CLOSED: Cakewalk 2021.09 Update 1 Early Access [Updated to Build 145]

Noel Borthwick

We're pleased to announce Early Access for Update 1 of 2021.09! This release includes a small handful of user reported stability issues.

If you have encountered any of these issues, please check out this release and and confirm that your issue is resolved before we release the official public version. 

Please note that Early Access installers are update installers, which only update from a specific version. To install the 2021.09 Update 1 Early Access build, you must be on the latest public release of 2021.09. 

Download Cakewalk 2021.09 Update 1 EA installer

If you haven't already done so, please read about the Early Access Program before participating.
Please keep responses specific to problems or comments on this release. Unrelated bugs or feature requests should be posted in other threads or the feature request channel.

Thanks again for your participation!
The Bakers

Issues Resolved in Build 145:

S-Gear 2 VST3 plugin crashes when inserted 

Issues Resolved in Build 144:

• MP3 options dialog does not show recalled task settings
  • Export as MIDI exporting whole project if selection at time zero
  • Intermittent crash when closing Arranger Section Context Menu
  • Windows notification sound when opening export audio dialog in some projects

Issues Resolved in Build 143:

• Bounce to track dialog forces render sample rate to 44100 always
  • Export audio dialog uses default project sample rate instead of actual project sample rate
  • Bounce to Tracks should always use project sample rate to prevent unnecessary sample rate conversion
  • Large bounce buffer sizes cause flatline audio when exporting or bouncing clips with 96K or higher sample rates
  • Bounce to clips unexpectedly uses bounce buffer size from export audio dialog
  • Exporting audio with plugins on a surround bus can hang the export while flushing plugin buffers
  • In rare cases certain plugins could hang export while flushing plugin buffers
  • Export task fails with no meaningful message if drive or path is invalid
  • Export as MIDI File should not show audio track warning message
  • Warn if duplicate filenames in export task queue
  • Changes to Notes tab are not reflected in the ID3 MP3 Options dialog until CbB restart.
  • MP3 Options dialog should default to 256 kbps
  • Export with External encoder was not functional
  • Expand width of file overwrite prompt when exporting multiple files and make the list scrollable

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

12 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Export as MIDI File should not show audio track warning message

Thanks, this works now as expected!

But there is still an issue exporting a selection of MIDI:

• If the selection starts at 001:01 (project start), then the whole clip is exported (instead of the selection only).
  • In all other cases it works as expected!
Edited by marled
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

We're pleased to announce Early Access for Update 1 of 2021.09! This release includes a small handful of user reported stability issues.

If you have encountered any of these issues, please check out this release and and confirm that your issue is resolved before we release the official public version. 

Please note that Early Access installers are update installers, which only update from a specific version. To install the 2021.09 Update 1 Early Access build, you must be on the latest public release of 2021.09. 

Download Cakewalk 2021.09 Update 1 EA installer

If you haven't already done so, please read about the Early Access Program before participating.
Please keep responses specific to problems or comments on this release. Unrelated bugs or feature requests should be posted in other threads or the feature request channel.

Thanks again for your participation!
The Bakers

Issues Resolved in Build 143:

• Bounce to track dialog forces render sample rate to 44100 always
  • Export audio dialog uses default project sample rate instead of actual project sample rate
  • Bounce to Tracks should always use project sample rate to prevent unnecessary sample rate conversion
  • Large bounce buffer sizes cause flatline audio when exporting or bouncing clips with 96K or higher sample rates
  • Bounce to clips unexpectedly uses bounce buffer size from export audio dialog
  • Exporting audio with plugins on a surround bus can hang the export while flushing plugin buffers
  • In rare cases certain plugins could hang export while flushing plugin buffers
  • Export task fails with no meaningful message if drive or path is invalid
  • Export as MIDI File should not show audio track warning message
  • Warn if duplicate filenames in export task queue
  • Changes to Notes tab are not reflected in the ID3 MP3 Options dialog until CbB restart.
  • MP3 Options dialog should default to 256 kbps
  • Export with External encoder was not functional
  • Expand width of file overwrite prompt when exporting multiple files and make the list scrollable

Hi Noel,

This update seems to solve the stutter problem, when oversampling is activated on the synthesizers

3 hours ago, Jean Corivo said:

Hi Noel,

This update seems to solve the stutter problem, when oversampling is activated on the synthesizers

@Jean Corivo thanks for the update. I'm glad its ok now but I'm not sure what could have caused that. Perhaps it was related to the fact that the bounce was doing unnecessary resampling if the project sample rate was different from the default sample rate...

Another build posted today with the following fixes. Link in main post.

Issues Resolved in Build 144:

• MP3 options dialog does not show recalled task settings
  • Export as MIDI exporting whole project if selection at time zero
  • Intermittent crash when closing Arranger Section Context Menu
  • Windows notification sound when opening export audio dialog in some projects
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Andres Medina said:

Not sure if this is particular to this build:

When navigating between arranger sections, going backwards (Shift+TAB) doesn't get you to the previous arranger section, but to the very beginning of the project.

When markers are present, this Shift+Tab gets you to the previous marker.

The default settings for TAB and SHIFT+TAB is to navigate through transient markers on the selected clip.

I'm assuming you've rebound these to Next Marker and Previous Marker respectively?

In which case, you need to check your Landmark settings (right click on "Marks" on the snap module) and make sure arranger start and/or arranger end is checked.

17 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

The default settings for TAB and SHIFT+TAB is to navigate through transient markers on the selected clip.

I'm assuming you've rebound these to Next Marker and Previous Marker respectively?

In which case, you need to check your Landmark settings (right click on "Marks" on the snap module) and make sure arranger start and/or arranger end is checked.

Yes - I did as directed, and is working perfectly. Thanks again!!

32 minutes ago, Milton Sica said:

I would like to better understand the purpose of including this option menu for this field only.

Because unlike the single line entries above it, the ENTER key does not commit data in a multi-line entry.

20 minutes ago, Milton Sica said:

I understand, but would it not be the case in this field to change the behavior of the CARRIAGE RETURN - CHR(13) to inhibit the need for this menu?

Sure but then there would need to be another. less obvious way. to add line breaks to the entry.

The TAB key was already sacrificed to move between entry fields.

If you don't want to use the mouse to click OK, use the TAB key.

The ESCAPE key performs the Cancel function.

• Thanks 1

On 10/1/2021 at 4:49 PM, Milton Sica said:

I have the impression that there was a regression in version 145 of this parameterization.

Why data is no longer being updated.

image.png.c2a78c3ee6461bb111ed0349b860263f.png

@Milton Sica - It's not clear what context you're referring to here.  Is it incorrect when you first create an MP3 export, or are you referring to recalling a task?

Every time you open the Export Dialog, it grabs the latest information from the notes browser.

If you create a new mp3 export task, the mp3 dialog will show and allow you to customise this information.  Anything you edit will be stored inside the task.  Subsequent changes to the notes browser will NOT update the task.

Additionally, any edits you made to the mp3 dialog will remain while you are still in the Export Dialog.

Once you close and re-open the Export Dialog , it grabs the latest information from the notes browser.

I'm having two issues, one was with an earlier version - 

Current issue: program exits without prompting. Thus, it's completely unusable. It could be loading an existing softsynth is the issue. 

Previous issue: Difficulty working with my softsynth in pianoroll view if I'm simultaneously working with a keyboard MIDI on other tracks. I have Windows 10 and a pretty strong 5 year program. 

Edited by Laurence Levin

@Laurence Levin If the program is exiting on start the most likely reason is that something has corrupted your C++ redistributables. Please download the latest redists or try reinstalling Cakewalk. Does it fail to load the application itself or is it failing to load a specific project file.
If you are having an issue with a specific project please make sure you are running the latest EA build which is 145 and retry it.

6 hours ago, Milton Sica said:

When creating the task I expressed my option for the task to consider the CURRENT NOTES of the Project and not those that existed at the time of its creation.

There is currently no way to do this automatically, but we will consider supporting tags for the ID3 settings in a future version. For now, you can use the solution as described in the following thread: 

13 minutes ago, Milton Sica said:

And about the errors that I pointed out in the sequence of steps in my post will there be the possibility of correcting it? The previous version performed it perfectly.

The behavior is different if you update a taks vs. recalling a task and then updating the task. This is the way recalling tasks has worked all along. Which specific version behaved differently?

• Morten Saether changed the title to CLOSED: Cakewalk 2021.09 Update 1 Early Access [Updated to Build 145]
  • Morten Saether locked, featured and unfeatured this topic