High Strung

mark skinner

Hello , here's a Very minimal project using a high strung acoustic as the Main instrument (instead of being used for reinforcement). I used TTS analog drums and deleted all my bass guitar parts except for one section. I used both of my bass guitars and every bass vsti I have , and found them All very distracting with the guitars. I used 2 capo's on the guitar putting it in a raised dadgad tuning. Any suggestions are welcomed especially on overall EQ.    Thanks ..   mark   

Edited by mark skinner
  • Like 4

Wow, really enjoyed listening to this! With my headphones on the guitars seem to dance around the top of my head.  Very clean sounding recording and great playing.  I think it's pretty perfect as is.  If I were to add anything to it I think a flute solo would wound sound nice in there. Outstanding man.

• Like 1

Mark . . . more excellence, brilliantly performed and recorded. Really love that crisp high acoustic w/capo sound you've captured here, it sings out with your tasteful chops of talent. Up here in Canada we have a lot of Acadian and folk based music, especially out east . . . and I've always appreciated well played acoustic music. It brought to mind the early days of a Canadian guitarist Bruce Cockburn.

• Like 1

Thanks to All for your comments. @KurtS I was also thinking of a high Irish type flute/whistle in there somewhere. There's a pretty big section that repeats early in the song . Perhaps I'll try it there. @CSW I'm using a single AT3035 at the 12th fret. @Paul Bush the guitar tone was pretty easy to get. It was high passed and multiband comped on the remaining low freq's.  Mids were also scooped using an EQ preset in the pro channel .  A lot of videos you see about setting a guitar up for Nashville tuning recommend a small parlor guitar or even a backpacker. I think a full sized guitar like the dreadnought I used sounds 10 times better.  There are some massive reverbs panned and coming in and out that also helped the tones.   @noynekker    I just looked up and listened to a lot of Bruce Cockburn.  Wow ,  I take that as a huge compliment.       Thank You again ..  mark

Edited by mark skinner
  • Like 2

@David Sprouse I used the 6 skinny strings from a 12 string set , octave up from normal 6 string tuning except for the B and high E.  (Nashville tuning) . Then a full capo on the 2nd fret and a partial capo on the 4th fret covering the A,D,G strings. Shub sells these and can be put on backwards to cover different strings. It works out a little better than lowering these skinny strings to create the same raised up DADGAD tuning I used. Minor tuning adjustments can be a little problem with 2 capoes holding the strings down , but worth the effort.          mark   

Hey , I know I said I wouldn't bump this back up , but I got an e-mail from Mike Enjo this morning and wants to use the song on this Thursdays  Creative Sauce  "Featured Artist" .  The top link now reflects the original mix without the flute.  I'm happy ..   mark

• Like 1

Extremely well done mark...really like this....i was just watching a video last week on nashville tuning and have to give it a go soon....i went through a phase of listening to a lot of Celtic artists like Altan, Old Blind Dogs and Loreena McKennitt...perhaps you may find them as inspiring as I did...or, you probably already have!!!! 🎸🎻🎵🎵

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, mark skinner said:

Hey , I know I said I wouldn't bump this back up , but I got an e-mail from Mike Enjo this morning and wants to use the song on this Thursdays  Creative Sauce  "Featured Artist" .  The top link now reflects the original mix without the flute.  I'm happy ..   mark

Hey, that's really cool!

• Like 1