2021.09 Feedback

Morten Saether

5 hours ago, GreenLight said:

....but for people with use cases where you regularly export a lot of stems or tracks, it would be very convenient to not have to target that 10x10 pixel box for each and every export... 

We added the tasks functionality for exactly this use case.  If you add tasks for your exports, you shouldn't have to keep going in and out of the dialog for each and every export, just check the tasks you want exported and let it export them all at once.

1 hour ago, Noel Borthwick said:

You don't have to. Opening the export dialog again automatically dismisses it.

I agree with GreenLight.  In work flow it is more likely you would do something else after you finish an export other than reopening it again.

This would be a good procedure for rescan plugins too. 

Leave them both up and clicking or keyboard anywhere "except the dialogue link"  would clear messages. Dialogue "x" close should be left in the window.

Clicking or keyboard anywhere on the main screen could clear all of these - consistency.  A variable timer function could also be added in preferences as well for leaving them up for a little bit. 

Export dialogue notification - click/keyboard anywhere closes except - clicking the link to export - The click link is a great idea and I think everyone loves this!

Scan Plugins notification - click/keyboard anywhere closes except - add a click link to the file "C:\Users\xxxxxxxxxx\AppData\Roaming\Cakewalk\Logs\VstScan.log"

Scan added/removed notification - click/keyboard closes both - I wish scan would make a added / deleted list -  I know I could look in scan through the log but it's got a lot of info in it. I use scook's VST Inventory  tool. There could be a link to it in this notification, or a short text file would be great.

Thanks for your consideration of these. Making them all the same would be a good thing.1505615264_CakenewNotifications.thumb.jpg.d7c83936cbd988170db03e3bf114b045.jpg

Edited by Max Arwood
Added graphics

2 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Still requires extra mousing and clicking.

My only salvation for this is now it at least goes away if I open a different project. So it can mostly be ignored by me, but I still find it annoying!

OK, rude interruption in my life, but I'm back.    I had posted [page 7]

https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php?/profile/9553-dave-coomber/

and got a reply that a private message was sent to me.   Uhmmm.....    ?  Where?  How do I read it? 

I did see the reply from Syphus telling me to look in Downloads\Cakewalk.  Thank you - I can be dense at times.

But my problem is unchanged:  I have operating on my computer Cakewalk.exe  file version  27.6.0.53,  product version 2021.6  Size - 32.9 MB

In the download folder I have "Cakewalk_by_BandLab_Update_Setup_27.09.0.145.exe"  [file version  27.9.0.145 = product version]  size = 49,441KB.

Double click on the update file still produces  "This installer requires Cakewalk by Bandlab version 2021.6"

Any help would be apreciated, or advice as to if this update is worth having.  Meanwhile I'll be working on finding where "Private Messaging" operates.

Well,  I figured out the Private Message - a little envelope, etc.   Followed its directions to download a 550MB file - ten time the size of the "update".  Norton said it was safe, so who am I to judge?  This program ran without the 2021.6 issue, BUT it looks like a complete install of everything.  I MIGHT go ahead with this, BUT...  this program wants to install VSTs in the wrong directory from where they currently are.  I was assuming this would be a "cleanup".  The selectability of where the VSTs will go is greyed out, so I cannot correct this.  There seems to be no way to just install cakewalk.exe only.  Thus I do not have the faith to move forward with this.  I have a currently working system that I spent a lot of time setting up, and you may guess by my lack of attendance here, I do not have that kind of time.

Is there an update version that is not so fussy about the current version [doesn't need to check it] that uses the registry settings I currently have and will leave my disc structure alone?   Is the update even needed?

Is it AT ALL possible to get the 2021.6 update, and maybe I could start there with a redo of that?

Edited by dave coomber

15 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

15 hours ago, msmcleod said:

We added the tasks functionality for exactly this use case.  If you add tasks for your exports, you shouldn't have to keep going in and out of the dialog for each and every export, just check the tasks you want exported and let it export them all at once.

To @Noel Borthwick and @msmcleod - True, it's dismissed when the export dialog is opened. :) To be honest, the "multiple export scenario" was just an offhand remark, it is not common in my personal workflow.

Just as @Max Arwood said: for "[our] work flow it is more likely you would do something else after you finish an export other than reopening [the Export Dialog] it again."

This is a very interesting case of strong diametrical opinions on a very small detail. 😀 But the devil's always in the details, right...

My case against it: A persistent dialog just adds an unnecessary mouse click to dismiss. Mouse clicks should be considered "expensive" and adding new ones should be very carefully considered, especially in DAW usage where heavy usage and RSI is pretty common. (Minor extra: it's not consistent, as no other toast dialogs are persistent.)

What's your case for it – why do you find it important to have it persist? :)

https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php?/profile/65-scook/

I have a folder named VSTs where I place all the VSTs.  This folder has all the stuff that are shown as what will be installed. In this folder is a subfolder named X1plugins which as the name implies, is the stuff from previous Sonar.   THIS is where the installer wants to put everything.  

The structure I have is currently working.  I do not want to have to clean up after this installer doubles up my VSTs.

Edited by dave coomber

1 minute ago, GreenLight said:

What's your case for it – why do you find it important to have it persist? :)

Typically when I do an export, I'll take that opportunity to grab a coffee, so:

1. I want to see that it's completed successfully ( the notification will also show any errors )
2. I want to navigate to the location so I can copy it elsewhere or listen to it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, msmcleod said:

1. I want to see that it's completed successfully ( the notification will also show any errors )
2. I want to navigate to the location so I can copy it elsewhere or listen to it.

I of course agree with #1, and I understand #2, although I don't need the file link myself, as I use a file manager (Total Commander).

Both would still be fulfilled – and me and Max (and a few others I've seen) would be happy to have one mouse click less – if it persisted until the user clicks anywhere in Cakewalk. :) How about that idea... not too bad, eh? ;)

• Like 1

I don't mind the persistent toast myself, but I also wouldn't be opposed to an .ini entry for something like ShowExportToastTime=0  where 0 is persistent and set by default, but you could also specify the number of seconds, so ShowExportToastTime=5 would be 5 seconds to show the toast before it gets dismissed.

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 2

* Same problem with the exports on version 145, too, consistent with every build since the 09 update. Since the update, exporting is consistently a nightmare.

After you work a while on the project, it exports silence - both via the new dialog or the Control Bar export. The best it does - sometimes, rarely - it just mutes certain tracks - sometimes audio, sometimes midi.

I have to close the project and open it up again.

* Same problem with recognizing the end of the project badly - on the latest one, about 32 bars further. It doesn't display anything in the track lanes that you can identify as causing the problem, and delete.

* This latest project never opens with the Arranger sections strip view On, even though it's saved like that, and for a while now, it doesn't save the Wet Only setting for Nasty DLA mkII. So, even on reopen I have to remember to modify a lot of stuff, before I can retry exporting, to see if it works that time around. For a while, the Wet Only setting was remembered - together with the Arranger strip visualization, they seem to work/not work in tandem - so I thought the problem was solved, but, no, it isn't. It's still there. 😒

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Kevin Perry said:

Or like some.applications have a tickbox to say "Open export locatiom on completion".  No need for toast at all then.

That sounds like a good solution. I thought at first it would be best to have the check box under notifications in Preferences, but your idea is better. Most of the time I don't want it to open, but on occasion I would. I think adding that box near the Export button would be convenient,

• Like 1

Referring to: https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php?/profile/9553-dave-coomber/

Does ANYBODY know where I can obtain the 2021.6 update?  My thought is that something happened with it that does not seem to affect operation, but blocks the 2021.9 update. 

I think it is worth a try to run this update and see if the 2021.9 will install then.  It seems I deleted 2021.6 update during a disc clean-up.  I have seen lots of software sites that keep previous updates available for these kinds of reasons.  How about you Bandlab?

Edited by dave coomber
clarity

7 hours ago, msmcleod said:

At least on my system, the box is actually very, very persistent. It's on top of all other applications as well, not just Cakewalk... and it stays even if I minimize Cakewalk.

I reckon our dear export dialog box has gotten a bit of hubris... it's either that, or it's hunting me!  😂 😨

So, anyway I understand your reasons and they don't contradict my opinion. Do you & Noel get where I, Max, Keni, etc are coming from, when we don't like extra clicks?

persistent.png.64e395765b71c55e60d739b2716a0608.pngdesktop.png.b8e7ffb62943a476bae0c2923a31ade2.png

Edited by GreenLight
Added question for msmcleod :)

3 hours ago, dave coomber said:

Referring to: https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php?/profile/9553-dave-coomber/

Does ANYBODY know where I can obtain the 2021.6 update?  My thought is that something happened with it that does not seem to affect operation, but blocks the 2021.9 update. 

I think it is worth a try to run this update and see if the 2021.9 will install then.  It seems I deleted 2021.6 update during a disc clean-up.  I have seen lots of software sites that keep previous updates available for these kinds of reasons.  How about you Bandlab?

I sent you a PM. I saw you wondering about where to find PM's earlier: look at the very top right, click on the envelope icon. :)

Hi guys, I have one question about this topic :

Improved handling of aux tracks and sidechains when exporting or soloing tracks

When exporting with source category Tracks, sidechain or aux track sends or outputs are now properly included in the export for the track containing the sidechain.  The same applies to aux tracks. 

When soloing a track that contains a sidechain plugin, any sends from other tracks in the project are now automatically included, similarly to how it behaves with sends to aux tracks.

This behaviour should be valid for buses too, right?

I was wondering this, because when I have 2 buses that contain sidechained tracks (ex: 1 bus with the drum tracks, and another bus with 2 bass tracks, mic and DI) and I solo these buses, the sidechain compression effect between the bass and  the kick drum  is lost (the input in the compressor  dissapears). I don't know if this is a normal behaviour, and if it is, how could I listen to the sidechain compression when I solo buses?

Thanks in advance

I'm having problems updating to 20.9 from 20.6. BandLab assistant just stand blinking on 'Downloading... (0/0)' forever. 

I believe I have the latest version of assistant, v10.0.4. Any clue as to what can be wrong ? Tried repeatedly for over a week now.