Drum VST velocity: GUI vs. Piano Roll?

Dave G

Question

I notice that, in the drums GUI of Session Drummer 3 and SI Drums (for example), where the drum piece that's hit affects the velocity (high hit: harder, low hit: softer). I think this is an exceptional element for realism when simulating the hardness of the drum hit.

However, I've always wondered:

Is the same effect applied with the velocity controllers in the Piano Roll? In other words, does the velocity level of a drum note correspond to the hardness of the hit the same way it does in the GUI? Or not, because those numerically-designated controllers are MIDI-based?

[ Because I notice that hitting the drum harder not only increases velocity, but also amplifies the other properties of the drum piece. ]

Just wondering.  😊

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by Dave G

4 answers to this question

When you hold the smart tool in the middle of the top of a note blob in PVR the velocity tool opens and you can drag  it up or down. 
It’s really important to understand how velocity interacts with each VST. Velocity is all about making midi more realistic by changing the timber or sample to reflect how real instruments respond to being played hard or soft. 
This is much easier to manage by using a good quality controller. 

Edited by John Vere