Jump to content
Morten Saether

2021.09 Feedback

Recommended Posts

@Helene Kolpakova 
Re 1 the sources are per project while export presets are global. So this isn't really possible without having a concept of per project presets which seems a bit overkill. I'm not sure I understand your workflow and why you need it to remember that state though. We could possibly consider remembering the selected sources state for the duration of the editing session but I'm not sure how useful that would be.

Re 2 its already available. Go to the media browser tab and choose the "Project Audio Export Folder" preset. That should take you there automatically.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Helene Kolpakova said:

 

  1. Since %PROJECTFOLDER%\Audio Export is the default location for audio export, I think it'd be an easy and useful feature to add "Reveal Project Folder in File Explorer" item to the Project Menu. This would be a quick way to all your project exports after the export completed toast notification is dismissed.

I think this can already be done if you choose the new folder you want in each project.

image.png.6a060030b2f3ec097b89ed38ba6db3a4.png

Using the default folder which is configured in Edit->Preferences is a facilitator.

If you change it to the folder you want at the time of export, that folder will remain as the project's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

>>Up to E.A.134, all "BOUNCE BUFFER SIZE" settings are invalid in ASIO. 

Yes this was a bug that was fixed

>>-As a result of the setting being enabled in E.A.137, there are no options other than "PlayBack Size" in my plug-in.
I'm not sure what you mean. In the latest release you can either use playback size or any other buffer size. If you leave it at playback size it uses the driver latency setting otherwise its whatever value you specify. As described in the release notes depending on plugins used, use conservative buffer sizes such as up to 50 msec. The only benefit to larger sizes is to speed up export time. 


BUF10-50.jpg.55d41a8aaa93d056b9086efb226e050d.jpg

Bounce Buffer Size 10 MS -50 MS export result.
It was clear that there was such a gap.
I haven't tried a single digit.

You can see that it is faster or slower when the settings are other than playback.
If the value is higher than this, the deviation width will increase.
* BUF.10 is not normal and some tracks are in fast timing.

Although it is a deviation when setting this buffer, it seems difficult to adjust because the result seems to change slightly each time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Toy there is no difference between setting bounce buffer size or manually or changing the audio latency to a higher number and redoing the bounce. Behind the scenes it has the same effect except its not changing the driver latency.
If you are seeing differences its due to the plugins in your project and out of our control. You can repeat this test by changing the playback buffer size and redoing the bounce each time with the default "PlayBack Size" option selected.

i.e. Do this test:
Export with bounce buffer size set to 20
Export with playback buffer size set to 20 and bounce set to Follow playback  

Compare the two wave files. They should be identical assuming you set the buffer size the same

Another thing to try:
Bypass all your plugins and do the test again. If the audio aligns then the issue is caused by one of the plugins. You can use a process of elimination to find the problem.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Toy said:

You can see that it is faster or slower when the settings are other than playback.
If the value is higher than this, the deviation width will increase.

This looks like what happens when rendering MIDI through a 32-bit VSTi using Bitbridge at higher buffer settings. An empty buffer of audio is prepended to the rendered wav. It's not noticeable at lower playback buffer sizes, but gets to be a problem when using high offline buffer sizes. This is a longstanding problem with Bitbridge. The 3rd party JBridge does not have this issue.

Edited by David Baay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Milton Sica said:

If you change it to the folder you want at the time of export, that folder will remain as the project's.

This does not seem to be the case.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Helene Kolpakova said:

I typically export using Buses as a source category and have to deselect all buses first and then select the Master bus.

You can quickly deselect all buses by holding down CTRL+SHIFT and clicking any bus, then simply click the Master bus.

Another solution is to solo the Master bus. You can also save the export settings as a task. The track/bus selection state is saved with each task.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, David Baay said:

This looks like what happens when rendering MIDI through a 32-bit VSTi using Bitbridge at higher buffer settings. An empty buffer of audio is prepended to the rendered wav. It's not noticeable at lower playback buffer sizes, but gets to be a problem when using high offline buffer sizes. This is a longstanding problem with Bitbridge. The 3rd party JBridge does not have this issue.

Possibly assuming he is using 32 bit plugins. I did a test rendering a large project with over a hundred tracks and a hundred plugin instances. I bounced the whole project to a new track with a buffer size of 10 msec. Then I did the same test at 350 msec.
Not only did the two renders align perfectly, they null cancelled when I phase inverted. So if there is a problem is isn't in the actual bounce code.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Re 1 the sources are per project while export presets are global. So this isn't really possible without having a concept of per project presets which seems a bit overkill. I'm not sure I understand your workflow and why you need it to remember that state though. We could possibly consider remembering the selected sources state for the duration of the editing session but I'm not sure how useful that would be.

Yeah, I guess I have somewhat of an edge case. I have Sends from the Master bus to three more buses - each for a corresponding HW output, which is currently two pair of headphones and speakers. Point is that each can be processed with FX independently, e.g. for room correction, adapting the sound for the vocalist needs, etc. So when I do audio export of a project, most of the time I only want the Master bus output, not any other buses out there.
What could perhaps help if, say, there's an option to only select the Default Bus for export when source category is set to Buses. But if that also implies a lot of coding/maintenance and blah, I can survive)) I sure did so far)))

51 minutes ago, Morten Saether said:

You can quickly deselect all buses by holding down CTRL+SHIFT and clicking any bus, then simply click the Master bus.

Another solution is to solo the Master bus. You can also save the export settings as a task. The track/bus selection state is saved with each task.

These are certainly some very helpful ideas. I'll probably stick to CTRL+SHIFT and/or master bus solo for now. Thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/23/2021 at 4:31 AM, gmp said:

The External Encoder configuration utility is not working right in 2021.09 new export window.

 I have the External Encoder setup to create an mp3 or an mp3 and also a wav file at the same time.  The mp3 is a variable rate mp3 called VBR 4. In the Export window under Format/File Type I can see my custom choices - VBR 4 and also VBR 4 + Wav. Sometimes I can get the VBR 4 to export correctly, other times I get an error message:

Warning the External Encoder returned an error code and the file may have encoded properly

With this error no file is created. 

If I choose VBR 4 + Wav under format/file, no wav file is created, once an mp3 did get created, other times I got the error code.

Here are the settings for creating an mp3 and a wav file at the same time.  I put this in the External Encoder configuration utility window

MP3 VBR4 + Wav - file name
Extension - mp3
keep source file - checked
PATH:  C:\Program Files (x86)\Cakewalk\Shared Utilities
COMMAND LINE: lame -V4 --vbr-new -m j %I %O

I also copied the 3 Lame files to the 64 bit folder C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Shared Utilities and used that as the Path. That didn't work either. The 3 files in the Shared Folder are lame.css  lame.exe  lame.dll

All this has worked for about 10-15 years just fine

@gmp - we've found and fixed the issue here. We'll get an update out ASAP.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

HI Bakers.

Since the new update I seem to be having a problem where cakewalk is freezing when it tries to flush plugins, and I'm having to close it down via task manager, don't know if anyone has reported this issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Something weird going on in this update..

I'm using Analog Lab Lite (vst instrument), and the sound works fine when playing back inside the project or when rendering with the "Render in Real-time" option enabled, but when doing a normal export there is NO sound rendered from the track Analog Lab Lite is on. I didn't find another VST with this issue either.

I reproduced it on a completely new project as well, so I don't think it's project related..

EDIT: The issue was that this specific VST reacts negatively to setting a larger buffer size for exports - anything above 70ms produced no sound in export, but "Playback"/35ms/70ms settings work fine!

Edited by VibeHistorian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Darren Lavery said:

HI Bakers.

Since the new update I seem to be having a problem where cakewalk is freezing when it tries to flush plugins, and I'm having to close it down via task manager, don't know if anyone has reported this issue.

Can you capture a dump file when this happens? 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for this update! As mentioned before I really appreciate the improvements of Audio Snap and the export! 👍

2 minor issues that I found with 'Export > Standard MIDI File...':

  • The warning 'This project contains digital audio data ...  the digital audio data will not be saved.' appears even if no audio
      clip/track is selected on a export to 'Standard MIDI File...'. I think in this case it is needless (it would reduce 1 click).
  • If a selection starts at the beginning (001-01), then it is ignored and the whole clip is exported.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, VibeHistorian said:

EDIT: The issue was that this specific VST reacts negatively to setting a larger buffer size for exports - anything above 70ms produced no sound in export, but "Playback"/35ms/70ms settings work fine!

Noel has implicitly recommended staying under 50ms unless you know all your plugins are compatible with large buffers. I have run mine at 20ms (960 samples at 48kHz) for years without a problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, VibeHistorian said:

Something weird going on in this update..

I'm using Analog Lab Lite (vst instrument), and the sound works fine when playing back inside the project or when rendering with the "Render in Real-time" option enabled, but when doing a normal export there is NO sound rendered from the track Analog Lab Lite is on. I didn't find another VST with this issue either.

I reproduced it on a completely new project as well, so I don't think it's project related..

EDIT: The issue was that this specific VST reacts negatively to setting a larger buffer size for exports - anything above 70ms produced no sound in export, but "Playback"/35ms/70ms settings work fine!

This is a known issue explicitly mentioned in the release notes. Its out of our control:

Caution: Some plugins can be unstable or crash with large buffer sizes so use this with caution. Depending on the plugins used, we recommend using moderate sizes like 50-100 msec rather than higher sizes. Also if you are using plugin automation, large buffer sizes will not sound smooth if you are using plugins that do not support sample accurate automation.

Several IK multimedia plugins also have this issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, marled said:

Thanks for this update! As mentioned before I really appreciate the improvements of Audio Snap and the export! 👍

2 minor issues that I found with 'Export > Standard MIDI File...':

  • The warning 'This project contains digital audio data ...  the digital audio data will not be saved.' appears even if no audio
      clip/track is selected on a export to 'Standard MIDI File...'. I think in this case it is needless (it would reduce 1 click).
  • If a selection starts at the beginning (001-01), then it is ignored and the whole clip is exported.

Yes we should not be displaying that error message. Its a known issue thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Darren Lavery said:

HI Bakers.

Since the new update I seem to be having a problem where cakewalk is freezing when it tries to flush plugins, and I'm having to close it down via task manager, don't know if anyone has reported this issue.

In addition to what Jon said, have you set your bounce buffer size to a high value? If so set it back to Follow Playback buffer size and retry.

Also you can easily disable the plugin flushing as mentioned in the release notes:

Edit > Preferences > Audio - Configuration File:

BounceFlushTailsMaxDurationSec=n (0 to 60; default is 20; set to 0 to disable tails flushing)
Effects tails maximum flush length while bouncing (seconds).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Something about the new Export feature has me totally stumped....

It used to be the case that you could include in the file info not just the track name but also the artist and album name in such a way that it was digitally 'baked' in. I do understand that you can use tags to include those variables in the file name, but how do you lock that info into the actual file so artist and album name displays underneath the track name in either the wav or mp3 file when you stream it from (for example) Google Drive or Dropbox? I've tried filling the info into the Notes section within CbB before exporting, but it doesn't do this. It only feeds the file naming tags. I hope I've not made this clear as mud! Any help with this would be v much appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Johnny F said:

Something about the new Export feature has me totally stumped....

It used to be the case that you could include in the file info not just the track name but also the artist and album name in such a way that it was digitally 'baked' in. I do understand that you can use tags to include those variables in the file name, but how do you lock that info into the actual file so artist and album name displays underneath the track name in either the wav or mp3 file when you stream it from (for example) Google Drive or Dropbox? I've tried filling the info into the Notes section within CbB before exporting, but it doesn't do this. It only feeds the file naming tags. I hope I've not made this clear as mud! Any help with this would be v much appreciated.

Speaking of Export, one little gripe I have is the export has finished dialog box that sits on top of the clock near the lower right hand corner indefinitely. Is there a way to make that go away, say after 30 seconds or so....

Thanks..

 

  • Great Idea 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...