No Tiger the Frog Black Friday Post This Year

Reid Rosefelt

I'm sorry to say that I'm not doing the Tiger the Frog Black Friday post on VI:Control  this year. I was really looking forward to it. My hope was to keep doing them every year. My hope is still to come back in 2022, but maybe somebody else will jump in this year at VI:Control.

But you've got King Larry, so no worries for all of you.

Basically I am really busy with a project I had no idea I'd be doing.  I also had to leave the Composers Roundtable podcast that was so much fun to do. But I just don't have the time. 

I'm doing this on top of the publicity video series I'm starting in a week or so, so I'm freaking out a little. That's going to be weekly,  and I'm also doing this. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 7

3 hours ago, Reid Rosefelt said:

I'm sorry to say that I'm not doing the Tiger the Frog Black Friday post on VI:Control  this year. I was really looking forward to it. My hope was to keep doing them every year. My hope is still to come back in 2022, but maybe somebody else will jump in this year at VI:Control.

But you've got King Larry, so no worries for all of you.

Basically I am really busy with a project I had no idea I'd be doing.  I also had to leave the Composers Roundtable podcast that was so much fun to do. But I just don't have the time. 

I'm doing this on top of the publicity video series I'm starting in a week or so, so I'm freaking out a little. That's going to be weekly,  and I'm also doing this. 

Gasps and cries of anguish were heard around the world! 

• Like 1

Thank you all for your interest.  Here's what's going on.

A lot of you know that I've been planning a series of publicity videos for a long time.  My feeling was, "Why am I doing music videos when there are people like Rick Beato around?"  And I thought that I've been a movie publicist for 45 years.  I know a lot about that.  So I started working on scripts and the technical aspects.  This has been a long time coming.  But nothing new.  I could do the video course and do the podcast and the Tiger the Frog sale too.  I had it all workeds out.

But now I'm also writing a freaking book.  Here's how that happened.

I decided I wanted to begin beating the drum for the course on Facebook.  I have almost 900 Facebook "friends." You meet a lot of people when you're a publicist.  But on Facebook the only people who get my posts are my high school friends and Simeon--because  they are the only ones who care about me anymore.

So I thought that if I wrote something interesting it might wake things up.  I started telling little stories about my career as a film publicist.  I'd get up early and spend an hour or two writing each one.  And people really liked them.  And soon everybody was on my case telling me to write a book.   So I said "no way" and I kept saying "No."  Because it's not something I want to do.   At all.  The FB posts were fun because there was no pressure to do them well.   But people kept on me about it.  All these people in the film business who abandoned me...

And then I thought about it.  I've tried to do so many things in my life, from writing ten screenplays, to directing movies, to music to making YouTube videos, Nothing really came of any of it.  Nobody ever said "we want to make a movie out of your screenplay! or You're such a great director!"  And the YouTube channel, despite endless work, hasn't caught on at all.  If I kept making music videos it would probably take me another year to become a YouTube partner.

This is all stuff I was trying to do my best at, and now for the very first time, people are saying they really like something I did ,   Stuff I tossed off without a thought.  Stuff I don't personally value too much.  I think some of the stuff I've written here or on VI:Control are better. 

And I decided to listen to what they were telling me. Maybe this is something I'm just naturally good at. Maybe I should stop resisting and just do it.    

The book is called "Why Tony Curtis Hit Me" 

• Like 2
  • Great Idea 3
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Reid Rosefelt said:

Thank you all for your interest.  Here's what's going on.

...  But on Facebook the only people who get my posts are my high school friends and Simeon--because  they are the only ones who care about me anymore.

The book is called "Why Tony Curtis Hit Me" 

Best of luck with the endeavor Reid.  We will definitely miss the BF list, but the book sounds really interesting!  Great title.  I can't be the only person here that abhors FB though, so don't let that be the only gauge of your popularity :)  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Brian Lawler said:

Best of luck with the endeavor Reid.  We will definitely miss the BF list, but the book sounds really interesting!  Great title.  I can't be the only person here that abhors FB though, so don't let that be the only gauge of your popularity :)  

Yes, Facebook/Instragram is divisive and is responsible for many terrible things in our society.  Long ago I actually was a Facebook consultant and I owned a lot of stock.  I stopped consulting and sold all my stock and took a big tax hit because I didn't want to be profiting from something that immoral.

But it's not all bad.  I do like keeping in touch with my high school friends.  You don't have to use it to fight about politics.  You can just see pictures of people's grandchildren and I like that.  And there's no way in a million years I would be writing this book if I didn't find out that people actually liked this stuff I was doing.  Really?  It's not that good! 

I had a friend who was a tremendous actress . She had a real following in the indie world.  But she didn't want to be an actress. She wanted to be a writer/director.  She was rich and didn't have to work so she just let her acting career drop.  She only did jobs when people called her. And her directing career went nowhere for a long times.  But people really loved her as an actress. She could care less because it was effortless for her to do it.

This is easy, so I don't value it.  But maybe we all need to listen to what the world tells us now and then.  Like if you're trying to be an orchestral composer, and you're not getting calls from the NY Philharmonic, but you write great songs that all your friends like... you know?   Maybe you should think about  going in that direction and seeing if you can take it to a level beyond your friends.

I'm still trying to figure it out.  But I'm going to see this book through.

• Like 3
  • Great Idea 2

Yesterday I found a flaw in the six videos I did--so I would have to reshoot all of them.  And then to fix the flaw it involved resetting everything--camera position, lights, reflector, backdrop, sound,  And after a few hours, I couldn't get it right.

And the weird thing about it was that, compared to the book project, the whole course looked dull.  This was something nobody wanted but me. 

So I just decided to put the course off until after the book was out.  If the book has any success I can use that as a way to give the course some authority. 

For fun, here's the current version of the title sequence.  The compositions were made in Photoshop and then animated in Premiere. See if you can guess what instruments I used for the music. 

47 minutes ago, Reid Rosefelt said:

For fun, here's the current version of the title sequence.  The compositions were made in Photoshop and then animated in Premiere. See if you can guess what instruments I used for the music. 

If I had to pick something that resonates I would say hitmaker edm . But I’m not very good at this hahah