Album Premix Techniques

Starise

I mostly record my own material and post it online.  I'm not well versed in the ways most mix a set of songs in Cakewalk for album CD distribution. I've been getting more jobs that require mixes and setups that want a finished CD, so I'm curious how some of you who do this more often might  go about it. For instance would you put any limiting on individual songs before they go to the final master?  Some of the mixes lack punch and volume if I don't add a limiter before the master. My plan was to mix each tune for the CD and then use another more dedicated program for the final mix.

The CD will be for a charity and so it won't need to be tagged for commercial distribution. My client has someone who will run off the CDs. Not sure what they are using to do it or if they are subbing it out. My plan was to get all of the tracks lined up after export from Cakewalk  into the other mastering program where I would even out the volume levels, add EQ if necessary and limiting. 

As it stands each track needs a different touch. Some seem to need limiting before the master mix to get the levels up. 

To those who mix these kinds of projects often, do you employ some pre mastering before the master? Thanks!

I don't know if you owned Sonar previously so therefore have access to the wealth of plug-ins, but if you do, I think you'll find this article helpful. Even if you have only CbB, I still think the comments on workflow might help, and of course, the Sonitus effects can do most of what you need. I also wrote an article on how to do continuous, DJ-style mixes in Cakewalk, which might be applicable.

Cakewalk is not really designed for album assembly, so you'll need a different program for that. For me, the best option is Studio One, but the Artist version doesn't offer this feature so you would need to pay the $$ for the Pro version. On the other hand if you've always wanted a deep editing program, then Magix Sound Forge or Steinberg Wavelab do album assembly as well as editing.

The workflow varies for different people. I take non-processed, mixed tracks recorded in Cakewalk, bring them into Studio One's project page, and do any processing there. That way I can use SO's analytics to compare the various tracks in context, as well as its plug-ins. For maximization and dithering, my favorite plug-in is the Waves L3. However, the Adaptive Limiter is excellent if you have it.

Hope this helps, I'd be happy to help with any follow-up questions.

• Like 2

Thanks Craig. I'm a long time Cakewalk fan...since Pro 8.  I was hesitant to mention my other programs here which are in fact Studio One Pro 4 and Sound forge. I made an acoustic guitar album with SO4 tags and all. I have not used SoundForge. Bought it on a deal never opened it. I have some decent limiters including the Waves L3 I think.  The acoustic album was an easier mix. Less elements involved.

I think I'll do the same thing you do. I'm not as familiar with SO4 but I should be able to get the hang of it. My last CD album was several years back. That's the last time I attempted this.

I'll read those article links tonight.Thanks again!

Thanks Craig. I was successful in the mastering. Sounds pretty darned good!  I only added light compression where needed and EQ in the mix stage. Final EQ and limiting in the master stage. Studio One can't be beat for this application. I had forgotten how easy it is. Drop the tracks in and they all line up in order. Low cpu hits. Master. Burn disc. Done!

technically because CbB is free your not really doing harm by talking or even raving about other software.  

My approach to making a album is to first try and use the same ""band" that the instruments and settings are  close to the same from song to song. Example, I will use the same bass VST using the exact same settings and signal path. Drums I build a kit and then just like a real drummer I might change the only snare.  I make notes and try to record all my guitars and vocals using the same pre amps, mikes etc. 

All songs will share the same buss set up and plug ins with pre sets or use mix recall to share pre sets. Mix recall can be a powerful tool for sharing a set up from song to song.   I then export each song and master in Wave Lab. II make sure each song has the same average RMS level. I listen to this on as many systems as possible and take notes.

If one song shines as the best I then see why and copy it's mix recall to other songs. After a few rounds the "album" has good glue and even if the styles are different it sounds more like a concert of a live band. My wife is very critical of when my songs don't sound the same. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cactus Music said:

technically because CbB is free your not really doing harm by talking or even raving about other software.  

Well there is that :)  Even people who use other software will surely recognize that CbB has some unique attributes, and add it to their toolkit. Just waiting around for AAF...