2021.09 Feedback

Morten Saether

Hi!
Nothing works,
rollback says it's not the good  version (it wants 221.06)... and vanish.

New : crash when connecting my  midi keyboard (ICON 64 on a DERIINGER U-PHORIA UMC404, that works since many years without issue)

I'm affraid I need to erase all keys in the registery of my computer (PC Win 10)

On 9/23/2021 at 9:41 AM, Jack Stoner said:

"C'mon, Bandlab! The Assistant app is long overdue for a fix."

I didn't want to say it but I will.  Its a POS with the continual problems I have with updating the app and Cakewalk.

I only use it to get the Cakewalk updates and since I can do it within Cakewalk I really don't need the buggy Bandlab app.

I haven't used the BandLab Assitant since they stopped requiring it for updating Cakewalk. If you don't use the BandLab online for anything, there's really no reason to even have it installed anymore.

On 9/24/2021 at 8:20 PM, Johnny F said:

Something about the new Export feature has me totally stumped....

It used to be the case that you could include in the file info not just the track name but also the artist and album name in such a way that it was digitally 'baked' in. I do understand that you can use tags to include those variables in the file name, but how do you lock that info into the actual file so artist and album name displays underneath the track name in either the wav or mp3 file when you stream it from (for example) Google Drive or Dropbox? I've tried filling the info into the Notes section within CbB before exporting, but it doesn't do this. It only feeds the file naming tags. I hope I've not made this clear as mud! Any help with this would be v much appreciated.

I didn't word this helpfully at all. I'm wondering how you embed metadata and ID3 into WAV or MP3 files via the new export function. Can you even do that now?!

4 minutes ago, Johnny F said:

I didn't word this helpfully at all. I'm wondering how you embed metadata and ID3 into WAV or MP3 files via the new export function. Can you even do that now?!

If you specify MP3 as an output format, the MP3 Export Options dialog will appear either when clicking Export or clicking the "Add Task" button.

When the MP3 Export Options dialog appears, make sure you check the "Encode ID3 info" checkbox:image.thumb.png.2d57aaeae6d20374bbccd272e8cc96e0.png

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

If you specify MP3 as an output format, the MP3 Export Options dialog will appear either when clicking Export or clicking the "Add Task" button.

When the MP3 Export Options dialog appears, make sure you check the "Encode ID3 info" checkbox:image.thumb.png.2d57aaeae6d20374bbccd272e8cc96e0.png

Thank you so much, that's awesome! My self-induced* headache might go away now!

*Because I'm an idiot!

Edited by Johnny F

4 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

My memory may be failing (no comment :-)) but doesn't some of that pull from the Info tab in the browser?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kevin Perry said:

My memory may be failing (no comment :-)) but doesn't some of that pull from the Info tab in the browser?

I filled in the notes pre-export and it didn't fill it in automatically BUT I failed to find the ID3 function at all (as per my initial question) so I'm not a reliable witness!

Just now, Kevin Perry said:

Yes.

The Title and Album are taken from the Name & Album fields from the Notes tab. 

If you're doing a tracks export, the Title field is replaced by the track name.

Fantastic update, the new export system rocks!

Didn't have time to participate in the early access, but one thing that would seem more logical to me is to automatically recall the task settings in the dialog when a task is selected (or have a checkbox somewhere that enables this behaviour), and also a prompt to save changes when selecting a different a task (if the current task is has been changed)

The whole recall task settings / update task settings seems a bit cludgy to me - perhaps it'll be refined in a later update? Can appreciate the line would need to be drawn somewhere on this new dialog, as it's already got soo much functionality.

3 hours ago, Matthew Carr said:

Fantastic update, the new export system rocks!

Didn't have time to participate in the early access, but one thing that would seem more logical to me is to automatically recall the task settings in the dialog when a task is selected (or have a checkbox somewhere that enables this behaviour), and also a prompt to save changes when selecting a different a task (if the current task is has been changed)

The whole recall task settings / update task settings seems a bit cludgy to me - perhaps it'll be refined in a later update? Can appreciate the line would need to be drawn somewhere on this new dialog, as it's already got soo much functionality.

You can double click any task to recall its settings. Recalling automatically would have been potentially annoying if someone just clicked a task.
To save new settings to an existing task you can do it from the drop down menu for the task (button to the right of the task)

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Noel Borthwick said:

You can double click any task to recall its settings. Recalling automatically would have been potentially annoying if someone just clicked a task.
To save new settings to an existing task you can do it from the drop down menu for the task (button to the right of the task)

Yes, I can see that the automatic recall might be annoying,  but at the moment it's hard to see many other reasons for clicking on a task, other than to delete it, rename it, or open the output folder , which could all be handled by the task drop down menu - meaning the default action of clicking on a task line would be a more natural paradigm of form and sub-form. As long there's a prompt to save or cancel any changes (if dirty) before any new task is recalled, then the  recall / save could be automatic, and the options removed from the drop down menu.

The double click is a handy shortcut, but perhaps not be best UI wise

1. Double clicking the task is a 'magic' action -  you wouldn't know to do it unless you've been told
2. If you've double clicked the task, there is nothing to tell you that the dialog is now showing the details of the task that's been double clicked

Not trying to rain on the parade - the new export dialog is a massive step forward and I'm stoked! Just from my perspective it could be slightly more consistent with the way other UIs work.

Cheers,

Matt

25 minutes ago, Milton Sica said:

From what I understand then this ID3 parameterization is global for the entire Cakewalk session and not by project, ie:

From the first parameterization and while Cakewalk is open, no matter how many projects are opened, the ID3 data will be kept as of the first parameterization, forcing me to re-inform the data in each export.

There is a very strange behavior in this parameterization with the data.

My wish is that this ID3 data would also be automatically updated per project and that the tasks would do the same when using the other fields.

Is this possible?

The ID3 data is populated at the time the dialog is opened, based on the current project, and current export criteria.

If you do a track export for example, it will use the track name as the name, and takes the rest from the browser notes tab. It will show a different name for each and every track. 

If you check "Use same settings for all", then it will automatically populate each "name" field with the track name.

For entire mix exports, it'll use the project name.

Whatever is chosen within the dialog will be saved in the task.  It does not get updated if you subsequently change the project name / track name / artist etc.

1 hour ago, Milton Sica said:

Excuse me. I also thought this would be the correct procedure.

But that's not how it happens.

If you parameterize ID3 and record in a task, this data is not recorded as a task parameter.

If I record a task with ID3 song name as TEST this name will be perpetuated for all other files I export. There is no update of information.

My operation uses a project to master several songs.
I import the WAV file, make the final mastering edits and perform 2 tasks that generate a WAV file and an MP3 file.
For every mastering I make I change the song name.
Both WAV and MP3 tasks recognize the song name TAG of the project notes, but the MP3 ID3 does not, keeping the settings used from the first mastered project.

Two projects open in a Cakewalk session

Project 1 - Test

image.png.0c9a37b0c7ec02fd7b5b2fac21c90ef2.png

Project 2 - Test 2

image.png.9e0c6c6efabe5e7ba05d13e8bcc820a7.png

In summary: in the same Cakewalk session the ID3 parameters are kept for the first export and are not written to the task.

Where this ? "If you check "Use same settings for all", then it will automatically populate each "name" field with the track name."

I get what you're saying/asking/requesting. 

In other words: The Mp3 ID3 option can just as well be added to the new EXPORT window and remove this final window entirely. So that means, if you choose any mp3 track tags it will automatically be added to these fields/columns? Make sense to have one window for this. 

Hi @Noel Borthwick,

As requested, reporting a Cakewalk fault on this thread.

I'm a pro user who is a hybrid mixer (a digital/analog integrated setup) and make use of the 'external insert' function within Cakewalk.

The first problem I'd like to report, which I know you're aware of, is the external insert only allows two mono returns, but, does not allow two mono sends (and, when assigning analog outboard in the input and output drivers in Cakewalk preferences, we only have the option to label things in stereo pairs).  This is a major functional flaw for a hybrid mixer, as, it means we can't  send two mono analog returns to two consecutive analog inputs as Cakewalk will route a stereo signal through to them from one channel, thus, making the second channel unusable.  So, for example, I have an 1176 compressor and an LA2A compressor  in my rack, routed to inputs 1 and 2 consecutively, and routed to outputs 1 and 2 consecutively.  I would like to insert the 1176 to a mono bass track in channel 1 on cakewalk, and, insert the LA2A to a vocal track in channel 2 on cakewalk.  This is not possible: I have to assign the mono compressor across a stereo channel send and both mono compressors can only be used in the one track.  For me to get two usable mono analog units inserted into Cakewalk, I have to route to two stereo sends on Cakewalk (so, one mono compressor will send to track 1-2 and the other mono compressor will send to tracks 3-4, even though, I only want them sending to one track), thus, wasting away precious DA converters that I've spent an enormous amount of money on.  

The second problem, which has only just started occuring since I updated to Build 120, 64 Bit, is when soloing a track with an external insert in the Cakewalk FX rack, the audio stops (while the session is still playing).  This has been the case for a long time when soloing a buss with an external insert in the FX rack, but now, the same problem occurs when soloing a single track. 

I understand your priority is to not service your pro users who are hybrid mixers, but, this approach to mixing is becoming more common now, and, I'm sad to see Cakewalk getting behind with basic hybrid functionality.  I've been using Cakewalk (as a pro) for over 15 years now, but, if a fix isn't offered soon, I'll be forced to start learning a new DAW, as, I've invested too much in my ADDA conversion to just waste channels with the multiple mono units I'd like to use.  I really don't want to do this; I've been very loyal to Cakewalk and would consider myself an expert user, and, to relearn all the intricacies I know on Cakewalk, would be a massive pain, but, as hybrid mixing is a must in my studio, I have to use what works.  I look forward to hearing from you (and happy to provide more information or conduct tests if necessary).

regards,

Adam Casey

The True Vine Recording Studio

Melbourne, Australia

Edited by Adam
  • Thanks 1