Midi controllers?

Shane_B.

1 hour ago, craigb said:

I had LOTS of MIDI stuff.  Here's some of it.  I still have the Oxygen 8!  Woot! 

m-audio-oxygen-8-2029.jpg

I know for sure that the Oxygen 8 doesn't work because mine was unable to get the Windows 10 drivers from M-Audio,.....  LOL

I used to like that little keyboard.  I took it on an airplane and I had the TSA agents dying to see it and wondered how it made sound.  

2 hours ago, craigb said:

I had LOTS of MIDI stuff.

I don't want to say the 'best' recording I ever made, but the most 'natural' was when I played real drums on a song I wrote a very long time ago. I forget where I got them but I had a set of those Rock Band game drums from a Playstation 3. I may have gotten them as a gift one time, IDK. Tiny little toy like things with 4 tom pads and a kick trigger. Some kid wrote a set of drivers for them so Windows would recognize them and your DAW could use them as midi triggers. I took to it like a fish in water. I used TTS-1 iirc. I imagine if I ever got my hands on a real set I would love to play real drums. My brother is a really good drummer, but I don't know. Nothings worse than two drummers in the family other than maybe two bass players. 😁

General MIDI controller pads are not just for, or even primarily for, triggering drums. They are probably most useful for the one man band who needs to trigger chunks of pre-recorded musical sounds in live performance. If you are really looking at putting live controlled drum sounds into the DAW then a dedicated drum controller may be a better choice. If you are a drummer, then an electronic drum kit would be even better and of course much more expensive.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Shane_B. said:

I don't want to say the 'best' recording I ever made, but the most 'natural' was when I played real drums on a song I wrote a very long time ago. I forget where I got them but I had a set of those Rock Band game drums from a Playstation 3. I may have gotten them as a gift one time, IDK. Tiny little toy like things with 4 tom pads and a kick trigger. Some kid wrote a set of drivers for them so Windows would recognize them and your DAW could use them as midi triggers. I took to it like a fish in water. I used TTS-1 iirc. I imagine if I ever got my hands on a real set I would love to play real drums. My brother is a really good drummer, but I don't know. Nothings worse than two drummers in the family other than maybe two bass players. 😁

I also have a Native Instruments Maschine Mikro MK3 that I use for drums with Battery 4, and all of Scarbee Drums. Also,  I can play instruments with the pads in Kontakt, I love this little unit.

image.png.5dede1ed439357466f439043a032e64f.png

• 1 month later...

Twenty five years ago my wife bought me a Roland R8 Mk2. It is as shiny today as it was, then. I am midi ignorant and not for lack of trying. I always wished the pads were the soft type, so I could finger drum the thing and the send it to Cakewalk where I use BFD 3. One day my nephew, who never used an R8, wrote the drum parts for several songs, and they were rather challenging. Guess we can’t understand everything. Still, it is a beautiful drum machine.

On 9/27/2021 at 11:15 PM, jesse g said:

I also have a Native Instruments Maschine Mikro MK3 that I use for drums with Battery 4, and all of Scarbee Drums. Also,  I can play instruments with the pads in Kontakt, I love this little unit.

image.png.5dede1ed439357466f439043a032e64f.png

I’m thinking about this little unit since I have the S61 MkII. The Maschine MkIII just seems a bit if overkill. 

10 hours ago, Doc H said:

I’m thinking about this little unit since I have the S61 MkII. The Maschine MkIII just seems a bit if overkill. 

But the Mk3 has little screens so it makes it you look more like a pro, right?

Seriously though, it bugs me that this isn't already built into their higher end keyboard controllers which is the main reason I refuse to buy one.

I lusted after this one like 20 years ago, but never got it:

2124216099_images(15).jpeg.80ffd41fb2efb42fcb62d98b6e78c1f3.jpeg

Roland Handsonic. Updated version costs a cool $1K.

In the same boat as the OP, I bought this a few years ago:

atom_producer_lab-02.png.3150e4b43182afea5c3a8b6f503709bc.png

Presonus Atom, around a hundred bucks. Guess what? The build quality really really sucks. The pads don't trigger reliably, which I believe was the point of making the darn thing.

Looking for better!

ATOMpad-large.jpg.auto.webp