2021.09 Feedback

Morten Saether

5 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

There's absolutely nothing stopping you from entering literal characters as well, e.g.

{projectname} 1

is perfectly valid.

Also:
1.  You don't need to use the tag editor, you can just type the tags in
2.  You can use the abbreviated tags, e.g. {P}  instead of {projectname}
3.  You can type literal characters while the tag editor is still showing

So 

{P} 1

on a project called My Test Song.cwp

would create a filename of:

My Test Song 1.wav

Thanks for that reminder Mark...

I remember noting that and doing so during the EA, but totally forgot.

I guess I realized that my current method eliminates my need to alter the path as well and I could verify what number I’m up to. If I do as you suggest, I must still alter the path as well.

Nothing simple, but nothing horrible either. Now that we've been told to expect a check bix regarding the export toast, I'm fine with the system and feel comfortable. The only "bug" for my workflow I posted in a separate message (don’t want to derail  op)

1 hour ago, Keni said:

I think what he's referring to is that it has the tag in the field requiring the pasting/typing the name if you wish to add/modify the name as in adding a number to the export name.

If it placed the actual name that the tag refers to only a quick edit of the number is needed.

I would love it that way as well.

Currently my system requires clicking the 3 dotd, navigating to the location/previous mix. Selecting this, then entering the filename box to edit the name... over and over all day...

Yes Keni, that's exactly what we'd both like

7 hours ago, msmcleod said:

There's absolutely nothing stopping you from entering literal characters as well, e.g.

{projectname} 1

is perfectly valid.

Also:
1.  You don't need to use the tag editor, you can just type the tags in
2.  You can use the abbreviated tags, e.g. {P}  instead of {projectname}
3.  You can type literal characters while the tag editor is still showing

I always export all my tracks to folders named E:\Exports\<SongName>\. With the new tags system I could get this fully automated if I could use tags in the Export Location box... like "E:\Exports\{notesname}\". Would you please consider implementing that enhancement? :)

Another solution would be if the previously used path in Location Box could be constantly remembered on a per-project basis... that would also be golden for my workflow. :)

Update: Tags in Export Location is probably not a usable idea after all, since the path is not remembered between sessions, nor is it saved as part of a preset (which is good). So it would therefore be very convenient if the path was actually remembered between sessions on a per-project basis. Then it would be a "set it once per project - and then forget"-parameter. :) (And it wouldn't interfere with those who use the default value of %PROJECTFOLDER%\Audio Export.)

Edited by GreenLight
Added update paragraph

So after some more testing:

• Last used Export path is not remembered between sessions
  • Last used Export preset is not remembered between sessions

I would vote for both of the above to be remembered on a per-project basis between sessions. What do you guys think? Anyone else has a workflow that would benefit from that?

My use case is that I constantly export new versions of a project using the same preset to the same project-specific directory (but one that is not in the .cwp project directory).

Edited by GreenLight
  • Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

4 hours ago, SaGaD Xamun said:

Hello, dear friends.

After running the time cursor project in version 145 disappears after a few hundredths of a second and you cannot see which part of the project is running on the frequency indicator. How can I fix this problem?

Scroll Lock on perhaps?

Unable to export a proper song for about three days now, on the latest build. Effects are cancelled in the export and/or entire tracks disappear and/or the track volumes are changed. Tried a dozen times, reopened project, used different buffer sizes.

By the way, anybody know what the philosophy is behind prerecorded lanes in the track playing while you record a new lane on that same track (monitoring both and or off)? I haven't managed to find a viable one. Or new clips being recorded, of 3-7 lanes available EXACTLY on top of the the clips in the already occupied one.

The arranger view, browser/synth rack/help windows order is never saved. Ever. I thought That got solved, I was happy about that. I was wrong. Neither does the Wet only function in NastyDLA. These things seem to go together.

With the new export dialog, by default our exports end up in the projects directory under 'Audio Export'. The problem is that this directory is scanned when using the 'Clean Audio Folder' and, if you have exported as wav file, you run the chance of deleting your export. At least, it renders the 'Delete All' button useless and you have to delete your files one by one so you don't delete your wav export.

I think that when 'search entire PC' is unchecked, the export directory should also be excluded. Or a second check box could let you decide if you want or not to have your export directory scanned.

Edited by Jacques Boileau
  • Thanks 1

On 10/21/2021 at 3:41 AM, scook said:

Thought so. see

Thank you very much, the problem was solved easily, another question, now my cursor is working properly, but its display is very fragmented and it jumps in a fraction of a second. Is it possible to make adjustments to make the cursor display smoother?

On 10/21/2021 at 2:43 PM, Jacques Boileau said:

With the new export dialog, by default our exports end up in the projects directory under 'Audio Export'. The problem is that this directory is scanned when using the 'Clean Audio Folder' and, if you have exported as wav file, you run the chance of deleting your export. At least, it renders the 'Delete All' button useless and you have to delete your files one by one so you don't delete your wav export.

I think that when 'search entire PC' is unchecked, the export directory should also be excluded. Or a second check box could let you decide if you want or not to have your export directory scanned.

Thanks we'll make sure that folder is excluded.

• Like 2

Really great update overall. I have saved hours of work with the new export panel and tab to transient improvements makes drum editing infinitely easier. However, I have encountered a few potential bugs. 

I set up a task list which consisted of a main mix, stems and tracks through entire mix and left my PC for a few hours. Upon returning back, the tracks task seemed to have restarted and was rendering everything again. I checked the explorer and all the tracks had already been successful exported, yet Cakewalk was still exporting stuff, not sure where they were going or why.  Additionally, after cancelling the export queue, I was unable to archive any of my tracks or folders, the archive button was just unresponsive.  I closed and opened the session and everything was back to normal. I will log a ticket if this hasn't been picked up on already. 

One more thing, I tried to export stems in real time as 'tracks through entire mix' (I use aux tracks instead of busses) but this just bounced silence due to using an external insert on the mix bus. I'm aware this is a side effect of how the external insert works in Cakewalk, but it might be wise to flag users should turn off any external insert before bouncing tracks through entire mix. 

These are minor peeves though, Cakewalk has really came on leaps and bounds recently. It's really great to work on. Amazing work from the team!

Edited by Light Grenade
  • Like 1