Not a Deal - Drum Monkey

Brian Lawler

That promo is absolutely hilarious - and it's hard to believe they are serious, but I guess they are, and sadly I guess people fall for it.  

Some of the things they forgot to mention:

We are putting this on the internet, so you know it must be true. 

Don't worry about the price because soon you'll be rich as people will be buying your music as soon as they hear it.  

We spent a million dollars creating this product, so you know it's great!    

All you have to do is press one button to make absolutely incredible music - what could be easier?

• Like 2

I guess ya'll will have to tag me as a sucker. 🤡  I bought this (at a discount to the price shown) and I'm loving it so far. If you work in a lot of different genres, it's helpful to have something put out a reasonably authentic groove to get started with. You can tweak as needed or just generate new drum loops until you get something you like. You can load in your own samples if you don't like the sounds it chooses. And then you can drag out midi or audio either as all in one or as stems. So far, I'm finding it to be a tremendous workflow accelerator.  

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, artturner said:

I guess ya'll will have to tag me as a sucker. 🤡  I bought this (at a discount to the price shown) and I'm loving it so far. 

Sucker !  ...not really, I hope you got a good deal on it.  It does look useful, I have have to make all sorts of genres quite quickly for the TV stuff I make so anything that helps is worth a look.  I do already have XO though which fulfills a similar void. 

Edit: PS. Did you used to be on the Taxi forums ? I recognize the name from somewhere

Edited by Mark MoreThan-Shaw

9 minutes ago, Mark MoreThan-Shaw said:

Edit: PS. Did you used to be on the Taxi forums ? I recognize the name from somewhere

Yes, I used to hang out there a lot. I'm sort of on again, off again with Taxi.

I have XO has well, but I didn't realize it generated drum loops. I probably overthink it when it comes to a drum groove and get concerned that people well-versed in a genre will recognize I just dropped in to write a quick hip-hop or EDM cue. I think this tool gives me a little more confidence that I'm getting the basics of the genre correct.

8 minutes ago, Mark MoreThan-Shaw said:

Yeah I remember you, I was a member 2016-2018 ...things have taken off since then so I'm not now but I still post there

Congrats on things taking off! I've had some minor successes but I'm spread too thin with too many other responsibilities to give it the focus and commitment it needs.

• Like 1

Is this thing iLok? The FAQ reads

Plus, Drum Monkey is protected by PACE Fusion Technology which has not been compromised since its existence 20 years ago.

I think I'll pass personally, but glad too to hear that this might be useful. Not sure why they'd limit the purchase to 3500 licenses only though - makes sense that if you've truly made a really good product, you'd want to see as much as possible - unless there's something a little janky somewhere and they want lots of purchases before news gets out.

Also, marketing like

image.png.a878726042cf2e19137234a861d2df5a.png

doesn't really help - nobody would advertise a product by saying 3000+ shoddy samples; not commenting about their product (don't have enough info to make a judgement), just their marketing.

1 hour ago, Brian Lawler said:

Honestly happy to hear that it might be worthwhile.  The graphic appearance and marketing shtick stopped me from looking further at it.  I love XO and it is well worth the $$, but I might not have given it a close look if it featured a jumping monkey. 🙏

I personally hate the dumb*** graphics, but it works better than it looks. I would not have pulled the trigger without the 60-day guarantee. 

• Like 1

Guys, don't get sucked into this. It's terrible scam imo. One of the things that I appreciate about forums like this is that I can always ask for opinion on some products and get credible and helpful responses. So here is mine: just listen to these samples, they are of General Midi level, I'm pretty sure you all have many much, much better sample packs already. The grooves may seem useful for someone who thinks he's got nothing like that, but they're so generic, definitely not for that money. And today it's so easy to find too many MIDI files, even free ones. Grooves as simple as that I can do off head in no time, I'm sure you can do too. In any case, just think twice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I wonder if behind the scenes, it's just got several MIDI files grouped by genre and it picks a random one (or drum part of one) every time you click the button.

Of course, if you've already bought it and find it useful, more power to you.