Screen reader for CbB?

Sidney Earl Goodroe

Hi! Sidroe here!! First, I must say how great it is to still be part of the Cake Universe. The work you guys are doing is incredible!! 

Now, I have a friend who is blind. Back in the day I would assist him in his recording ventures and I must say, what he could accomplish on his own was just amazing. 

He used Sonar 8.5 and a program called Jaws. Just to watch him work was unbelievable!

He recently bought a new computer and was sad to find out that Jaws discontinued support for Sonar.

My question is simple. Are there any screen reading programs out there that is working on CbB? Otherwise He will have to resort to using Sonar 8.5 and the old Jaws scripts and my concern is how stable this would be on Windows 10, much less 11!!

Is there anyone out there using screen readers with good results for CbB?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Up to date there is no usable solution (since X1). But there was  a thread where BandLab has mentioned a movement in that direction, so may be some lucky day Cakewalk is more accessible...

Till than I can suggest another DAW with strong accessibility support and related active community: https://reaperaccessibility.com/index.php/Main_Page

Original scripts for Sonar 8.5 are problematic since Windows 8 because of GUI change. There was rumor with some "classic" schema that was possible with Windows 8, but I doubt there is something stable for Windows 10. Better stay with Windows 7 in this case.

On hardware side, NI keyboards are accessible. I mean Native Kontrol  and so all wrapped synths are accessible using these keyboards (in any DAW, in REAPER a part of DAW controlling as well).

With Behringer X-Touch Compact or USB Gamepad it is possible somehow control Cakewalk accessible way (last time tested long time ago with Platinum), but that will be disappointing experience.

• 7 months later...

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The forum should lock all threads after around 1 month of inactivity. It would most certainly make it much harder for trolls to find food. I someone wants to reference a locked thread it's easy to just post the link to it in your new thread.  This is about the 3rd Zombie thread un earthed by a troll in the last few days. 

Edit: I see the moderators removed the troll/ I guess that's the best thing to do, don't respond, just report them. 

Edited by John Vere
  • Great Idea 2
  • Meh 1