I'm Going Down

Barry Seymour

Another great song here Barry ! Enjoyed this immensely. You've got that driving folk sound you were going for, but seems more electric folk ? At first I wanted to hear more high end in that driving rhythm guitar, but it works in well as the song goes along. Your vocals are so well sung, and clear through all of the song, you have a great and strong voice in this one. Also, really like the driving bass guitar line, you might even reinforce that descending bass part that you use throughout with another electric guitar going along with it, that's got some hook to it for my ears . . . it works OK on headphones, but if you accentuate it with an octave up guitar part, it would work even better with the speaker listen. That's minor stuff . . . overall, it's just an excellent listen !

• Like 1

Here's the next mix. I compressed the vocals a bit more and added reverb. I tried to make them float IN the music instead of above it, and have a similar reverb so it felt more a part of the music. I made a few minor lyrical changes. I also compressed the guitars more, and added some treble, trying to get them to 'pump' more.

Edited by Barry Seymour
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, mark skinner said:

Outstanding ! I really like the way you trail off the low ending phrases in your vocals. Great guitar work and thought I heard a banjo in there mixed low. I think you got a little Springsteen vibe in there as well. Great song.     mark

Thanks for the kind words, it's appreciated.

That sound is not actually a banjo; amazingly,  it's my Strat! I just redid my Frankencaster with vintage pups at neck and middle and a two-pickup Shawbucker on the bridge. The alleged 'banjo' sound you hear is actually the middle pickup! After this latest rework it's a tone monster.

Edited by Barry Seymour
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Old Joad said:

First things first, if that is your axe in the picture, nice..

Cool song, you say you were going for the Mumford and Sons sound you nailed it. plus a touch of Randy Bachman👍

The image is not actually my axe, but it's blue to go with the album title.

Randy Bachman! LOL! You ain't seen nothin' yet. 😉

13 hours ago, Barry Seymour said:

Here's the next mix

I think you've added the "dimension" you were looking for; 👍.
As always great songwriting and strong performances throughout; 👍.

t

If I might make a small suggestion?
Solo starts at ~ 2:14, the second trip thru ~ 2:29, I'd go to the IV instead of
repeating the verse progression.
I'm not suggesting you go back and change it!
That's what I would have lobbied for in pre-production...

Overall another GREAT Barry Seymour production!

• Like 1