Humble Bundle Video Package

Brian Cadoret

I'm in video editor hell right now. I have both Vegas Pro Edit 15 and Movie Studio 16, and Vegas Pro locks up on rendering, Movie Studio doesn't load all the FX I want to use....bleah. Not a fan of MAGIX, at least based on my experiences with these.

There is nothing about my system that is exotic, it's a friggin' Dell with an nVidia card. I'm trying to use their presets for rendering. Just awful.

Never heard of this Movavi brand, but I'm up for something that doesn't crash, lock up, etc.

19 minutes ago, Starship Krupa said:

I'm in video editor hell right now. I have both Vegas Pro Edit 15 and Movie Studio 16, and Vegas Pro locks up on rendering, Movie Studio doesn't load all the FX I want to use....bleah. Not a fan of MAGIX, at least based on my experiences with these.

There is nothing about my system that is exotic, it's a friggin' Dell with an nVidia card. I'm trying to use their presets for rendering. Just awful.

Never heard of this Movavi brand, but I'm up for something that doesn't crash, lock up, etc.

I've used Movavi for a long time. It's basic but easy...and rendering is an awful lot faster than Magix! For what I need - preparing materials for online lectures - it's perfect.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

One little trick I learned for Vegas is, before rendering, collapse (minimize) all the tracks and close all windows (preview, plugin, FX etc..). Then render. It cuts rendering time in half.... sometimes even more.

Hope this helps

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Idea 1

7 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

There is a trial which might help your decision, although I think it leaves a watermark on render.

https://www.movavi.com/video-editor-plus/?gclid=CjwKCAjw-sqKBhBjEiwAVaQ9a3WATVq8jikdyh7D-77UUVIyT75H7o9Ibxg7u5FP6Lf5gMrEKvneUxoCZb8QAvD_BwE

When I first got Vegas Pro about twenty years ago, it crashed all the time, but I just chalked it up to me not having a powerful enough computer.  As I started to bet more power and 64 GB RAM, it continued to be a disaster. Crash. Crash. Crash.   Last year I started making YouTube videos regularly, and my videos got longer and often had many layers of special effects, text, etc. 

And when I went online I found out I wasn't alone.  Lots of people talked about how Vegas crashed.  So one of my regular activities was looking for new solutions and trying them.  I didn't have your problem with rendering.

I could see how somebody making very simple videos with Vegas might be fine.  But with all the crashes it was taking me three or four times as long.  I was complaining to my wife and she just said, why don't you get new editing software.

So I bought Adobe Premiere. Very expensive, although I got a slight discount through my wife's work.   Only available on subscription.  The day I started using it was the day all my problems ended.  There were also features that made it work two or three times faster. 

For example, right now I'm doing a video with an animated collage.  This would be very difficult to do in editing software.  But I just put everything together in Photoshop.  Premiere imports Photoshop files. All the png files were in place and all I had to do was animate them.  I could never have done it otherwise. 

Because Premiere is a standard, there are many thousands of plugins available for it as opposed to the NewBlue stuff and very little else for Vegas.  There are tons of free plugins out there.  That was like a wonderland, to suddenly be able to get all these plugins.  Kind of like getting full Kontakt.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Reid Rosefelt said:

So I bought Adobe Premiere.

Sigh. I'd love to check out Premier, but I just can't do subscriptions.

This is because I'm just a hobbyist who doesn't make very many videos. Generally, at the end of a music project (and ends are few and far between, as many know), I'll do a video for the song.

Another reason is that I'm pretty broke a lot of the time, so having another bill to pay just wouldn't work. I can save up, I can wait for deals on licenses, I am a hound for freeware, but paying the same price monthly or yearly as someone who uses the software professionally on a daily basis is not realistic.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

Sigh. I'd love to check out Premier, but I just can't do subscriptions.

This is because I'm just a hobbyist who doesn't make very many videos. Generally, at the end of a music project (and ends are few and far between, as many know), I'll do a video for the song.

Another reason is that I'm pretty broke a lot of the time, so having another bill to pay just wouldn't work. I can save up, I can wait for deals on licenses, I am a hound for freeware, but paying the same price monthly or yearly as someone who uses the software professionally on a daily basis is not realistic.

Have you tried DaVinci? I know some people get on well with that.

My experience with Vegas is that is doesn't play well with 3rd party plugins. If you have tried scanning a folder with VSTs or audio plugins, that may be what is causing it to crash. The experience I had was that I included my DAW VST folders in the Vegas plugin scan and it completely *****ed up some of the VSTs - I had to spend most of a week figuring out which VSTs had been effected, uninstall them, and reinstall them. I learned my lesson the hard way. Now, I keep my plugins to a minimum when using Vegas, and I do any audio processing outside of Vegas, not inside. 

I guess it's the age old problem of using your laptop for multi-tasking. You should really have a machine dedicated for Audio, another for Video, and another for internet - but we can't afford to fill our houses with laptops, can we?

Movavi has 7-day free trials of their software, with typical restrictions like watermarks, but enough to see if it's for you.  They sell a lot of interesting add-ons, once you get into their world.

Movavi has a big staff and a large user base.  I don't know their software, but from the outside they are the opposite of Magix.  Magix buys other people's technology, like Engine and Vegas, with whatever problems and bugs they have.  Then they do nothing to make it better.  It's all about buying a loyal user base who will stick with it and even upgrade because they don't want to learn something new.  And the big trick is to sell new versions with add-ons that don't work with other software, so people keep pouring money in.

Movavi, on the other hand, seems to be starting from zero with simple software without a lot of bloat.  It works, it's reasonably priced they are making it better, and they are making tons of products for their ecosystem.

Even though I use Premiere, there are lots of things I still use Vegas for because I like the plugins I have.  This is so cheap I'm considering getting it.  Maybe I'll like their screen recorder or their video converter.  Also Gecata seems interesting.  As it can record games, can it record DAWs with sound?  

Do be aware that  they sell regular and commercial versions of their effects packages.  So you would have to buy their commercial versions to use it on a monetized YouTube channel.   So for example, some of the free stuff in this package sell for $24.95 in their store, but it costs $49.95 for the Commercial Account.  And even the commercial account license only allows for one social media site. My point about this is it's great for people having fun with video, but extremely expensive for people who have commercial YouTube and other social media accounts. 

But I totally sympathize with anybody who doesn't want to or can't buy a subscription.  But I also have Netflix and Hulu and Amazon and Apple and all this other stuff. There's always some show that my wife and I want to watch. It's depressing to see this charge every month on my credit card bill, but I"m starting a series that is going out 52 weeks a year, and I just can't be messing around with Vegas. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, msmcleod said:

Yeah, I've got it on my laptop... didn't really want it on my desktop though. 

I'll give it a try. I guess I can live with it on my dev partition.

just make sure it's not set to run at boot, launching a steam app will start it up for you