Can Someone Confirm This?

Grem

It requires IKM  MODO Drums.

Load modo drums into a new project.

Go the the 'Groove' tab in Modo Drums, select Pop/Verse/Better Verse 2 and play/preview it in Modo Drums. Notice the smooth way the snare drags are playing.

Now drag that mdid into MODO Drum midi track and play it in CW. Does it sound the same?

For me it does not. Something is happening when it's getting dragged into CW. I tried this with Studio 1 and it works as expected. And any of the other midi loops I have dragged from MODO Drums works fine in CW. I am just finding that one giving me trouble and I can't figure out why.

Yep, does it for me too.  And the same process play fine in Nuendo 11.  The MIDI event list in Nuendo seems a bit odd though.  I'd need to compare the event list in Cakewalk to the event list in Nuendo to figure out what's different.  I suspect Cakewalk's import MIDI process has some issue with the MIDI that MODO Drums is generating.

16 hours ago, David Baay said:

Don't have MODO Drum (yet), but... is the MIDI using controllers or key switches to generate the drag or is it just done with note events?

That's what I thought too Dave, but I see no controller events other than the velocity and one for the foot.

Edited by Grem

2 hours ago, Matthew Sorrels said:

Yep, does it for me too.  And the same process play fine in Nuendo 11.  The MIDI event list in Nuendo seems a bit odd though.  I'd need to compare the event list in Cakewalk to the event list in Nuendo to figure out what's different.  I suspect Cakewalk's import MIDI process has some issue with the MIDI that MODO Drums is generating.

Ah.. thanks Matt. It plays fine in Studio One for me also. Also plays as expected in Reaper.

I did look for differences between the notes themselves and to me it looks as if CW is producing more notes than what appears in Studio One.

I have included two pics, one in CW PR and the other in SO PR. You can clearly see the CW version has more notes in it resulting in not as 'clean' sounding drag. In between beat 1.03 and 1.04 in SO there's only one note (not counting the note slightly ahead of time on 1.04) in the first sixteenth division whereas in CW there are two. Same thing when it comes to the actual drag, more notes (before and after the drag) in CW than in the SO.

image.thumb.png.a0572a4487b8eb48a55ceabe1d61913d.png

@David Baay I have also included the Event List for that section shown in pic. Maybe you see something?

33417335_ModoDrumSnareDragEventList.thumb.PNG.2cf79b8304d1508ad92b9d22aab7c7b7.PNG

Thanks for the replies.

In the event list, I see a lot of D3s with what looks like 0 duration, and I think these are corresponding to the fast sequence of notes for the drag. Try Select by Filter, and raise their duration to 15 or 30 or whatever will fit without overlap.

EDIT: I also see some of those D3s are on the same timestamp, e.g. 2:02:244  - not good.

Edited by David Baay

57 minutes ago, David Baay said:

In the event list, I see a lot of D3s with what looks like 0 duration, and I think these are corresponding to the fast sequence of notes for the drag. Try Select by Filter, and raise their duration to 15 or 30 or whatever will fit without overlap.

EDIT: I also see some of those D3s are on the same timestamp, e.g. 2:02:244  - not good.

@David BaayDo you think this is a misread by CW? Or is MODO Drums sending extra info that's not being seen by the other DAWs? That's kinda where I am right now. Who to contact!

Took a look at the event list and see what your talking about. Will send something to CW and let them know.

Edited by Grem

44 minutes ago, Grem said:

Just realized looking at MODO Drums mapping, those D3 notes are the right hand!!? Left hand is D1

I actually had to Google 'snare drag' when I first saw your post, and  a video I watched showed it involved using both hands/sticks with the right hand playing a quick two-hit 'diddle' before the primary hit with left (though it can be done the other way around). So it makes some sense that the MIDI would have the 'diddle' notes on D3, which I assume is an alternate snare articulation. But I know some drum synths have the multi-hit  'diddle' sound recorded as a single sample, requiring only a single note to trigger it. So it's not clear which implementation is used in this case.

Scook gave me an idea, when I went to look for the file in MODO Drums directory, I decided to drag the file to the CW project and guess what.... it played as intended!! So something is getting added to the file when I drag from MODO Drums interface into the project.

Scook thank's for the link, but it's beyond my abilities to operate such a program!! LOL :)  (Really, I can't figure out how to use it!!)

Dave I call it a snare drag. That's what I have always known it as. It may have a technical name for it that I am unaware of.

Edited by Grem

7 minutes ago, Grem said:

Scook thank's for the link, but it's beyond my abilities to operate such a program!! LOL :)  (Really, I can't figure out how to use it!!)

The direct link to the program is https://www.fourmilab.ch/webtools/midicsv/midicsv-1.1.zip

Unzip the file to a folder.

Copy the midi file to the folder

Then at the command line type:

midicsv someMIDIfile.mid > someMIDIfile.csv

Then load the csv into a text editor or spreadsheet to see the data.

• Like 1