MIDI Instrument track - Automation bug

Tu Nguyen

Hi there, it's my first post here.

I've had some MIDI track which behave weird lately, Kontakt volume just auto change the volume although i have no automation or read turn on. 

Here's how to reproduce the bug:

1. Insert an instrument track
2. Split the track into MIDI and Audio track
3. Press the automation lane button
=> Now it's automated, no way to control volume unless make new MIDI track. I've tried delete the automation node, delete the automation lane, unread the track, even turn of "Zero controller when play stop" under Project-MIDI setting.

QdSAXLV.png

This specifically just happen with MIDI & instrument track. If you have an combined instrument track, or just MIDI track, this won't happen. I think it's a small bug but now if i accidentally press the automation lane of any MIDI track, i'll have to change the volume with automation or make a new MIDI track and copy everything from that track over which is so time consume. If it's not bug however, please tell me how to fix it. 

Regards,

Maybe I'm not getting what's going on in your example, but the issue doesn't seem to be related to volume automation. The instrument seems to be doing its own thing, even when automation is disabled. Are you sure this particular instrument's volume is controlled by CC7 and not CC11 or CC1?

1 hour ago, bitflipper said:

Maybe I'm not getting what's going on in your example, but the issue doesn't seem to be related to volume automation. The instrument seems to be doing its own thing, even when automation is disabled.

Before i press the "automation lane" button,  the track is still working fine, i can change the volume however i want in Kontakt.
After press the "automation lane", Cakewalk create a default volume automation which SHOULD not affect my Kontakt volume unless i draw anything in. And yes, it didn't affect the volume if it was a simple instrument track. 

But only with MIDI and Instrument track link together, this default volume automation auto switch my volume back when i playback. So i whatever volume i change after that, it'll automatically change to the default volume when i press playback button.

When this happen, the problem persist even after i delete the automation node, automation lane, unread automation... i have 2 option then:
- Delete the MIDI track and create a new one, then the problem disappear until i (accidentally) press automation lane button
- Use the automate volume to control the Kontakt patches volume indepently

Are you sure this particular instrument's volume is controlled by CC7 and not CC11 or CC1?

Yes, i've tried move the "default volume node" to another position and delete it, when i playback, Kontakt auto move that patch to the same volume position before i delete that automation node.

2 hours ago, David Baay said:

Right-click the Volume control in the MIDI track, and choose Disable.

Thanks David, it work ... temporarily. If i touch the MIDI track volume again, the problem will appear again.

57 minutes ago, Tu Nguyen said:

Thanks David, it work ... temporarily. If i touch the MIDI track volume again, the problem will appear again.

That's working as designed. By default the control is disabled as indicated by parentheses around the value, and will have no effect. Moving it enables it, and then the value you set will be sent to the synth every time the project is opened, and every time playback is started.