IK Multimedia: High CPU on latest AT5 and Lurssen

Jacques Boileau

6 hours ago, Zo said:

Really. Strange , are you cheking asio meter for values or real windows values ? 

I also checked with the Performance Meter in Studio One Pro 5. It gives the actual use of each plugin. There is a marked CPU increase with the recent AT5 updates.

• Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, abacab said:

I also checked with the Performance Meter in Studio One Pro 5. It gives the actual use of each plugin. There is a marked CPU increase with the recent AT5 updates.

Thanks for doing that!

I wished there was something like that in Cakewalk! That would be useful for people with older machines, to gauge which plugins are worth the cpu imprint or, for comparable plugins, which is easier on the cpu.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Jacques Boileau said:

Thanks for doing that!

I wished there was something like that in Cakewalk! That would be useful for people with older machines, to gauge which plugins are worth the cpu imprint or, for comparable plugins, which is easier on the cpu.

Well the way that you and I both looked at the Cakewalk Performance monitor, with only AT5 inserted, it was approximately the same result. About 11% CPU at idle for me with either DAW.

The difference with the monitor in Studio One is that you can look at an entire project with multiple plugins, and see the CPU use for each individual plugin. Helps to locate a "heavy" plugin in the mix.

1 minute ago, abacab said:

Well the way that you and I both looked at the Cakewalk Performance monitor, with only AT5 inserted, it was approximately the same result. About 11% CPU at idle for me with either DAW.

The difference with the monitor in Studio One is that you can look at an entire project with multiple plugins, and see the CPU use for each individual plugin. Helps to locate a "heavy" plugin in the mix.

I also use the standalone + Task manager in Windows as an easier way to gauge AT5 and LMC. But getting CPU usage of a stack of plugins together, man that is nice!

19 minutes ago, Jacques Boileau said:

I also use the standalone + Task manager in Windows as an easier way to gauge AT5 and LMC. But getting CPU usage of a stack of plugins together, man that is nice!

For standalone, Windows Task Manager should be sufficient, as each task is itemized.

So here is an example of a project in Studio One with Lurssen on the Main Bus during playback. Notice the T-RackS 5 SSSR behaving nicely on the instrument track? Compare that to Lurssen, LOL. Obviously Lurssen should be used for mastering, and not in a mix like this, so this is just a demonstration.

However, I would expect AT5 to be more in line like T-RackS 5 is here in a mix...

Studio One Performance Monitor.JPG

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1

And here is the Studio One Performance Monitor showing 1 instance of AT5 with all 4 X-pedals, plus 1 instance of MixBox with White 2A and Ambience modules active,

This is on a Kontakt instrument track with Orange Tree Samples Evolution Rock Standard. Notice here that AT5 is the biggest CPU hog!

Studio-One-Performance-Monitor---AT5.jpg

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, abacab said:

For standalone, Windows Task Manager should be sufficient, as each task is itemized.

So here is an example of a project in Studio One with Lurssen on the Main Bus during playback. Notice the T-RackS 5 SSSR behaving nicely on the instrument track? Compare that to Lurssen, LOL. Obviously Lurssen should be used for mastering, and not in a mix like this, so this is just a demonstration.

However, I would expect AT5 to be more in line like T-RackS 5 is here in a mix...

Studio One Performance Monitor.JPG

True that LMC is not intended to be used on tracks. But it can be used on the master bus to get a quick master for a quick test. But not with that kind of CPU impact unfortunately.

28 minutes ago, Jacques Boileau said:

True that LMC is not intended to be used on tracks. But it can be used on the master bus to get a quick master for a quick test. But not with that kind of CPU impact unfortunately.

Yep, I noticed some cracklies while this track was playing back a MIDI file live. Had to freeze it to get the Lurssen running clean on the Master.

2 minutes ago, abacab said:

Yep, I noticed some cracklies while this track was playing back a MIDI file live. Had to freeze it to get the Lurssen running clean on the Master.

Crackling : exactly what I am experiencing! Even before CPU is too high, crackling happens. Probably short burst of max CPU usage too short to be visible, but enough to heard!

2 minutes ago, Jacques Boileau said:

Crackling : exactly what I am experiencing! Even before CPU is too high, crackling happens. Probably short burst of max CPU usage too short to be visible, but enough to heard!

I have a modern 9th gen Intel Core i5 with 6 cores locked at 4.3GHz.

I get cracklies when a SINGLE core running an audio thread goes over the threshold for that thread. And while the other 5 cores are idling.

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Jacques Boileau said:

A developer needs to code his application to be multi-thread capable. This DAW can share the load across cores, but some signal paths are limited to one core/thread.

Thanks for raising this issue and for all the comparative responses including the screen shots.  I am finding the discussion not only interesting, but very useful as I use older PCs and have only recently (last year or so) decided to make a large-scale move away from hardware (e.g., multiple sound modules, etc.) to soft synths and FX plug-ins. 

Edited by User 905133
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, User 905133 said:

I am finding the discussion not only interesting, but very useful as I use older PCs and have only recently (last year or so) decided to make a large-scale move away from hardware (e.g., multiple sound modules, etc.) to soft synths and FX plug-ins. 

I have been building my own PCs for the past 20 years. And I have been moving away from hardware for the past 10 years. I'm on my 3rd PC in 10 years trying to achieve that goal. LOL!!!

It's like an arms race. Just when you think you have a strong enough machine, along come the developers with some amazing new software... although that's typically more CPU hungry than the previous generation. Sometimes it just is what it is, and other times, maybe there is still some code optimization needed.

I have always been conservative with my PC builds, and on a budget, and always try to stretch the lifetime of older machines. It pains me to "retire" a working PC that still has some legs.

I have found that in the case of older hardware you will need to "strategize" your CPU usage for your projects. Freezing can be your friend. So can using busses to send multiple tracks to one effect plugin. But I am a synth and virtual instrument freak, and rarely use audio tracks. Those instrument tracks + effects can be very heavy!

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1