age?

Tim Smith

5 hours ago, Tim Smith said:

Yep. With me it's more keys than guitar but same basic thing sometimes. It gets really deep. Far too deep for the CH section of the forum. I mean, pretty much anything is too deep for the CH.😁

Sometimes things get deep here... 😜

DoubleDeckerCHOuthouse.jpg

• Like 1

On 10/6/2021 at 3:02 AM, Tobias said:

I am getting strong Mark Knopfler vibes from this song, both the overall feel and the singing.  I liked it, well done!

Those are some mighty big shoes to fill. :) Thank you!

On 10/6/2021 at 8:56 AM, Tim Smith said:

That's really nice work there Shane! My recordings lack that nice sheen this has. Probably the difference between using real instruments and sampled ones. You are quite the talent and should at least try to do some more when you can. Sorry to hear about your dog. I hate to think about mine dying one day.

Thanks! There's nothing wrong with using samples. What you did is excellent, samples or no samples. I struggle with midi and everything I try to do sounds really bad, but I have never invested in a good sample library either.

On 10/7/2021 at 2:31 PM, Starship Krupa said:

This song is great. Traditional Country seems to be such a rarity today. When I check out "Country," it just sounds like rock with a Southern accent. The world could use some more of what you do! Also, from a mix/mastering viewpoint, it's excellent.

Thank you. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I turned my radio off when music died in 1978. Especially country.

Thanks for the kind words. Sorry it took so long to reply. I've been wading around 20" of blown insulation in my attic for the last week rewiring part of my house for a remodel and haven't been on much. Still going to be busy for the next month or so. I need to be done by the end of Nov. for Thanksgiving here in the U.S.. Relatives will start piling in around then and I need to get finished before then.

BTW ... I forgot to give credit for that song. I never share that version, I have it up on youtube set to private to share on facebook with credits on it and I forgot to give credit here. A guy named Blaze Foley wrote and recorded that song. I did a cover of it. Merle Haggard covered it also, but I prefer the original Blaze Foley version. That guy was the real deal. Lived hard. IIRC one of his relatives shot him. 

• Like 2

@OP.. Really interesting question. I really think it depends what you want to get out of music and how you approach it. I sort of approach it now as it’s something I do in my free time and I try to make time for it as it’s “my” free time that I do this stuff for. It’s my mental me time away from kids and wife and chores. It’s sort of like, you know,  some guys have woodworking as a hobby and made desks and chairs. Some guys have  a $2000 bike and the cycling outfit and go cycling all the time. My thing is doing music. That’s sort of how I approach it. I have no aspirations to become Drake.

FWIW.. there are many guys that were writers on the side while having a day job and sort of did this thing where they made time for their alter life such as writing – and did become quite famous from it. Sort of like John Grisham. He was a lawyer and family man and wrote because he loved to write. And hit it big. So anything is possible. You never know man.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, telecode 101 said:

@OP.. Really interesting question. I really think it depends what you want to get out of music and how you approach it. I sort of approach it now as it’s something I do in my free time and I try to make time for it as it’s “my” free time that I do this stuff for. It’s my mental me time away from kids and wife and chores. It’s sort of like, you know,  some guys have woodworking as a hobby and made desks and chairs. Some guys have  a $2000 bike and the cycling outfit and go cycling all the time. My thing is doing music. That’s sort of how I approach it. I have no aspirations to become Drake.

FWIW.. there are many guys that were writers on the side while having a day job and sort of did this thing where they made time for their alter life such as writing – and did become quite famous from it. Sort of like John Grisham. He was a lawyer and family man and wrote because he loved to write. And hit it big. So anything is possible. You never know man.

That sounds like my life exactly. Picking up the extra instrument was probably a mistake at this stage in my life. Even so, it was very educational and will help with compositions. I have a mostly desk job where I work and I'm on a computer all day. This wasn't always the case in my job. I got a fairly recent promotion. It's technical mostly and not clerical which makes it interesting for me, but to work this job all day and them go home to a computer again is often just too much even though it's something totally different.

I'm getting closer to retirement now. I will probably have the larger better equipped studio then. It's a great thing to do if a person is not as mobile as they once were. Right now I am in pretty decent health and able to do pretty much anything I want to do. I was thinking I might have two gigs after retirement. The music recording and another gig that's more physically active.

If I could start material and have all kinds of time to work on it I'm sure my music would be a few notches higher than it is. Hopefully that will be me in the future