New Dawn

lmu2002

Hi everybody! I just got a new song ready and polished, this time adventuring in a different wonderland with a great vocalist.

Superior drummer 3, BiasFx2 and some synths (my usual recipe).

Would be nice to hear observations and comments from fellow music makers :)

• Like 2

14 hours ago, KurtS said:

I'm listening on my phone with ear buds so not ideal. The guitar sounds made me want to turn it off, very thin and hard on the ears.  Good song and great playing. 

Thanks! Very good. Is your ear bud sound also generally thin? The guitar sound is the hardest thing to get right in metal. Too much distortion makes it soft and loose attack and articulation, and less distortion can result in hardness. The hi/low balance of the guitars also needs a good ear when mixing. And good monitoring, which I don't have, so I try listening with many speakers and headphones to make sure nothing is off. But that doesn't really replace a reliable, good quality monitoring.

Anyway, thanks for the food for thought!

I'm sitting here on super shitty speaker, but let me non the less share my opinion :) 

Great track and video. What I react to is that the vocal could blend more into the music, it seems a bit to prominent on it's own.  

Another ting is also focused on the vocal, and the dynamics of the track. I feel that often the vocal is to early in the track, it comes like 

pre explosion ... instead of post/out of explosion. Just my few cents. Good material you got there.

19 hours ago, iRelevant said:

I'm sitting here on super shitty speaker, but let me non the less share my opinion :)

Great track and video. What I react to is that the vocal could blend more into the music, it seems a bit to prominent on it's own.  

Another ting is also focused on the vocal, and the dynamics of the track. I feel that often the vocal is to early in the track, it comes like 

pre explosion ... instead of post/out of explosion. Just my few cents. Good material you got there.

Good observation. I never thought that the timing needed improving. Must pay more attention next time.

I agree on the vocal levels. I think that in harder rock the vocalist should compete with the rest of the band if it's loud. This should start from the songwriting level. In this case I wanted the vocalist feel comfortable with the mix, and be the center of attention. So it's a bit elevated but I can live with that.

The older I get the louder I mix the vocals. Serve the song. If we’re telling a story, I want to hear it. (just my nickel98).

I don’t find the guitars “thin”, but different strokes...

t

Bose cans btoothed to the iPhone. 
not ideal either...

almost forgot to add I enjoyed the listen.