Toontrack release Upright EBX! £59 / $79 / €69

Time+Space

1 hour ago, Grem said:

This is from EZ BAss manual:

As incredible as EZbass is as a pure virtual instrument, it is intended as a songwriting tool. Songwriting can start out in the details, but is more productive when making broad strokes that flow well together and gradually choosing finer and finer tools.

^^^ This exactly.

That's why we need an AUB for MODO Bass. Come on, IKM! Time to step up to the plate. I have CoreBass Pear from OTS and it's very good, but I'd like a MODO Bass AUB, too.

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

To be clear, I like EZBass a lot and highly recommend it.  I think the engine is amazing and it's well worth the money.  It's another winner for Toontrack.

But when you use it in a piece, it runs as a kind of DAW within a DAW.   So for me it's easier to output the MIDI when I'm done creating it.  Then the MIDI is on a track in my DAW and I can use it to play any bass I own.

So in this case, as I own Trilian and Modwheel's Lowdown and Mellow, I just don't feel the need to buy this. 

But I can't wait for the MIDI 6-packs to come out.

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 2

I'm with Reid.  Whether it's EZKeys or EZBass, I would rather use my instruments than the Toontrack instruments.   I don't mean to knock the Toontrack instruments, as they are OK -  just nothing special...  I find my AmpleSound basses and Modartt keys give me a  much better sound.   I do like the Toontrack environment for creating MIDI tracks and yes, I do like their MIDI packs.

• Great Idea 1

2 hours ago, Reid Rosefelt said:

can't wait for the MIDI 6-packs to come out.

5 minutes ago, Michael A.D. said:

like the Toontrack environment for creating MIDI tracks and yes, I do like their MIDI packs.

Agreed!!!

Reid my best bass sound libraries are probably MODO Bass!! Waves Bass Fingers is next!! So sound quality is something I can get around. But I can agree after listening to MODO bass, then switching to EZ Bass, MODO sounds much better. But I got to give them props for the EZ series. All of them are a valuable tool for me.

Edited by Grem

33 minutes ago, Grem said:

Agreed!!!

Reid my best bass sound libraries are probably MODO Bass!! Waves Bass Fingers is next!! So sound quality is something I can get around. But I can agree after listening to MODO bass, then switching to EZ Bass, MODO sounds much better. But I got to give them props for the EZ series. All of them are a valuable tool for me.

The EZBass series seems to be a great tool for songwriters. The fact that you can drag all EZBass MIDI patterns out to your DAW tracks is a big plus!

As far as the upright bass gap goes, I obtained the Ample upright bass this year. That is one sweet sound!

I also have MODO Bass, and agree that is a very versatile bass VST with a great sound! If IK just added an upright model it would be even more awesome! Also have Waves Bass Fingers, and a couple of UJAM  basses, but haven't melded with them yet. My Fender P-Bass is still in the closet, needing new strings.... 🤣

15 minutes ago, abacab said:

If IK just added an upright model

This right here. IK just puts something out and almost forgets about it.

I am working with MODO Drums for the first time since I got it. I am finding that it really is a very good sounding drum program. What surprised me the most about it was the Grooves that came with it. They are very good, but limited. IK should come out with more, much more!!

And MODO bass comes with... nothing!!! Not one groove!? WT*? That makes no sense. As good as that thing sounds it should have some grooves/loops that comes with it. And now that it's released IK will not come back to it to fix/correct an oversight. SMH

Now Sample Tank: Have ya'll listened to the gooves and loops that come with it? They sound pretty dang good! All of them I listened to are very useable. So why hasn't IK release more or let 3rd parties create some grooves or loops? This would add value to some already outstanding products. And ST4 has a 

IDK.. but ya gotta just shake your head and say opportunities missed!!

5 hours ago, Reid Rosefelt said:

To be clear, I like EZBass a lot and highly recommend it.  I think the engine is amazing and it's well worth the money.  It's another winner for Toontrack.

But when you use it in a piece, it runs as a kind of DAW within a DAW.   So for me it's easier to output the MIDI when I'm done creating it.  Then the MIDI is on a track in my DAW and I can use it to play any bass I own.

So in this case, as I own Trilian and Modwheel's Lowdown and Mellow, I just don't feel the need to buy this. 

But I can't wait for the MIDI 6-packs to come out.

yup. gree about the  DAW within the DAW  comment. Its a little odd to use. i guess if one also uses superior drummer or ex drummer, the same thing applies.

27 minutes ago, telecode 101 said:

the  DAW within the DAW  comment

Speaking of that, does anyone know how to switch focus between EZ Bass and the DAW using the keyboard?!! I have looked up and down for that info and have not come across any reference to it. Surely others has to be asking the same question!!?

9 hours ago, Grem said:

And MODO bass comes with... nothing!!! Not one groove!? WT*? That makes no sense. As good as that thing sounds it should have some grooves/loops that comes with it. And now that it's released IK will not come back to it to fix/correct an oversight. SMH

I think I am going to experiment with playing back EZBass patterns using MODO Bass as the instrument. I would expect to have some issues where patterns are optimized to work with the EZBass instrument itself, but heck, that's still better than no patterns in MODO... :)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Grem said:

And MODO bass comes with... nothing!!! Not one groove!? WT*? That makes no sense.

IIRC, MODO bass came out first. They probably received feedback that grooves were good, and then decided to add that feature to their newer products instead.

Being modelled, I bought MODO drum thinking that IK would/could easily add new kits and tools (e.g. brushes); think about how many different sounds Modartt can get out of their Pianoteq engine - piano variants, glockenspiels, steel drums, marimbas. I suppose the cymbals in MODO drum (being sampled) present a challenge though.

4 hours ago, abacab said:

I think I am going to experiment with playing back EZBass patterns using MODO Bass as the instrument. I would expect to have some issues where patterns are optimized to work with the EZBass instrument itself, but heck, that's still better than no patterns in MODO... :)

yup. i use it that way as I prefer the sound of NI Kontakt basses as they sound better to me. But you lose all the fancy articulations of EXbass.

What I will try is what one guy suggested. Make a DI track in EZbass and then load up a bass amp VST on it.

so this me just playing around with EZbass. i loaded EZ into Cubase. Built the song progression. Then exported the DI track within EZ to a wave file.  Then muted the EZ track and loaded up a new track with AT5 SVX and used that DI wave file.  it sounds better than in EZ IMO.. but as always, the problem with that workflow is you are building it all up and out from the bass track. gotta keep going into EZ and exporting the DI should you need to change something.

Edited by telecode 101
  • Great Idea 2

22 minutes ago, Bapu said:

50% say yes and 50% say no.  😉 

So I guess it's up to you to decide for yourself, no?

5 minutes ago, InstrEd said:

If I vote yes will that sway you? Or will I be trying to steal your decision 🤔 🤣

Ya'll on a roll this morning!!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, antler said:

IIRC, MODO bass came out first. They probably received feedback that grooves were good, and then decided to add that feature to their newer products instead.

Thought the same thing. That's why I was saying they should come back and fix it!

4 hours ago, antler said:

Being modelled, I bought MODO drum thinking that IK would/could easily add new kits and tools (e.g. brushes);

Ralph over at Rayzoon (Jamstix) has made a midi mapping for MODO drums that makes use of the features in MODO Drums. Wish Toontracks was as forward thinking.

Here is the control map for MODO Bass. Might take some work to draw in some desired keyswitches in the piano roll and/or automate some CC parameters, to approximate the EZBass "fancy" articulations.

All controls in the "Type" column can be set to "Off/Control Change/Learn", or they each have an additional "Type" option that might vary between one of: "Keyswitch/PW/Aftertouch".

Keyswitch values can be adjusted up or down from C-2 to E7.

Latch is "On/Off".

MODO Bass Control.JPG

Edited by abacab

7 hours ago, antler said:

IIRC, MODO bass came out first. T

so then i really should not be wasting my money on MODOBass if I already have EZBass.

I am thinking I might go for the SVX2 upgrade for my next freebie. Today was first time I looked at SVX. it sounds pretty good in AT 5.

Edited by telecode 101
  • Like 1