I need ASIO4ALL

Steven Lewis

Question

I had a really nice system set up and now I can't get it to work because asio4all is now all of a sudden incompatible? I'm not seeing any of the other asio's on my computer although like '4all' they are software driven not hardware. I have a Roland FA 07 hooked up and that's the only thing it sees. I can't even play back audio files from cakewalk anymore. I't sees it the meters move but no sound. Very frustrated with this new set up. Anyone got any solutions?

5 minutes ago, John Vere said:

99% of the time that people say they have no sound is due to the master buss grabbing the wrong outputs from the device list. 

Yea that was the problem with one of my files it selected 'none' (that one was easy) Setting up these things is always very confusing to me what works with one  may not work with something else and the fact that each file saves those settings individually just gets frustrating. One of the files wouldn't play because one track was armed for record...I'm hoping it's because I opened up this browser to get answers, it cuts out the audio when I opened it (makes sense)

1 hour ago, Steven Lewis said:

I set up my Roland FA 07 which came with it's own asio driver. It works as it should in sorar X3 but not in bandlab? I did get focusrite for my lab top but haven't set it up on the desktop yet

I think you are confused. Its a keyboard, not an audio interface. ASIO is an audio interface driver.

1 hour ago, Steven Lewis said:

Just tried this not sure if it was me playing around in the settings or not but it is working now thanks. The mention to say no and go with asio4all anyway just crashes the program makes it very unstable...btw

Second time: what audio interface do you have?

20 hours ago, JoeGBradford said:

I don't think you have quite got the fact that we are all working within different constraints and at different investment justifications.

I get that. I don't have money to throw around either. $100 is an amount I have to think about. Heck, $50 is an amount I have a think about. But in this case, not for very long when it will instantly solve 99% of my audio troubles and I can get on with making music. Its a no-brainer for me.

eg I am a hobbyist

I am too, but I won't let that be an excuse for substandard equipment. It doesn't have to be top of the line, but it does have to be quality.

I like writing orchestral music and folk stuff using VI's and don't see any need to spend £100 on an external device 

If it works for you, great. Even if I was working 100% in the box with only VSTis and loops, I'd still get a proper audio interface because 1) it's just simpler 2) sounds better because the converters are better and the onboard chips tend to be poorly insulated from electrical noise and 3) I want to mix on decent studio monitors; computer multimedia speakers won't cut it. They are not accurate. For mixing you really want  speakers that are accurate, not that sound good. Decent speakers don't come in a pair with one 1/8" stereo plug.

The OP mentioned his Roland FA, which is a very good multi-tembral workstation. I can only assume that he's wanting to use the sounds out of that. I know I would. So he's not working in the box. He's recording external audio. Which brings us back to a real audio interface with real
drivers for best results.

even if they haven't RTFM. And maybe stop using the rather aggressive capitals

The reason why I emphasize that is because just the other day somebody was having problems with his Focusrite interface. He had no idea there was an ASIO driver for it. He didn't know because he hadn't followed the instructions. The instructions that were in the box. If he had followed the instructions, step three is download and install the software.

• Like 2

I didn't have time to study the information about the Roland Keyboard in detail but I would assume that if it claims to be a audio interface it actually might be decent ASIO drivers. And as well , I bet the sounds can be transmitted via the USB as well as midi etc.   It makes sense otherwise why bother with the audio interface feature. All I found was this:

+USB ports for sound expansion data, updates, and audio/MIDI interfacing with a computer; 

It's not much of an Audio interface with what seems to be only  a 1/4" and 1/8" unbalanced input. It say's Mike but that is a stretch as pretty rare to have a unbalanced mike. An old Shure Stage Hammer like a sm56 might work. So the Focusrite might be a way better choice for connectivity,  but ... then you can't use 2 ASIO devices together. So for what the OP wants to do best to get that Roland ASIO driver working. It should be better than using WASAPI  on board audio and especially if the sounds can be recording via the USB cable. A nice touch is the outputs are Balanced, But for $2,500 I would expect at least that. Roland always supplied better connectivity on it's Keyboards. Yamaha always screwed up and only supplied a TRS headphone jack. 

Headphones Jack: Stereo 1/4-inch phone type
MAIN Output Jacks (L/MONO, R): 1/4-inch TRS phone type
Sub Output Jack: Stereo 1/4-inch phone type
AUDIO INPUT Jacks
LINE: Stereo miniature phone type
GUITAR/MIC: 1/4-inch phone type
FOOT PEDAL Jacks (CTRL 1, CTRL 2, HOLD)
MIDI Connectors (IN, OUT)
USB FOR UPDATE Port
USB COMPUTER Port (USB Hi-Speed AUDIO/MIDI)
(Use a USB cable and a computer with a USB port that support USB 2.0 Hi-Speed.)
DC IN Jack

2124174885_Screenshot(183).thumb.png.18c6e2517f49d17048a5e59fc14a1e6c.png

Edited by John Vere

It is nice to finally record the sounds of the keyboard. I also have an electric guitar so I did a lot of research on which keyboard would be best suited. I got so frustrated with the Latency I ended up getting a ZOOM R8 and just transfer the wave files into Cakewalk as separate tracks. I do still have Sonar X3 and that still seems to work with asio4all (I'm starting to feel like that's a 4 letter word now 😅). With all that set up I'm wondering how I would fit the Focusrite in there. I'm not very good with the technical stuff so when I finally get something to work and there is an update that changes things I get a little frustrated.

As I said I got the music to play but hadn't tried recording...that was a bust say's it couldn't open the audio interface. And one file I was able to record midi but it sounded distorted and another file I opened was fine???

5 minutes ago, John Vere said:

Totally remove Asio4all as it can interfere with real ASIO drivers. 

cakewalk is the only daw i've heard this about (how/why does it get confused by asio4all?) i've used it happily for realtek and alesis for years without issue, in sonar, live and studio one, i'm genuinely surprised it causes such issues for some people

but you're correct, if it doesn't work, uninstall it, move on

@pwalpwal  Generally it doesn't. I too used it for years on my Laptop and it was great for on board audio. But then sometimes I would hook up my interface and Cakewalk would load up withasio4all and I had to remember to reset it to ASIO every time I started Cakewalk. We really don't need it anymore so to me it is always best practices to run a clean machine for your DAW. I always un install or disable anything that is not needed. There's also a Generic ASIO driver from Steinberg and the Real Tech ASIO driver that can interfere so best to remove these in REG EDIT. Then when you open Cakewalk it will stick with your proper ASIO driver every time and you won't have issues. 

• Like 1

I had nothing but problems with ASIO4ALL. I've seen so many others have extensive problems. I never seem to see the same issues raised by people using real ASIO drivers. 

ASIO4ALL is just a wrapper for the WDM driver that fools your system into thinking it is an ASIO driver.  WASAPI is superior to WDM so even just ditching ASIO4ALL and using WASAPI is better. Therefore ASIO4ALL is redundant at best.

The best choice is ASIO because it is purpose designed for professional multitrack audio.

14 hours ago, Steven Lewis said:

I'm wondering how I would fit the Focusrite in there.

You set the Focusrite up as your audio device and run the audio output from the keyboard into it while using the MIDI I/O  from the keyboard to record MIDI into CbB and to let CbB control the keyboard.

14 hours ago, Steven Lewis said:

I'm not very good with the technical stuff

All the more reason to RTFM.  I am only any good at the technical stuff not because I am so much smarter than anyone else but because I read the documentation and closely follow the instructions.

In my former life, I was often able to fix cars - especially electrical, electronic and driveability issues - that no one else could because I would thoroughly read the service literature FIRST, before even getting started, rather than only resorting to it after I had gotten in over my head.

That is a habit I developed early and have carried over.

No, they're saying ASIO4ALL is a wrapper, because it is. It makes a WDM driver appear as an ASIO driver. If an interface has real ASIO drivers, using ASIO4ALL is a waste of time in nearly all situations because the performance will almost certainly be much worse than using the correct manufacturer supplied ASIO driver.

In the case of the Realtek driver, the ASIO driver you get with it is particularly dodgy, and you'll find you'll get better results using ASIO4ALL. That's not because ASIO4ALL is doing a great job, it's because the native driver is so bad. If anyone uses Realtek, switch to WASAPI. Cakewalk has excellent WASAPI support for Realtek and, in fact, I was getting better performance out of Realtek/WASAPI when I was travelling with my machine than I was getting with my TASCAM 16x08 back in the studio with proper ASIO drivers.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, usalabs said:

Actually ASIO IS necessary, it's a low lag audio system, I tried recording and adding VST's along with mastering and using MME just don't work, there's a lot of latency especially when recording more than 5 tracks, I also tried WDM/KS no go there either, and even WASAPI failed, so the ONLY one that worked was ASIO, and now the bandlab update says that ASIO is incompatible?  Hmm, time to dump bandlab and resume using my original Cakewalk Sonar X3 PE, which does work with ASIO.

FYI, my system specs are more than enough to handle a DAW, it even handles Sequoia the most expensive DAW on the market, when using ASIO, but fails when using any of the windows native drivers, WASAPI, WDM/KS, and MME.

CPU = quad core 2.6Ghz
RAM = 16GB
HD = 1TB
Audio system = Realtek HiDef Surround Sound.
OS = x64 Windows 10 Home, Version 21H1

Before you tell people that ASIO is nothing but a wrapper, try some research on it first.

"Audio Stream Input/Output is a computer sound card driver protocol for digital audio specified by Steinberg, providing a low-latency and high fidelity interface between a software application and a computer's sound card" effectively bypassing windows drivers, and going directly to the sound card, so yeah, ASIO is essential for a low latency DAW.

Actually, you need to work on your reading comprehension. That's not anything CLOSE to what I or anyone else said.

No one said anything about CbB being incompatible with ASIO either. That is the preferred driver mode.

Edited by bdickens
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, usalabs said:

Hmm, time to dump bandlab and resume using my original Cakewalk Sonar X3 PE, which does work with ASIO.

FYI, my system specs are more than enough to handle a DAW, it even handles Sequoia the most expensive DAW on the market, when using ASIO, but fails when using any of the windows native drivers, WASAPI, WDM/KS, and MME.

Additionally, too, nothing is actually stopping you from using ASIO4ALL in CbB, it warns you that it's incompatible, based on MANY reports of people having issues with it, but you can still choose to use it - it just suggests otherwise.

But with that said, if I had a monstrous system and have the most expensive DAW on the market on it, I know I'd much rather use a proper interface with solid ASIO drivers rather than a $5 inbuilt Realtek chip if I had the choice. Don't forget too, a lot of other DAWs don't have the WASAPI optimisations that CbB has had done either (including old versions of SONAR), so it's no surprise that they're working well in ASIO only - that was the entire point of ASIO4ALL in the first place, but it's irrelevant for CbB.

• Like 1

The point is: You can only run one device on a dedicated ASIO driver. With Asio4All and Asio link and others alike - you get an open source emulation of an this. Yes, its a WDM wrapper, but with a touch advantage to it to run more than one budget interface on your system. And theres less than a handful of these devices that has a dedicated open source Asio driver. 

Edited by Will_Kaydo
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Will_Kaydo said:

The point is: You can only run one device on a dedicated ASIO driver. With Asio4All and Asio link and others alike - you get an open source emulation of an this. Yes, its a WDM wrapper, but with a touch advantage to it to run more than one budget interface on your system. And theres less than a handful of these devices that has a dedicated open source Asio driver. 

true you can aggregate devices, but i  never had success there, however using it for a single device was never an issue

i suspect the people having issues didn't configure it properly  🤷‍♂️