I need ASIO4ALL

Steven Lewis

Question

I had a really nice system set up and now I can't get it to work because asio4all is now all of a sudden incompatible? I'm not seeing any of the other asio's on my computer although like '4all' they are software driven not hardware. I have a Roland FA 07 hooked up and that's the only thing it sees. I can't even play back audio files from cakewalk anymore. I't sees it the meters move but no sound. Very frustrated with this new set up. Anyone got any solutions?

1 hour ago, Will_Kaydo said:

The point is: You can only run one device on a dedicated ASIO driver. With Asio4All and Asio link and others alike - you get an open source emulation of an this. Yes, its a WDM wrapper, but with a touch advantage to it to run more than one budget interface on your system. 

ASIO4ALL can aggregate devices because WDM can aggregate devices, Of course, neither can handle syncing the clocks on multiple devices as that is up to the hardware and not the driver.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, scook said:

ASIO4ALL can aggregate devices because WDM can aggregate devices, Of course, neither can handle syncing the clocks on multiple devices as that is up to the hardware and not the driver.

while i had many hours of successfully using asio4all, it was only ever a single device, trying multiple devices never worked out

2 hours ago, pwalpwal said:

cheap and decent don't necessarily come together ;)

My little Audient interface that was about £150 is way better than my original Tascam interface that was 3x more expensive back in the day, and PC to run it all on was £1k instead of £2k back then and DAW that was £500 is now free !

With all the free plugins as well now you can put a decent system together for a fraction of what you could when I put my first home studio together.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Lord Tim said:

But with that said, if I had a monstrous system and have the most expensive DAW on the market on it, I know I'd much rather use a proper interface with solid ASIO drivers rather than a $5 inbuilt Realtek chip if I had the choice.

I was thinking that myself. This guy can run "the world's most expensive DAW"  on his screaming monster of a computer - which I'm sure wasn't cheap either - and he can't pony up $100 for a real audio interface?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Mark MoreThan-Shaw said:

My little Audient interface that was about £150 is way better than my original Tascam interface that was 3x more expensive back in the day, and PC to run it all on was £1k instead of £2k back then and DAW that was £500 is now free !

With all the free plugins as well now you can put a decent system together for a fraction of what you could when I put my first home studio together.

would be nice to see a "recommended" list of devices, but i'm not holding my breath as in the past they wouldn't even share which pc/device combos they were doing the in-house testing on

On 9/29/2021 at 12:32 PM, bdickens said:

You set the Focusrite up as your audio device and run the audio output from the keyboard into it while using the MIDI I/O  from the keyboard to record MIDI into CbB and to let CbB control the keyboard.

Thanks for the input. I'll have to get everything set up and current un-set up so it'll be awhile. Right now I have my guitar hooked into a Vamp 3 plugged into the Roland which goes to a Zoom R8 to Studio speakers And both the ladder are USB into the computer. The FA-07 can record multi tracks all on it's own even using the wav forms from a recorded guitar or recording guitar directly. But the editing process takes too long much faster on the computer. I also like being able to mix and match several recordings for the best take. As far as my disappointment with no asio4all I have to chalk it up to OCD I hate change. The Idea of fiddling with all the plugs again can be daunting.  Before anyone gets to heavy against the ZOOM I pretty much just record raw and send it to band lab for effects and panning.

10 hours ago, Steven Lewis said:

Thanks for the input. I'll have to get everything set up and current un-set up so it'll be awhile. Right now I have my guitar hooked into a Vamp 3 plugged into the Roland which goes to a Zoom R8 to Studio speakers And both the ladder are USB into the computer. The FA-07 can record multi tracks all on it's own even using the wav forms from a recorded guitar or recording guitar directly. But the editing process takes too long much faster on the computer. I also like being able to mix and match several recordings for the best take. As far as my disappointment with no asio4all I have to chalk it up to OCD I hate change. The Idea of fiddling with all the plugs again can be daunting.  Before anyone gets to heavy against the ZOOM I pretty much just record raw and send it to band lab for effects and panning.

So basically you have :-

Vamp 3 - Amp Sim which it says comes with a UCA222 USB audio interface for stereo I/O and direct (zero-latency) monitoring - this ships with ASIO4ALL because Behringer use it instead of writing their own drivers on their budget products

R8 - Mulitrack Recorder which also works as an ASIO interface

Roland FA-07 - Workstation keyboard with Multitrack recorder and USB connection ( not ASIO AFAIK ) 

I think the first thing you should do is install the latest ASIO driver for the Zoom and get it working and use it as your main interface and mixer etc.

The Roland is mainly for midi I assume so that can just stay as the controller keyboard over USB.

The Vamp 3 is using the cheap UCA222 to get it's audio into the PC and it's only got ASIO4ALL so I would ditch that little interface and hook the Vamp up to the R8 and go in that way.   

That's good new that the Zoom R driver is ASIO. So now the OP  just needs to see which one works the best in Cakewalk. 

@pwalpwal  But why would the OP use a WDM driver which is basically a hold over from W7,  when  they can use a ASIO driver that appears to be totally up to date? They now have a choice of 2 of them.

Edited by John Vere

3 hours ago, John Vere said:

3. The Roland FA-07- This might have the best ASIO driver but only way to find out is to test it. 

I don't think it is ASIO, if you watch this video ( FA-06 / FA-07 / FA-08 all seem to share the same driver ) he installs it on SPLAT and it looks as though it's just a class compliant generic driver.

That guy was a bit of an idiot, guess he never heard of screen captures 😗   So he might not have been aware that the Roland has a driver on the web site. This is a common mistake. Windows is happy to use it's generic drivers. It has often done this to my Yamaha DTX midi driver. It overwrites the factory driver with a generic driver.

This is why I always advice to check the web page support and downloads first. I found a driver there. 

https://www.roland.com/ca/support/by_product/fa-07/updates_drivers/

Just an update on my system (told ya it would take me awhile.) I finally hooked up the focusrite. I hadn't had studio speakers when I first tried setting it up and using the headphones constantly was a pain. It seemed easier to take the Zoom R8 out of the equation. I can always hook that up to the laptop another time. I didn't try uninstalling all the asio drivers (although hindsight I probably should have) I did have to uninstall the Rolands FA 07 driver and the old focusrite drivers. Reinstalled the focusrite and then the FA 07 drivers. Now: In FL Studio everything works very simply and the way it should; In Cakewalk by Bandlab I can't get the roland to stop playing it's sounds when Im using an instrument VsT? I can now record it's sounds to wav and the guitar is still hooked up through the roland (with the Vamp 3) but if I try to use a midi instrument I can still hear the sound of the roland. If I turn the keyboard down I get no sound If I turn off the monitor no sound (haven't tried the headphones but don't wont to have to wear those for that long, only on final mixes) I did figure out a work around by selecting one of the sounds on the roland and just turning down it's sound. That works. What I was trying to do was use the computer speakers for play back and studio speakers for recording the guitar and keyboard. This doesn't seem to work the more I play around with the settings the less sound I'm getting. I see the input. But, again in FL Studio If I want to just hear the vst I just shut off the monitor on the focusrite in cakewalk shuts everything off.

On 9/29/2021 at 11:34 PM, usalabs said:

Before you tell people that ASIO is nothing but a wrapper, try some research on it first.

"Audio Stream Input/Output is a computer sound card driver protocol for digital audio specified by Steinberg, providing a low-latency and high fidelity interface between a software application and a computer's sound card"

ASIO4All is a wrapper.
The RealTek ASIO driver is incompatible; better to use WASAPI if available.
Using ASIO, you can only use one, so you can't use the interface for recording and the sound card for playback.

4 hours ago, pwalpwal said:

@usalabs i think you're mixing up ASIO (which is the description you quote) with ASIO4All (which is a WDM wrapper for audio devices without their own ASIO driver)

1 hour ago, 57Gregy said:

ASIO4All is a wrapper.
The RealTek ASIO driver is incompatible; better to use WASAPI if available.
Using ASIO, you can only use one, so you can't use the interface for recording and the sound card for playback.

Y'all are replying to a year-old post and we've blown this guy out of the water already and are well past this.