delete key stopped working

seems to be just this one file, but the delete key has stopped functioning. partially. i can highlight and delete individual notes, but cannot grab whole measures. i also cannot delete sysex data or CC. went to edit>preferences>keyboard shortcuts and initially delete was set to nothing. bound it to edit|delete. that doesn't help. i checked outside of cakewalk to make sure it wasn't just a malfunctioning keyboard but i can delete text in a text file. i can delete midi and audio via the delete key in other cakewalk files. not sure what happened here though. 

I just tested my delete key by:

• recording an audio and a midi track
  • selecting the clip in the midi track
  • selecting the clip in the audio track
  • selecting a section of notes in the staff view
  • selecting a section of notes in the PRV

My PC's delete key successfully deleted each of the selected areas one at a time.

On 9/22/2021 at 10:44 AM, John Vere said:

I find that for some processing I have to right click/edit/delete. The delete key defiantly doesn’t work for everything 

Evidently on my PC it worked for the four things I tried. Make that five:

• created a minimal sysex bank [F0 F7]. My PC's delete button brought up the "Delete sysx bank?" warning / challenge.

Edited by User 905133

Where it doesn’t work was I was splitting a song and using highlight to right of split point. I had to use the Edit/Delete option.

Try it and see. 

Take a whole project, CTRL A to select all, S key to split, Now when you use the Delete key for me the selection flips to unselected and nothing happened.  I just tried this on 3 different projects to test.  These are raw audio tracks no automation etc.  In the undo menu it shows a delete had been performed.

But I can use right click/ edit/ delete just fine. I was thinking they did this for a reason to stop you from deleting large pieces of a project. 

They are rare but I’ve run into a few times the keyboard delete key didn’t work. Therefore why I said that. 

Edited by John Vere

55 minutes ago, John Vere said:

Try it and see. . . .  Take a whole project, CTRL A to select all, S key to split, Now when you use the Delete key for me the selection flips to unselected and nothing happened.   But I can use right click/ edit/ delete just fine. I was thinking they did this for a reason to stop you from deleting large pieces of a project. 

I tried it with an old midi project I was listening to yesterday.  I got the same results: PC's delete reset the selected sections to unselected.  Your alternative deletion method worked for me, too.

Edited by User 905133