Need this feature: Save track sizes and position

gmp

Many times when I'm doing a mix, which I do with the track and clip pane in view. I set the size of the vocal track bigger than other tracks and have things like guitar fills, piano fills, backup vocals a little smaller in track size. I have a zoom level that's good for seeing everything set also.

Then I find I need to work on a track, like if I hear a noise on the vocal. I then maximize it so I can see the waveform good, I may greatly zoom in. Once it's fixed I'd like to return to the view I had previously. Sometimes hitting the U key will return to the previous view, yet if it's a zoom or more complicated then I have to go back and resize the tracks.

I tried to solve this with Screensets and Workflow view to no avail. Maybe this feature could be added to one of those

10 hours ago, sjoens said:

Sometimes locking a screenset works. I found in a similar case as yours I needed to switch to another screenset and then back to the locked one to reset track sizes and such. One thing this won't do is reset the Now Time Line.

I'm referring to the vertical size of the tracks in the left Track Pane. I like my vocal track larger so I can see the waveform really well in the Clip pane to the right. It's also good to have the harmony vocals and guitar fill tracks larger. This is very helpful when writing volume automation.  Have you found a way to do this with Screensets?

39 minutes ago, gmp said:

I'm referring to the vertical size of the tracks in the left Track Pane. I like my vocal track larger so I can see the waveform really well in the Clip pane to the right. It's also good to have the harmony vocals and guitar fill tracks larger. This is very helpful when writing volume automation.  Have you found a way to do this with Screensets?

You can do this already. Right click on the track in the track pane and scroll down to "Lock Track Height" or "Set as Default Track Height" (should say something like that.) 

You can save and lock these settings in with screensets. 

You can also go to the View Tab just above the track pane and enable "Auto Track Zoom" right after you've set a desired tracks height. 

Edited by Will_Kaydo

So then if I so all this and want to maximize a vocal track and zoom in to delete a noise. Do I have to turn off "Lock track height"? And then turn it back on? Does "Lock track height" affect all my tracks with the same height?

Lock height is per track & won't affect other tracks.

Double click to maximize. Double click to return to locked height.

Locking track height maintains height no matter which screen set you go to. Saving project with locked height retains height upon reopening.

I think this will solve my problem. I went ahead and changed my template so that Lock Height is already selected on tracks I want it. You can still change the height of a track and then that's the new locked height. When you lock the height of a track, its height does not change when you use a Zoom or Fit command and those are the commands that was affecting my work flow.

Thanks for the help,

@gmp - You could try this:

1.  SHIFT + double click the clip to zoom the track to full screen
2. ALT + Z to return to the previous view

In fact you can use ALT + Z to work your way back through the history of all your zoom steps,  SHIFT + ALT + Z will go forward through your history of zoom steps.

21 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

@gmp - You could try this:

1.  SHIFT + double click the clip to zoom the track to full screen
2. ALT + Z to return to the previous view

In fact you can use ALT + Z to work your way back through the history of all your zoom steps,  SHIFT + ALT + Z will go forward through your history of zoom steps.

More  handy tricks - thanks. For us long time users, many times we can miss little improvements with the newer releases and get locked into our old way of doing things. It's nice to find new better ways to do things

Edited by gmp

Through this process I found another nice feature. Once you set a track's height, you can simply double click the waveform icon in the Track pane for that track and it will maximize the track, but when you double click on it again it returns to the exact size you left it. This doesn't require you to check"Lock Height"