On a stereo track best way to copy left channel and paste to right channel?

Larry T.

Greetings. I got a Focusrite Scarlett Solo and used it to record, on a stereo track, acoustic guitar on the left. WhatΒ is the easiest way to copy that left channel and paste it to the right channel?? Or, just copy the left channel and paste it to the right channel of a new stereo track. I did a number of searches on google and here on the forum but didn't really get a useful answer.

TIA. cheersΒ 

It begs the question why record like that in the first place?

Mono instruments most often are recorded by selecting the interface channel for the incoming signal and setting the track interleave to mono.

If one forgets to do this, either of these

will produce a mono track.

But to answer the question,Β  one way is add Channel Tools to the FX rack and center the left channel in the plug-in.Β  Select the track andΒ ProcessΒ > Apply EffectΒ > Audio Effects.Β Although actually rendering the track is not necessary.

Β 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, scook said:

It begs the question why record like that in the first place?

Mono instruments most often are recorded by selecting the interface channel for the incoming signal and setting the track interleave to mono.

If one forgets to do this, either of these

• bounceΒ the track using Split Mono channel format, center panΒ the new audio track and throwΒ away the empty track or
  • set the track interleave to monoΒ 

will produce a mono track.

But to answer the question,Β  one way is add Channel Tools to the FX rack and center the left channel in the plug-in.Β  Select the track andΒ ProcessΒ > Apply EffectΒ > Audio Effects.Β Although actually rendering the track is not necessary.

Β 

I recorded it that way as the scarlett has onlyΒ one live mic jack....thank you for the infoΒ πŸ‘πŸŽΆπŸŽ€πŸŽΌΒ also, wanted to do different effects on each of the two channels....

Β 

edit: looks like the easiest way is to use Channel Tools to swap the tracks, then i can go back to the track and record another left channel....thanks very much again 🎸🎹

Edited by Larry T.
clarity.

One input doesn't make a stereo track. Splitting or duplicating a mono source just gets you a dual mono. Stereo requires either recording one source from two different locations, whether right next to or across the room from each other or recording two tracks

Β 

What you should do in your case is select the left or right input depending on whether you are using the mic input or the line in.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, bdickens said:

One input doesn't make a stereo track. Splitting or duplicating a mono source just gets you a dual mono. Stereo requires either recording one source from two different locations, whether right next to or across the room from each other or recording two tracks

Β 

What you should do in your case is select the left or right input depending on whether you are using the mic input or the line in.

the scarlett solo is set up to record on the left or right side of a stereo track or both at the same time....so, it is a stereo track....on playback it's only playing on the left channel....the scarlett set up is a 3 pin live mic plug in for 1 (Left) and guitar plug in for 2 (Right).....so, my problem is i want to use a 3pin live mic on the 2 (Right)....i wonder if the scarlett software will let me swap them????.....i will check on that and post back....thanks 🎸🎢

edit: not at home so i can't check the scarlett....called their tech support and left a message for a callback.

edit: wow, that was quick....so, per focusrite tech support the solo inputs can't be swapped by software....he recommended using the DAW to getΒ what i'm aiming for: a recorded by live mic acoustic guitar on Left and a different recorded by live mic acoustic guitar on right.

Edited by Larry T.
clarity.

1 hour ago, Larry T. said:

i'm aiming for: a recorded by live mic acoustic guitar on Left and a different recorded by live mic acoustic guitar on right.

This is most often done by recording two mono tracksΒ then after recordingΒ panning one track to the left and the other to the right

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, scook said:

This is most often done by recording two mono tracksΒ then after recordingΒ panning one track to the left and the other to the right

yes!!!!that's it....i tried panning the track right but it wouldn't as, i now see, it's the whole stereo left channel....many thanksΒ πŸŽΆπŸŽΌπŸŽ·πŸ“―

3 minutes ago, lapasoa said:

In fact ther best way to have a good sounding stereo acoustic guitar is recording by mic and put it on left side and recording the same acoustic guitar by her pickup and put it on the right side.

The acoustic I'm using is an old Lyle from early 1970's, so, it doesn't have a pick up.Β 

The weird things I noticed last night regarding this Scarlett Solo:

1. in track view the acoustic guitarΒ which was recorded by mic, in stereo on left channel only, cannot be heard during playback after I changed the driver back to asio from focusrite so i can hear all the other non-mic recorded tracksΒ unless, in console view, i change the interleave from stereo to mono, which then plays it in mono Β (the left channelΒ shows fine on the meters in track view and console view but needs the focusrite driver to be heard....πŸ™„). no problem, that's acceptable.

2. i decided to use the Scarlett Solo's right channel which is Direct Injection (electric guitar plug....no mic) to record some electric guitar. This played correctly, on the right stereo channel.

3. so, what did i learn???? this is a never ending battle between humans and technology....in other words, business as usual lol!!!!Β 

What are you talking about? Your Focusrite interface has an ASIO driver. There is no need to "change the driver back to ASIO from Focusrite."

Β 

1 hour ago, Larry T. said:

, in console view, i change the interleave from stereo to mono, which then plays it in mono Β (the left channelΒ shows fine on the meters in track view and console view but needs the focusrite driver to be heard....

You're doing this wrong. You should be creating a mono track and then record onto that.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bdickens said:

What are you talking about? Your Focusrite interface has an ASIO driver. There is no need to "change the driver back to ASIO from Focusrite."

I'll check to see if Focusrite has an ASIO driver because my software won't play the audio with the Focusrite driver currently installed (not at home so can't look at my DAW PC). Thank You.

EDIT:I called Focusrite Tech support (they are the best I've ever seen). Told theΒ tech my DAW was CW and I had to switch drivers to hear what was correctly recorded by CW. He advisedΒ that since I don't have a pair of speakers plugged into the Scarlett Solo that this is what happens, it's not a driver issue and their is no other driver for me to download that would correct it.Β Β So, long story short, I'll just go get a pair of speakers.

5 hours ago, bdickens said:

You're doing this wrong. You should be creating a mono track and then record onto that.

I don't see an interleave (Mono/Stereo option)Β in Track View box, only in Console View (not at home so can't look at my DAW PC). Thank You.

Edited by Larry T.
clarity.

29 minutes ago, Larry T. said:

EDIT:I called Focusrite Tech support (they are the best I've ever seen). Told theΒ tech my DAW was CW and I had to switch drivers to hear what was correctly recorded by CW. He advisedΒ that since I don't have a pair of speakers plugged into the Scarlett Solo that this is what happens, it's not a driver issue and their is no other driver for me to download that would correct it.Β Β So, long story short, I'll just go get a pair of speakers.

I figured you had something set up wrong.

Your audio interface is just what the name suggests: the interface between your computer and sound waves in the outside world. It should be the one and only place where sound goes into and comes out of the computer.

Β 

3 minutes ago, Larry T. said:
20 minutes ago, bdickens said:

Focusrite most assuredly has an ASIO driver.

I'll check their site. Thanks 🎢🎼

All this should have been covered in the documentation provided with your interface.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, scook said:

If the interleave buttons are not visible in the track view, change the Workspace setting to None

i tried it last night but since this project is already under way it appeared to be an option that would not load....not positive as i am finishing this project (my first), finally, and will be able to try your advice soon....πŸŽ»πŸ“―πŸ₯πŸŽ·

Edited by Larry T.
clarity.