Toontrack release Upright EBX! £59 / $79 / €69

Time+Space

56 minutes ago, telecode 101 said:

so then i really should not be wasting my money on MODOBass if I already have EZBass.

I am thinking I might go for the SVX2 upgrade for my next freebie. Today was first time I looked at SVX. it sounds pretty good in AT 5.

Firstly, MODO is not a waste of money at all if you can grab it as a Group Buy freebie!!!

But the answer is not a clear yes/no for a choice of either EZBass vs. MODO Bass.

To oversimplify, a point that Reid made in his detailed YouTube video comparison of EZBass & UJAM, is that if you want to PLAY bass, get a UJAM bass. If you want to COMPOSE a finished bass track for your song, get EZBass.

To this, I may add that what you get with MODO Bass is no samples, so no load times. Everything is synthesized in real time. And with almost endless ways to shape your bass instrument and sound.

Run MODO through AmpliTube 5 with SVX2 and you have the ultimate tone machine!!! Select full D.I. "10" in MODO, and dial their their AMP mix down to "0.0".

So get all three! I did! I just don't think one can replace the other... :)

Edit: after thinking it over, it occurred to me that MODO Bass is probably more of a producer's bass, rather than a player's or composer's bass...

Edited by abacab
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, InstrEd said:

Of course you do as it is all about the BASS 🤣

Sorry about this ya'll, but just had to... 🤣🤣🤣

And for those of you that would now like 3:10 minutes of your life back... well ... 🤪

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1

Well I was working on a song with EZ Bass and MODO Bass. After working a good bit to get the bass sounding like I wanted it to inside EZB, I tried to send the midi out of EZB to MODO and sure enough, didn't work. It was OK but not like what it sounded like in EZB. Most articulations that make a part sound good, were lost. What a shame. Toontrack really needs to get off of it and open that up. Such a shame.

However, I put my Overloud MKII bass amp with EZB set to DI and no effects it it sounded good. Really good! So there is hope.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Grem said:

Well I was working on a song with EZ Bass and MODO Bass. After working a good bit to get the bass sounding like I wanted it to inside EZB, I tried to send the midi out of EZB to MODO and sure enough, didn't work. It was OK but not like what it sounded like in EZB. Most articulations that make a part sound good, were lost. What a shame. Toontrack really needs to get off of it and open that up. Such a shame.

However, I put my Overloud MKII bass amp with EZB set to DI and no effects it it sounded good. Really good! So there is hope.

yes. this is correct. the articulations are proprietary to EZBass.

44 minutes ago, telecode 101 said:

Most articulations that make a part sound good, were lost.

I did not try the MIDI output from EZBass with MODO bass, but I had good success with the AmpleSound basses.   You just need to translate the EZBass articulations to your VST bass.  In AmpleSound, it was just a matter of sliding the EZBass MIDI articulation note up/down to match the MIDI articulation note that AmpleSound uses.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Michael A.D. said:

need to translate the EZBass articulations to your VST bass.

I thought of this, but didn't work on it. I will give this  a try. Good to know someone has had success with it in another program. At least there is hope.

Maybe in CW  I could use the Drum Map feature to have EZB output to the correct midi for MODO Bass.

1 hour ago, Grem said:

I thought of this, but didn't work on it. I will give this  a try. Good to know someone has had success with it in another program. At least there is hope.

Maybe in CW  I could use the Drum Map feature to have EZB output to the correct midi for MODO Bass.

I haven't used it, but give NoteMapper (free for personal and commercial works; donationware) a try.

Free NoteMapper by CodeFN42

This is a VST that won't read a file and output a translated file. Tried it with NanoHost. If you need to load it into a DAW to use, why not use the DAW's note mapping feature instead? So, a big RosannaRossannadanna "never mind".  I'm going to keep looking for a standalone MIDI note mapper.

I found one called MIDI File Mapper, but I can't try it out. It requires v3.5 of Mickeysoft's .NET framework and I'm not going to install it just for this test. If you have that version of .NET installed, it might be worth a try.

MIDI File Mapper

Edited by John Maar

OK, MODO Bass has a version of a mapper. It's a tab in the UI called 'Control'. It shows MB articulation that you can control. and they are not the same as EZB. I tried changing them to match EZB articulations  and it did have some effect. But nothing that would be usable. 

Found this in the EZB manual looking for articulations:

The main difference between the EZbass grid editor and your DAW is the way you program different articulations and how they are presented to you. This section brings up the articulations, how they are visualized, and a little bit about how they work in the background.

Some articulations are not Key Switches, but rather CC messages. These are described in the next section of this chapter. These are vibrato and palm muting (damping). Pitch bending and velocity are described briefly earlier in this chapter and more in-depth in the next section.

If you play around on the keyboard, you may notice key switches that are beyond the range described in the Key Switch Layout. These are mostly used in a strict fashion by EZbass and are not easily programmable, or were deemed less important than the twelve main key switches available in the layout. Expert MIDI programmers are free to study how they work, but many are practically impossible to get right by human hand within the piano roll of a DAW.

So to me, the way I read that is, EZB will not send these messages out to another program. LOL!! 

The manual goes on to describe each articulation it uses, but gives no hint or info on how to get EZB to send that info out.

It would take some work, but I guess you could try and work something out by playing with a keyboard in a trial and error way. But come to think of it, if EZB ain't sending out the info.... your SOL.

Which brings me back to:

12 hours ago, Grem said:

What a shame. Toontrack really needs to get off of it and open that up. Such a shame.

EZbass is definitely sending out the key switch info.   I will check tonight about the CC messages.  

Even without using CC data, I am getting pleasing results with the far-superior sounding AmpleSound basses that make it worthwhile even if they don't match the exact articulations of the EZbass instrument.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Michael A.D. said:

I am getting pleasing results with the far-superior sounding AmpleSound basses that make it worthwhile even if they don't match the exact articulations of the EZbass instrument.

That's good. With MODO Bass when EZB plays a slide up in MODO it sounds as if the fretboard is being scrapped. No strings noise, just something scrapping the frets. Loudly too!!

Now the good thing about MB is that you can choose what the articulations are assigned to. So if we ever find out what those EZB CC are, MB might be able to get it right. Or close enough. 

16 hours ago, Grem said:

This! When I was trying the demos, the Modo seemed to provide better overall options, buy I liked the composition features of ezbass. When I tried to play parts generated in ezbass in modobass the differences in articulation made that a lot less attractive. They really should include at least three bass types 

• Like 1