cannot see midi input in preferences in cakewalk

loyd

15 hours ago, loyd said:

Cannot see midi input in the devices section of Midi.

Where should I look to make sure my keyboard is recognised?

What keyboard did you plug in? And yes, the tips above ^^^ are all good ones. The computer first needs to recognize the USB device, before any audio software can use it.

5 hours ago, John Vere said:

Most name brand keyboard controllers have a midi driver so check the support pages and be sure to install that instead of using the generic version 

Not all do anymore. Probably something to look into when controller shopping, if that is an important factor for you. Not really an issue for me as I rarely run more than one MIDI application or DAW at a time.

For example, I bought an Arturia KeyLab Mk II this year. From the Arturia manual:

KeyLab mkII is a class-compliant USB device, so its drivers are automatically installed when connecting to a computer. Your controller keyboard will be ready to use within a few seconds after power-up.

4 minutes ago, John Vere said:

The difference for me is my devices that have factory drivers can be turned on with Cakewalk running and they will connect. My generic driver devices require I re start Cakewalk for them to work. Otherwise I guess there’s no big difference. 

Yup. I have several old controllers that have factory drivers. But I was just saying not to expect that from new controllers, at least until you verify.