CA2A and PC2A seem to be the same

gmp

It appears both were patterned off the same analog compressor. If anyone has an opinion on which one is better as far as it's strength as a compressor, please chime in

I like having the CA2A in the FX bin of my vocal tracks. For me it's easier than having it in Inspector/Pro Channel.

Yes, they are modeled after the LA-2A, so they're going to be similar, not only to each other but also to other faithful models of that compressor (e.g. IKM's White 2A Leveling Amplifier).

Personally, I prefer the VST version, but only because I like the tidiness of the fx bin and being able to see at a glance what plugins are in play. Until Mark mentioned it above, I'd never even thought about CA-2A's sidechain input being a differentiator. It's just never occurred to me to sidechain an optical compressor.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, bitflipper said:

Yes, they are modeled after the LA-2A, so they're going to be similar, not only to each other but also to other faithful models of that compressor (e.g. IKM's White 2A Leveling Amplifier).

Personally, I prefer the VST version, but only because I like the tidiness of the fx bin and being able to see at a glance what plugins are in play. Until Mark mentioned it above, I'd never even thought about CA-2A's sidechain input being a differentiator. It's just never occurred to me to sidechain an optical compressor.

Thanks, I also prefer it in the FX bin so I can see it easier. I never like leaving the Inspector open, I like seeing as much Track Pane and Clips Pane as I can even with a big monitor. I'll go back to using CA2A

3 hours ago, bitflipper said:

It's just never occurred to me to sidechain an optical compressor.

IIRC, when the PC2A came out, some were complaining about it not having side chaining, such as "In this day and age it should be standard on all new comps" type of rhetoric.

On 9/22/2021 at 1:37 PM, gmp said:

The controls are exactly the same in the compressors CA2A and PC2A. In fact, even the graphics are almost exact. Is there really a difference in quality and sound? Curious to know other's opinions

As I remember when the PC2A came out it was considered a very good emulation of the original. Can't remember who had CW at that time (was it Roland?) and they soon after released the CA2A for a price. It was considered at the time an 'improvement' over the PC2A. Again this is if I am remembering correctly.

• Like 1