So good I bought it twice

bitflipper

Fluid Pitch. I just bought it for $34.40 using the discount code FALL30. Such a deal.

Now, I should have been suspicious when I went to create an account and it told me my email address had already been used. Undeterred, I placed the order anyway. Turns out, I'd already purchased the product - earlier this month

Don't you just hate when that happens?

If you don't know what this plugin does:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 5

I haven't had this happen with plug ins....yet.   But it recently happened to me with CDs.  I still avidly collect CDs, and (believe it or not), I actually have them all in a Microsoft Access database.  I track 15 or so fields, plus all track information.   I have around 3700 right now.

That Access database has helped me not duplicate purchases well for over 20 years, until just recently.  Not only did I buy a duplicate, I bought two separate duplicates...  In the same month.  

😡

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Good to know I'm not alone. Buying CDs, that is.

I don't actually listen to CDs anymore. Don't even own a working player. But second-hand CDs are often cheaper than an MP3 download, and you have a hard-copy backup should you ever lose your ripped files. Plus if you rip them to FLAC, the quality is slightly better than a 256kb/s MP3.

Good idea putting them into a database. I should do that with my vast collection of DVDs, which numbers in the thousands. But I'm too lazy to even put them all into wallets, much less catalogue them.

• Haha 2

46 minutes ago, bitflipper said:

Good to know I'm not alone. Buying CDs, that is.

I don't actually listen to CDs anymore. Don't even own a working player. But second-hand CDs are often cheaper than an MP3 download, and you have a hard-copy backup should you ever lose your ripped files. Plus if you rip them to FLAC, the quality is slightly better than a 256kb/s MP3.

Good idea putting them into a database. I should do that with my vast collection of DVDs, which numbers in the thousands. But I'm too lazy to even put them all into wallets, much less catalogue them.

I'm obsessive over it.  I actually started the database in 1996, just simply as a way of learning Access.   It has just taken a life of its own now I guess, and I just can't stop using it now.

I also rip every single one of my CDs.  About 10 years ago, I finally decided to rip all my CDs.   I had wanted to do it for a long time, but it was such a large project, I just put it off.   I purchased some ripping software (DBPoweramp) specifically for the project, and just started doing a few a night.   It took me around a year, but I completed the project, and have obviously kept up with it.  I rip in both FLAC and 320 MP3 concurrently;  I'm also picky about metadata, so the software is of great help with that as well.

I store everything on duplicate hard disks on my main computer, and use MediaMonkey to listen on the computer.  I also sync everything to my Plex server, so I can listen to anything I want whenever I want wherever I am.  

As I said, I'm a bit obsessive over it.  

• Like 3
  • Great Idea 1

I'm sure this is just part of a boilerplate privacy policy, but I'm not quite sure how providing medical records and history, sexual orientation, and biometric information will offer a more user-friendly experience.

USER INFORMATION

To avail certain services on our Websites, users are required to provide certain information for the registration process namely: – a) your name, b) email address, c) *****, d) age, e) PIN code, f) credit card or debit card details g) medical records and history h) sexual orientation, i) biometric information, j) password etc., and / or your occupation, interests, and the like. The Information as supplied by the users enables us to improve our sites and provide you the most user-friendly experience.

All required information is service dependent and we may use the above said user information to, maintain, protect, and improve its services (including advertising services) and for developing new services

Such information will not be considered as sensitive if it is freely available and accessible in the public domain or is furnished under the Right to Information Act, 2005 or any other law for the time being in force.

8 minutes ago, husker said:

As I said, I'm a bit obsessive over it.  

Maybe, just a little. :)

I'm currently building an Access db to manage my band's song list and generate set lists. That might seem like overkill, but there are just too many factors to consider when I make up sets for a gig. It's mostly about planning ahead for minimal dead air between songs, while tailoring the playlist to the venue.

The guitarist switches between three guitars, so I try to minimize the changes between songs. One of them is a double-neck that pains his back if he plays it for too many consecutive songs, so I have to disperse them throughout the set. The sax player switches between alto and tenor, so I can't put two songs back-to-back that require a switch if he's playing from the start. The singer has some top-of-her-range screamers, so I can't follow one of them with a mellow ballad. Same for me; I have some vocals that I have to sneak up on, so it's best if they're in the last two sets. Sometimes I have some setup to do on my keyboard and/or mixer (which I run from the stage, being the only band member who can temporarily play with one hand). 

Some songs are showy but not friendly to dancers, so they're best used as set openers. Some high-energy songs exist solely to entice dancers, and many of them are reserved as set closers. Some venues don't want slow songs while other places demand more of them. Either way, I have to consider how the dynamics flow, treating each set as an album.

And then there are the new tunes that we're still a little shaky on - those have to happen after the audience has had time to get drunk.

I'm putting all those factors into the database. That's the easy part. The hard part will be writing the algorithm that sequences them.

26 minutes ago, bitflipper said:

Holy crap, antler. Where did that come from? It's a joke, right?

Nope - or at least if it is I've fallen for it. It's Pitch Innovations' privacy policy

https://www.pitchinnovations.com/privacy-policy/

You can get to it by going to their site, clicking on the three-lines menu in the top right, and clicking Privacy Policy near the bottom of the flyout panel.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bitflipper said:

Fluid Pitch. I just bought it for $34.40 using the discount code FALL30. Such a deal.

Now, I should have been suspicious when I went to create an account and it told me my email address had already been used. Undeterred, I placed the order anyway. Turns out, I'd already purchased the product - earlier this month

Don't you just hate when that happens?

can you sell or transfer license?

I take it they have no interest in customers in any of the 27 EU countries then, cos GDPR rules state they must give a valid reason for wanting every bit of personal information, and specify exactly why they need it and what they use it for.

Not being based in the EU isn't an excuse. If they want to do business with EU customers they have to follow the EU rules.

FWIW the same applies for non-US site selling to the US - they have to follow certain US rules if they want to sell to US customers ( can't think of them all right now, but certainly at one point an import/export declaration was needed for selling anything using encryption, which normally requires a munitions licence in the US).

• Like 1