Florida Man (Original Song) (CbB Plugs Only)

CSW

On 10/4/2021 at 3:20 PM, freddy j said:

Excellent song!  Being a FL guy I can appreciate that Northeast FL (Jacksonville) sound.  Excellent song and excellent work!

Thanks Freddy,

I'm down here in West Palm Beach...... How I would love to move more north... but not too north!

15 hours ago, Wookiee said:

I missed this somewhere along the way, which considering things here is not surprising, it sounds very accomplished here and the mix is nicely balanced on the Adams.

Appreciate it Wookie!

Aren't the  Adams a high quality set of studio monitors?

I sure as heck lucked out then.... I mixed this with ATH M50x headphones and a set of cheapy tiny Presonus desktop monitors.

I have some decent Yamahas but I ran out of space on the desk area. I need to pull those out of storage and reconnect them.  

I still feel like every mix is pretty much a stab in the dark but I think I'm stabbing in a smaller area these days. 

Regards

Craig

4 hours ago, CSW said:

Aren't the  Adams a high quality set of studio monitors?

They are considered reference grade by some, some companies use them to measure against their own .

4 hours ago, CSW said:

ATH M50x headphones

Are not an unreasonable headphones to mix on and I suspect may actually be better than the Yamaha Monitors if they are HS10 or similar, there is a lot of Hype talked about Yamaha monitors they are a little like Pro Fools, they got given away to a lot of studios to help the hype.

By nicely balanced I mean I can hear everything, from the Kick and Bass to the highs of that Harp.  The Vocal is not too prominent or to forward, everything sounded gelled and coherent.

Can I hear some things that might benefit for a few tweaks to the mix, well yes, but I am also aware I am listing to an MP3 which is not the best format for making real value judgment. Consequently I can say what I am hearing sounds balanced, they content itself is half the battle.

I don't know if you recall the Allman Joys (precursors to the Allman Brothers).  In their early days they played the J-Ville, Daytona Beach and N E of Florida.  This song just reminded me a bit of some of their early stuff.  I agree with you on "not too far" north.  Being on the west coast of FL I find that Brooksville is too far north in the winter.  Anyway great song, I enjoyed it!

On 10/9/2021 at 8:01 AM, DeeringAmps said:

My only crit there, and you worked them to “fit” brilliantly, is the harp is too wet, puts it too far back in the mix (for me).

Other than that “high marks” overall !

👍’s

t

Hi Tom....  I took most all of the reverb off of the harp as a test and it does make it more refined.  Cleans the mix up a little. 

I was concerned about the tonal artifacts because I had to change the pitch of the harp runs to get them to match the song so I tried to  hide them in some reverb....  

you busted me. Good ears!

As I listen back to my early mixes I cringe at my overuse of reverb.  I can be a serious clarity killer of a mix. 

Two elements I've found will neutralize this by alleviating the need to hide something in reverb......

A good performance and good source sound and those are the hardest things to come by!

Craig

Edited by CSW
  • Like 1

On 10/10/2021 at 4:36 PM, freddy j said:

I don't know if you recall the Allman Joys (precursors to the Allman Brothers).  In their early days they played the J-Ville, Daytona Beach and N E of Florida.  This song just reminded me a bit of some of their early stuff.  I agree with you on "not too far" north.  Being on the west coast of FL I find that Brooksville is too far north in the winter.  Anyway great song, I enjoyed it!

Freddy,

I recently went down a youtube rabbit hole and watched several documentaries on the Allman Brothers and also Lynyrd Skynyrd. 

My God there was enough talent between them to fill the musical universe.

It's a stark but wonderful reminder to let you know where you stand in the pecking order of musical talent....that's for sure.