Can't open .cwp.. please help...

xza

Question

I get an error message the file has been truncated / then another saying its damaged or not compatible with this version of cakewalk. I have tried safe mode it opens as a  blank project.  Any suggestions?  cheers bob                                                                          DSC_0057.thumb.jpg.145c5a324d5ca5e7a2919a66be8055c6.jpgDSC_0058.thumb.jpg.1abab673f7946269dfe6626e134beead.jpg

Hardware Configuration

Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz 3.60 GHz ram 32.0 GB 64-bit operating system, Windows 10 Pro, RME fireface UC , Kurzweil Artis usb midi

it was created with Cakewalk By BandLab 27.01.0.098

the project was working perfectly until the Wednesday 22nd. I didn't do any updates at all for Windows or Cakewalk by Bandlab and the computer wasn't connected to the internet.

All the audio is saved in the audio folder correctly.

Edited by xza
more information

7 answers to this question

First some advice- always back up any projects you have spent time on. Use Save as to copy to a back up drive. 
Projects do become corrupt but it’s pretty rare. 
If your audio is safe then you can rebuild with that. But if you had a lot of midi then you might be hooped without a backup copy. 

I often save projects as midi files as these are bulletproof and can be opened with any DAW.

I put more work into the midi part of my songs than the audio. Audio is easy for me to redo but creating something like a good drum track with midi can be a lot of work. Therefore it needs to be stored safely. 

You could post a copy of just the CWP file with out the audio and maybe one of us can see if we can open it for you. 

• Like 2

Thanks for the reply John

I do have previous versions of this project backed up.  Unfortunately for this recording session the original and back up are corrupt..

Here is the .cwp file  

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JmPRhsBTTFzRjPADkbKMh7vvHSIYxS_Y/view?usp=sharing

If anyone can open it and explain how they did it... I will be eternally grateful  

Cheers Bob 

Edited by xza

I tried it here as well.  Same result. 

I also opened the file up in a hex editor....  most of the file has the same small text string repeated.

Just to be sure, you might want to check your disks for any errors.  Use the Windows System Event Viewer to check this

Start + Run > eventvwr.msc

You can also check your disks overall health with CrystalDiskinfo

• Like 1

One other thing to try. 

Can you explore to the location where the CWP file is actually stored.

Are there other files that have a similar name as your project, but that have a weird extension - ~{date and time}.

The filenames I am thinking about would be like this (using Europe Endless - Kraftwerk.cwp as an example)

Europe Endless - Kraftwerk.cwp.~2021-08-15-19-37-39-423

These would be present if you have versioning enabled versioning in Preferences | File - Advanced (Advanced)

These have been my saviour from time to time.

• Like 1