How to play only a short piece of a song?

DallasSteve

Question

I want to know if I can play only a short piece of a song in Cakewalk.  I bought the cheap version of Melodyne and it doesn't let me split a "blob".  So I have the idea that I can set Cakewalk to play just one note (half of the blob) and set Melodyne to Transfer and then go back and do it again with the second half of the blob.  If there's a better way to do that without upgrading Melodyne, please let me know.  I know there is a Loop function in Cakewalk, but I don't know if it can be set to only play one time and then stop, or is there some way to play only a Selection?

6 answers to this question

Yes the question is not clear as to what you are trying to do. 
It’s always a better idea to work with short clips when using regional effects.
For vocals I split them into phrases  making the cut where it’s obvious that there is a breath. Even if I’m not going to use Melodyne I do this to remove unwanted noise. 

And as said, all versions of Melodyne can edit these. Unless you are trying to use the demo version which will have timed out for you by now 

Edited by John Vere

1 hour ago, mark skinner said:

Even Melodyne "essentials" lets you split a blob.

I did not know that.  That is the best/easiest solution.   They took away the Split tool in Essentials so I thought it wasn't possible, but after seeing your reply I checked the manual and it says you can.  I tried it and it worked.  Thanks.  This is the method for others who might search for this topic.

To split a note in two:
– Position the tool at the intended split point – not on but slightly above the blob; the appearance of
the mouse pointer will then change, and you will be able to split the note with a double click. This can
give you greater flexibility when correcting or reshaping notes.
– The note separation that is created can be removed with a double click to reunite the two segments.