2021.09 Feedback

Morten Saether

16 hours ago, Apeirofobia said:

Hi guys, I have one question about this topic :

This behaviour should be valid for buses too, right?

I was wondering this, because when I have 2 buses that contain sidechained tracks (ex: 1 bus with the drum tracks, and another bus with 2 bass tracks, mic and DI) and I solo these buses, the sidechain compression effect between the bass and  the kick drum  is lost (the input in the compressor  dissapears). I don't know if this is a normal behaviour, and if it is, how could I listen to the sidechain compression when I solo buses?

Thanks in advance

It doesn’t work the same way with buses. For a bus sidechain to be heard you have to solo both the recipient bus and the sending bus.

1 hour ago, iRelevant said:

I'm having problems updating to 20.9 from 20.6. BandLab assistant just stand blinking on 'Downloading... (0/0)' forever. 

I believe I have the latest version of assistant, v10.0.4. Any clue as to what can be wrong ? Tried repeatedly for over a week now.

Please use this installer going forward or update directly from within Cakewalk via Help | check for updates.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

It doesn’t work the same way with buses. For a bus sidechain to be heard you have to solo both the recipient bus and the sending bus.

Thanks for your reply! That's exactly what I do, I solo both buses (the drum and bass buses in my case) but there's still no input in the compressor. 

I am so sorry to rant about the Export Completed dialog, just one final piece of input/question from me to the Bakers: :)

Would you please consider making it possible to dismiss it via a keyboard shortcut? (Say, pressing "Esc" would be logical, but I'll take anything if I don't have to use the mouse...)

Thanks for a fantastic DAW! ❤️ 🎵

Just came upon this issue. Bug?

I have a song project set up to do my mastering. I import songs into it and export the masters.

Today I had cause to master 3 songs in a row. I use two tasks to do this. One to create a 16/44.1 wav master for cd and the second task to create mp3

First song all was fine.

2nd & 3rd had this issue.

When I update the mp3 task on the 2nd & 3rd, instead of remembering what was there (in the mp3 dialog) the settings are missing or scrambled to different settings.

oops...

I guess I should have posted this in the feedback forum ?

Edited by Keni

I'm not sure if anyone has addressed this yet, but every time before I hit the Export window, I choose "Save as" and copy the song name. I then open Export and immediately hit Control-V to paste the song name and of course nothing happens.

But in the old Export window when you open the window, the focus is on the file name, so when you hit "Paste" the name goes in the box. It sure would be nice if when you open the Export window that the focus is on the file name, so we can quickly paste the name in the box

• Like 1

12 hours ago, gmp said:

I'm not sure if anyone has addressed this yet, but every time before I hit the Export window, I choose "Save as" and copy the song name. I then open Export and immediately hit Control-V to paste the song name and of course nothing happens.

But in the old Export window when you open the window, the focus is on the file name, so when you hit "Paste" the name goes in the box. It sure would be nice if when you open the Export window that the focus is on the file name, so we can quickly paste the name in the box

I think the new export dialogue uses the file name automatically if you leave {projectname} in the text box. No need to copy paste. 

3 hours ago, Max Arwood said:

I think the new export dialogue uses the file name automatically if you leave {projectname} in the text box. No need to copy paste. 

Yes, it does that for a simple wav file, but mp3 has an additional dialog and the name chosen is the project name (cwp) not the individual clip I import (finished mix).

7 hours ago, Max Arwood said:

I name my projects like this:

client name song name 1

So instead of {projectname} in that box where you can't make any changes to the name. It would be better to have it place my project name in the box where I could make little changes to it. For instance I always delete the number after the project name, which could be 1 or higher numbers. Since I always add  a higher number when I make changes to a project, so I can revert back to an earlier version easily.

In addition to deleting the number after the project name I usually add some of my own personal code to tell me what kind of mix it is. So it seems it would be an easy fix to put the real project name without the cwp in that box instead of the {projectname} which can't be edited. 

Also I do many times make a wav and mp3 at the same time using the External Encoder for a custom mp3 with variable bit rate.

1 hour ago, gmp said:

client name song name 1

So instead of {projectname} in that box where you can't make any changes to the name. It would be better to have it place my project name in the box where I could make little changes to it. For instance I always delete the number after the project name, which could be 1 or higher numbers. Since I always add  a higher number when I make changes to a project, so I can revert back to an earlier version easily.

In addition to deleting the number after the project name I usually add some of my own personal code to tell me what kind of mix it is. So it seems it would be an easy fix to put the real project name without the cwp in that box instead of the {projectname} which can't be edited. 

Also I do many times make a wav and mp3 at the same time using the External Encoder for a custom mp3 with variable bit rate.

Usually I save as Project-02 then when I export I get Project-02.wav The next time ia save as 03 and export - I get Project-03.wav. I think the Mp3 would have the same name too. Not sure about this that. I'm not sure but you might try {projectname}+02_data??? There might be secret "{???}"'s we don't know about either.  Don't know if it would work or not.  I usually put this " I usually add some of my own personal code to tell me what kind of mix it is." in the file name - Just started this practice this year, not in every file name, but just the ones that have major changes in them. When I export the info it in the .wav Hope this helps. Let us know about whether you and }+ in that data entry box/

46 minutes ago, Max Arwood said:

Usually I save as Project-02 then when I export I get Project-02.wav The next time ia save as 03 and export - I get Project-03.wav. I think the Mp3 would have the same name too. Not sure about this that. I'm not sure but you might try {projectname}+02_data??? There might be secret "{???}"'s we don't know about either.  Don't know if it would work or not.  I usually put this " I usually add some of my own personal code to tell me what kind of mix it is." in the file name - Just started this practice this year, not in every file name, but just the ones that have major changes in them. When I export the info it in the .wav Hope this helps. Let us know about whether you and }+ in that data entry box/

I tried adding MAST at the end of the y {projectname} and it works fine for wav files, yet I got an error for the mp3. It didn't create the mp3. It's  because I’m using the External Encoder. It works fine for the regular CbB mp3

7 hours ago, gmp said:

client name song name 1

You do know you can create  your own presets?  These can be in the form of:
1. Your own filename presets
2. Your own complete Mix presets, including a default filename

I suggest making sure you put the client name / song name in the notes tab for your project, and setting your default filename to:

{notesartist} {notesname}

55 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

You do know you can create  your own presets?  These can be in the form of:
1. Your own filename presets
2. Your own complete Mix presets, including a default filename

I suggest making sure you put the client name / song name in the notes tab for your project, and setting your default filename to:

{notesartist} {notesname}

I checked it out. Pretty amazing stuff. If I were to try this I'd need to open the browser, select notes and  add into the notes - artist and  name (songname).  I already have the artist name and songname in my CWP. 

So in my case it's easier to not have to type that again and just open export and paste my cwp name in there. All I have to do it delete the number at the end of the cwp and then type in a few letters or numbers. 

For them to change it so where my CWP name is in the box instead of {projectname) may foul up the current tasks, not sure. The simpler solution is when I open the Export window that the focus is on my filename, so I can easily edit it, instead of having to click in that box and then hit Paste. 

Ideally I'd prefer when I open the Export that my CWP name is already in there, not {projectname) , so I don't even have to hit Paste.

2 hours ago, gmp said:

I checked it out. Pretty amazing stuff. If I were to try this I'd need to open the browser, select notes and  add into the notes - artist and  name (songname).  I already have the artist name and songname in my CWP. 

So in my case it's easier to not have to type that again and just open export and paste my cwp name in there. All I have to do it delete the number at the end of the cwp and then type in a few letters or numbers. 

For them to change it so where my CWP name is in the box instead of {projectname) may foul up the current tasks, not sure. The simpler solution is when I open the Export window that the focus is on my filename, so I can easily edit it, instead of having to click in that box and then hit Paste. 

Ideally I'd prefer when I open the Export that my CWP name is already in there, not {projectname) , so I don't even have to hit Paste.

FYI - {projectname} is the CWP name,  {notesname} is the song name from the notes tab.

1 hour ago, msmcleod said:

FYI - {projectname} is the CWP name,  {notesname} is the song name from the notes tab.

I think what he's referring to is that it has the tag in the field requiring the pasting/typing the name if you wish to add/modify the name as in adding a number to the export name.

If it placed the actual name that the tag refers to only a quick edit of the number is needed.

I would love it that way as well.

Currently my system requires clicking the 3 dotd, navigating to the location/previous mix. Selecting this, then entering the filename box to edit the name... over and over all day...

14 minutes ago, Keni said:

I think what he's referring to is that it has the tag in the field requiring the pasting/typing the name if you wish to add/modify the name as in adding a number to the export name.

If it placed the actual name that the tag refers to only a quick edit of the number is needed.

I would love it that way as well.

Currently my system requires clicking the 3 dotd, navigating to the location/previous mix. Selecting this, then entering the filename box to edit the name... over and over all day...

There's absolutely nothing stopping you from entering literal characters as well, e.g.

{projectname} 1

is perfectly valid.

Also:
1.  You don't need to use the tag editor, you can just type the tags in
2.  You can use the abbreviated tags, e.g. {P}  instead of {projectname}
3.  You can type literal characters while the tag editor is still showing

So 

{P} 1

on a project called My Test Song.cwp

would create a filename of:

My Test Song 1.wav