Best way to counteract latency

AcidicJ

Question

I am making simple multi-track recordings on my laptop with no expensive equipment. When I used Audacity, the track would slide back after recording to perfectly cancel out the latency. I don't need the CPU power to minimize latency in real time. I just want the program to slide the track back however many milliseconds it shifted due to latency. I am using Cakewalk so I can work with MIDI. I have an electric keyboard with a Mio iConnect MIDI to USB converter, and a USB microphone. Is there any way to do what I'm describing in the program?

Thanks!

7 answers to this question

Welcome to the forum.
You should be able to slide/drag any type of clip where you want it to be, depending on your Snap settings.
There is also Process>Nudge. If you know what the offset is, you can set your Nudge values to that amount and use that to move the clip(s) with just a few clicks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bdickens said:

Yes

Use a real audio interface with a proper ASIO driver.

So there is not a way to slide the tracks in alignment. There seems to be a way to do this with audio recording (manual offset under audio preferences), but I haven't figured out a way to do it with MIDI. Again, I have no need for the latency to be adjusted in real time.

39 minutes ago, AcidicJ said:

So there is not a way to slide the tracks in alignment. There seems to be a way to do this with audio recording (manual offset under audio preferences), but I haven't figured out a way to do it with MIDI. Again, I have no need for the latency to be adjusted in real time.

Sure. You can grab your tracks and slide them to wherever you want. Use a proper audio interface and you don't have to worry about it.