2021.09 Feedback

Morten Saether

After updating to 141, the export function didn't work for almost 2 days. It either exported silence, or exported the song with no effects at all - including guitar amps, etc. - or with only some of the tracks audible, some of the tracks coming in and out. This was for both the new menu and for exporting from from the control bar. It just started reworking by itself.

Yesterday, a spontaneous Waves Element failure - which never caused any problems - completely disabled the master bus, and both sound interfaces made weird fax like crackes/pops/buzzes on opening the project or toggling plugins on/off. Element was on a previously frozen and unfrozen track.

5 minutes ago, OutrageProductions said:

Not mission critical, but upon export of a single project file on my desktop, I get the toast popup.

On my laptop, similar function, I DO NOT get the toast popup.

Let me know if there are any specific settings that I've missed

The toast is not shown when executing export tasks in the queue because tasks can create multiple files in different locations. Its only shown when doing a single export.

20 minutes ago, Olaf said:

After updating to 141, the export function didn't work for almost 2 days. It either exported silence, or exported the song with no effects at all - including guitar amps, etc. - or with only some of the tracks audible, some of the tracks coming in and out. This was for both the new menu and for exporting from from the control bar. It just started reworking by itself.

Yesterday, a spontaneous Waves Element failure - which never caused any problems - completely disabled the master bus, and both sound interfaces made weird fax like crackes/pops/buzzes on opening the project or toggling plugins on/off. Element was on a previously frozen and unfrozen track.

@Olaf if you have any project that exhibits this we'd like to see it. To rule out any of the new stuff did you try turning off effects tails flushing and are you exporting with the buffer size set to "follow playback"? Does this problem still persist?

3 minutes ago, Noel Borthwick said:

did you try turning off effects tails flushing

no, i haven't. i didn't know about the option. but ALL effects were disabled, not just the reverbs.

4 minutes ago, Noel Borthwick said:

are you exporting with the buffer size set to "follow playback"?

yes, that was the setting.

4 minutes ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Does this problem still persist?

no, it restarted working by itself. for now i am using a 140 buffer, and it's working.

3 hours ago, Adam said:

Hi @Noel Borthwick,

As requested, reporting a Cakewalk fault on this thread.

I'm a pro user who is a hybrid mixer (a digital/analog integrated setup) and make use of the 'external insert' function within Cakewalk.

The first problem I'd like to report, which I know you're aware of, is the external insert only allows two mono returns, but, does not allow two mono sends (and, when assigning analog outboard in the input and output drivers in Cakewalk preferences, we only have the option to label things in stereo pairs).  This is a major functional flaw for a hybrid mixer, as, it means we can't  send two mono analog returns to two consecutive analog inputs as Cakewalk will route a stereo signal through to them from one channel, thus, making the second channel unusable.  So, for example, I have an 1176 compressor and an LA2A compressor  in my rack, routed to inputs 1 and 2 consecutively, and routed to outputs 1 and 2 consecutively.  I would like to insert the 1176 to a mono bass track in channel 1 on cakewalk, and, insert the LA2A to a vocal track in channel 2 on cakewalk.  This is not possible: I have to assign the mono compressor across a stereo channel send and both mono compressors can only be used in the one track.  For me to get two usable mono analog units inserted into Cakewalk, I have to route to two stereo sends on Cakewalk (so, one mono compressor will send to track 1-2 and the other mono compressor will send to tracks 3-4, even though, I only want them sending to one track), thus, wasting away precious DA converters that I've spent an enormous amount of money on.  

The second problem, which has only just started occuring since I updated to Build 120, 64 Bit, is when soloing a track with an external insert in the Cakewalk FX rack, the audio stops (while the session is still playing).  This has been the case for a long time when soloing a buss with an external insert in the FX rack, but now, the same problem occurs when soloing a single track. 

I understand your priority is to not service your pro users who are hybrid mixers, but, this approach to mixing is becoming more common now, and, I'm sad to see Cakewalk getting behind with basic hybrid functionality.  I've been using Cakewalk (as a pro) for over 15 years now, but, if a fix isn't offered soon, I'll be forced to start learning a new DAW, as, I've invested too much in my ADDA conversion to just waste channels with the multiple mono units I'd like to use.  I really don't want to do this; I've been very loyal to Cakewalk and would consider myself an expert user, and, to relearn all the intricacies I know on Cakewalk, would be a massive pain, but, as hybrid mixing is a must in my studio, I have to use what works.  I look forward to hearing from you (and happy to provide more information or conduct tests if necessary).

regards,

Adam Casey

The True Vine Recording Studio

Melbourne, Australia

Hi @Adam Casey,

We're aware of the mono issues with external inserts and its on the backlog for future investigation. Its not that its not important its just that we're a small group and we have had a ton of things to address before getting there. Thanks for your patience and we'll certainly keep you in the loop when we get around to tackling that for sure.

Regarding the solo issue, we tried to reproduce this today and were unable to do so. Would you be able to send us a project that exhibits this behavior so we can investigate it further? Try and eliminate as much as possible from the project to simplify it first, and then save as to a new folder and zip the entire project folder with audio. You can upload it and PM me or @Jonathan Sasor a link to the file.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Olaf said:

no, i haven't. i didn't know about the option. but ALL effects were disabled, not just the reverbs.

yes, that was the setting.

no, it restarted working by itself. for now i am using a 140 buffer, and it's working.

Interesting, do you recall if you were running at a higher buffer size when the issue happened? Any use of surround buses / effects?
I doubt its related to flushing tails but you can disable it in preferences | audio configuration by setting "BounceFlushTailsMaxDurationSec" to 0.

Its hard to say what the cause is for this from your symptoms but if you see a recurrence let us know. We are going to be releasing some fixes this week that solve some other reported issues but they had different symptoms.

@Noel Borthwick  BINGO! Prior to the 2021.09 update I had notifications set ON. They evidently toggled OFF with the update. No big deal, now that I have it re-checked it.

I have had various updates over the last year make some other minor changes to the preferences that took some thought to figure out.

That's why I wish there was a way to export a backup of JUST the preferences and global settings for the entire DAW, but... in the words of my friend Steven Tyler... "Dream On"

58 minutes ago, Noel Borthwick said:

you were running at a higher buffer size when the issue happened?

initially, it was the playback size, then i tried two other values, but with the same result. i tried about 6-7 exports, then let it go.

1 hour ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Any use of surround buses / effects?

No, everything stereo or mono.

1 hour ago, Noel Borthwick said:

if you see a recurrence let us know

i hope i won't, but if i do, i'll let you know.

6 hours ago, Adam said:

The second problem, which has only just started occuring since I updated to Build 120, 64 Bit, is when soloing a track with an external insert in the Cakewalk FX rack, the audio stops (while the session is still playing).  This has been the case for a long time when soloing a buss with an external insert in the FX rack, but now, the same problem occurs when soloing a single track. 

Are you saying it started in 120 and persists in the current release 141, or have you not updated to the final release...?  I'm familiar with the bus-soloing issue, but am not seeing any problem soloing a track with external insert in 141.

For some time now every production release announcement includes a rollback installer

The 2021.09 announcement is no different

There is also an EA version of 2021.09 Update 1 available

If you choose to run the EA 2021.09 Update 1 release and still have problems, post a detailed message in that thread.

3 hours ago, Robert Stringer said:

Cakewalk_by_BandLab_Update_Setup_27.09.0.141  Lots of issues with midi sync and plug integration.  There is not an option to roll back to another version and we need one badly. 

@Robert Stringer what issues specifically? There are no changes that would result in this. 
You can certainly roll back but its unlikely to solve anything.

1 hour ago, Heinz Hupfer said:

HI:)

When I export Busses, is it correct that the selection of a (source) bus isn't saved with a preset?

I normally always export the Master Bus, sometimes my Mix Bus. Not a big deal to deselect all others ......

Thanks;)

Bassman.

Yes, this is correct.

Presets are global so it makes no sense to store project specific information in there.

Tasks however, are project specific... so if you're using a template you could save them as a task in your template project.

• Great Idea 1

@msmcleod

Tried out this:

1. Used a Project Template

2. Selected a Time Portion to Export

3. Export - Audio

4. Loaded my Preset with Busses as Source

5. Select only the Master Bus

6. Select a Task and named it

7. Closed the Export Window

8. Saved as a new Preset

9. Opened the New Template

10. Named  the Project

11. Select a Time Portion

12. Select my Preset in the Export Window

12. I can see the "Saved with the Template" Task, but all "used" Busses are selected and when I Export it, it will write a File for every used Bus.

The Problem is, when I close the Export Window with only the Master Bus selected and I open it again, all busses are selected again, so it's saved with all busses selected in the Template. If the Export Window is open I can't save the Template...... (So sorry I have not used this in the EA time, but have not worked much 3 weeks cause of a heavy depression (no wonder in these bad times))

So how can I save in the Project Template to have only the Master Bus selected? Can't find out....

Thank you very much;)

Bassman.

Edited by Heinz Hupfer